Discovery Sport Forum banner
81 - 100 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
2nd of December 2021

Hi there, I'm having the exact same problems with my brand new Discovery Hybrid, and there, still, does not seem to be a solution. LandRover in the Netherlands acknowledges the problem, but don't have an answer yet. And my Discovery is now almost every day from time to time falling out of EV modus (and off course with a fully charged battery).

Can I ask if the problems with your car are solved?
regards, Ingrid
It’s very probably the high voltage coolant heater that’s faulty as was mine. It’s been replaced and now works perfectly. Show your dealership the posts in this thread. There’s a copy of a communication from land rover regarding this problem further back on the thread. That may help your dealership repair your car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks, I will. That would be great!

It’s very probably the high voltage coolant heater that’s faulty as was mine. It’s been replaced and now works perfectly. Show your dealership the posts in this thread. There’s a copy of a communication from land rover regarding this problem further back on the thread. That may help your dealership repair your car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. I have the same problem "ev not available" can only get ev if heater is off not very happy. Car was great never got less than 30 miles on ev average 89.7mpg. But over last few weeks down to 64mpg. Will have to connect dealer. I have had landrover for over 37years. They are not as good as they used to be!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just found this forum and I am having the same problems.Car has done 6900 and refuses to go in to EV or jumps to ICE even with full charge (which is 22 miles just now - a bit rubbish really) The faulty heater scenario would also expalin why heater os so crap. First dealer visit then - can't wait:cry:

·
Registered
2021 P300e HSE Portofino blue
6 Posts
I have a '21 plate P300e and have a slightly different issue. I first noticed the car refused to charge on a public pod point, tried several terminals at the same site with no luck. When I got home my home pod point similarly refused to charge the car. I booked the car in at the local LR dealership where after 2 days they diagnosed the HV heater problem. They managed to charge the car on their DC charger and told me it charged on their AC charger too, although the only evidence was a short video where the charging light went green, which it does for me, but the actual charging is short lived (you can hear the relays in the pod point turn off shortly after this).

The HV heater part is on back order so I have the car back now but it is now exhibiting the same symptoms reported by lots of you here, even when charged it runs on ICE all the time, refuses to switch to EV mode. I'll try the climate control off trick tomorrow.

My concern is that whilst my HV heater element may be faulty (the dealer admitted it's a common issue). I'm concerned there's another issue with the on board charger. I've tried charging on both public DC and AC chargers and DC works fine whereas AC won't charge. I don't want to wait for the heater element, have it fitted and still have issues.

Has anyone else had problems with charging associated with the HV heater failure? I haven't seen any comments about it in this thread but wanted to check. If not I'll get them to look at that again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a '21 plate P300e and have a slightly different issue. I first noticed the car refused to charge on a public pod point, tried several terminals at the same site with no luck. When I got home my home pod point similarly refused to charge the car. I booked the car in at the local LR dealership where after 2 days they diagnosed the HV heater problem. They managed to charge the car on their DC charger and told me it charged on their AC charger too, although the only evidence was a short video where the charging light went green, which it does for me, but the actual charging is short lived (you can hear the relays in the pod point turn off shortly after this).

The HV heater part is on back order so I have the car back now but it is now exhibiting the same symptoms reported by lots of you here, even when charged it runs on ICE all the time, refuses to switch to EV mode. I'll try the climate control off trick tomorrow.

My concern is that whilst my HV heater element may be faulty (the dealer admitted it's a common issue). I'm concerned there's another issue with the on board charger. I've tried charging on both public DC and AC chargers and DC works fine whereas AC won't charge. I don't want to wait for the heater element, have it fitted and still have issues.

Has anyone else had problems with charging associated with the HV heater failure? I haven't seen any comments about it in this thread but wanted to check. If not I'll get them to look at that again.
Hi DozyG.
I’ve had my HV heater replaced and EV now works well, however I always charge at home with no issues. Prior to having the heater replaced I did have an issue once trying to charge at my local IKEA. It wouldn’t charge at all and I gave up thinking it was probably the charging point. Not tried it since as I usually charge at home but maybe it was my car and not the IKEA charger?? Sorry doesn’t help you much but perhaps it’s the same thing you’re experiencing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I've certainly had the odd issue with charging at particular charge points but put that down to compatibility issues (so many different charging networks and hardware, so many EV manufacturers etc.) The issue I'm seeing seems to be to do with the type of charging, AC vs DC. I've tried on 4 different AC points including my home charger and none have worked.

I think I may contact the dealer again as, like you, the vast majority of my charging is at home so losing that is a major issue for me. And given the absence of this symptom in any of the other posts on this thread it feels like a separate issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried the "turning off the climate control" hack suggested by many people and that works, the car runs in full EV mode quite happily so that seems to confirm the heater is definitely broken too.

·
Registered
346 Posts
@DozyG The first thing the car charging system does when connected to an AC charger is transform that to DC, so I’d make a guess that you have a faulty AC-DC transformer, especially if the car is charging OK on DC chargers. I can’t see how a faulty heater could cause charging problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's what I feared (no such thing as an AC battery after all). The dealer tried to convince me that it was due to the HV coolant system issue as apparently it cools the battery as well as heating it, but I pointed out that this was far more likely to be an issue when pushing 32kW into the battery pack than 7kW. It's booked back in on Friday for them to investigate.

That brings the number of faults up to 3 for my 7 month old car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
Small update from my side as I have the same problem.

My car has been in the garage for 2 weeks due to 2 problems: adaptive cruise control not working (after collision with a bird 5 months ago) and the EV problem not working correctly. The first problem was solved, but not the second one, because of the lack of available parts.

The problem seems to be well known now. 13 vehicles in the case and waiting in my garage. But no parts are available and no date for receiving them...

In short, a hybrid vehicle that is not so hybrid at the moment, a willing garage, but a manufacturer who cannot deliver the parts to solve this problem...

I read here that some got the parts and the problem solved. Is that right ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Land Rover assistance were out on Sunday to look at mine.Confirmed error code stored - the one that relates to high voltage heater. He drove it a couple of mile and said EV was working fine so recorded fault as intermitant. Bulls**t - its not run on EV for 6 weeks except for maybe 1/2 mile here and there. Anyhoo, ealierst dealer could look at it is 6th January. I asked the service girl if I should keep all my petrol receipts so LR could compensate me for not actually now having a hybrid. No response. And no courtesy car. Can anyone confirm what I heard that LR Assistance will hire a car for you if no courtesy car available?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I took my car to the dealer Dec-08. They could confirm ”a part” needs to be replaced.
They received the heater one week later here in Northern Finland and booked my car in on Dec-30.
And here for services under warranty a courtesy car is provided by this multi-dealer. Last time I got a BMW 2-series. They offered me a Volvo 40 but that was too small for my needs then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ah - so it seems some countries are getting the part. Fingers crossed then for UK. You do feel though that we owners are actually just testing out the technology for JLR. These stop gap hybrids were rushed in to please the green brigade before the technology was proven in the field- I fear the worse. Mine is a 3 year company lease vehicle - doubt it will be on the road for all of the 3 years.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You do feel though that we owners are actually just testing out the technology for JLR. These stop gap hybrids were rushed in to please the green brigade before the technology was proven in the field- I fear the worse.
The plug-in technology might be new to JLR but not necessarily that new to the heater manufacturer (Webasto or Borg Warner?).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fair point. Just seems odd that there are so many failures across the range which seems to be dowm to this one part. I hope the replacement has been up-graded and lasts a good bit longer. From your car history you must be a LR fan.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Fair point. Just seems odd that there are so many failures across the range which seems to be dowm to this one part. I hope the replacement has been up-graded and lasts a good bit longer. From your car history you must be a LR fan.
It’s a heater, almost certainly made by one of the manufacturers mentioned above and either appears that there’s a faulty batch for some reason or the part hasn’t been specified correctly and isn’t beefy enough for the job. I find the latter unlikely but not impossible.

An auxiliary heater is not a device that was invented specifically for electric vehicles, so to claim that these vehicles are a testing the technology in relation to a heater is a tenuous link.

81 - 100 of 171 Posts