Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m afraid I will add my experience to a long list of similar issues. My car was registered in March 21 and like many others it ran in EV mode happily for a few months. Then after a couple of remote software updates - that incidentally caused a few other temporary glitches with the sound system and satnav- the problem of the EV being temporarily unavailable has got worse and worse. It even jumps out of EV mode when sat stationary at traffic lights! The car has been into JLR and had numerous software updates after diagnostic checks and they said that had sorted the problem. I hadn’t even got back in the motorway from the dealership and it started playing up again, so no improvement. It’s going in again for 2-3’days this week so will update if they manage to sort the issue.
As many of posts have stated, this is incredibly frustrating given we have paid around £55k for a car that doesn’t work! We based our affordability on the fact we would be saving a considerable amount on fuel as I only generally drive around 30miles a day max, which should be done on a full EV charge.
I will mention the volume of similar experiences to the dealership, watch this space!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi FThewlis

Looking forward to hearing the outcome of your next visit to the dealer. Mine goes in 8/11 for a full week. I’ll certainly post back.

It would be useful for us to post our software versions because some have suggested the problem was fixed with ‘the latest software’ and I have been waiting for this latest software for about a month now.

Mine is 2.1.3e installed 18th September.

Regards
Hi, burtonjk,

My latest software is the same as yoursinstalled 17/9. Although it was last in the dealership on 6/10 when they said they’d installed around 6 different updates however these aren’t showing on the screen!
I’ll ask about this on Wednesday on my next visit.
will let you know what they say.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Problems solved with latest software update today!
Works perfect and stays in EV even with climate control on and towing a trailer.
Hi Horrie,

please can you let us know which software version seems to have cured your EV issue.
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Car has been at the dealership since Wednesday, they’ve found a fault with the heater - there’s a shock! Part is on back order so god only knows when it will be sorted! Ridiculous for a 6mth old car. I’ve got a scratch on one of my black gloss alloys so going to ask them to sort it as some sort of compensation….won’t hold my breath.
Will update on here if and when the issue is fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good luck RichardP1, let’s hope it is the coolant heater! Mine is still in the workshop waiting for the part on back order, it’s been there since last Wednesday and no sign of a date yet!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a March 21 evoque p300e - I’ve had EV issues where the car just suddenly decided to kick the engine on despite being in EV mode and won’t switch back. It’s spent a total of 10 weeks at the dealership since sept . I’ve had software updates, a new rear electric driver unit but they decided it was a “build up of static” and have put “hydrogel” on something - basically the car is not fixed. EV mode is constantly overridden by the petrol engine and it seems random when it happens.

it’s going back again this week. I’ve had £1000 compensation from land rover so I hope you are all getting the same. The EV engineer told me it might be a high voltage coolant thing ????? But basically he has not idea .
I’ve already told them I’m about to give the car back and want a full refund for a car that’s never worked right .

seems like they just aren’t there withEV/hybrid technology ☹
My disco sport has been in for almost 3 weeks and still no sign of the high voltage coolant heater! I’ve asked them to repair a scratched alloy which they are doing whilst the car is sat in their workshop and they’re also giving me a free service. However it’s good to know you got £1000 compensation so if the issue continues I’ll be onto them! Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve been holding off responding as I had all the issues you’ve all been experiencing however the issue was eventually diagnosed by my dealer technician after it being in the dealership on two occasions over a 7 week period.
Firstly they change the heater unit, completed several updates on software that hadn’t downloaded, changed out some control modules however these amendments never resolved the issue. It wasn’t until I took out the technician and showed him the problems I was experiencing that things moved forward. He discussed the matter with the LR technical team at HQ and the fault was traced to a fuel module that had got corrupted and lost memory. The technician took the car through a learning cycle which cured the cars issue completely. No more problems driving in Hybrid or EV mode.
The HQ technical team should be aware of this matter and I would suggest you discuss this with your own dealers. Obviously this was my experience and yours may be the same. Hope it helps.
Thanks triggers broom. I’ve copied your post and emailed it to the dealership so they’ve no excuse! I’ve been told the eta for my coolant heater is Tuesday next week so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, after just over 3 weeks at the dealership I’ve finally got my car back with a new high voltage coolant heater, several software updates and an engine re-learn!! So far so good, done around 45miles and all on EV (not on one charge obviously!) No reverting to ICE or hybrid.
They told me last week that due to parts shortages, the part wouldn’t be in until December however it came in on Wednesday. Got my car back yesterday.
So far, as a goodwill gesture they’ve repaired a scuffed black gloss alloy and given me a free service plan so it’s worth asking what they will do to compensate for the inconvenience.
Good luck everyone! Keep the faith because when it works as it should it’s a lovely car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks - I have it booked in for a strange noise under braking (intermitantly) when using the EV - I've added it to the list but hopefully sorts its self out! Interested if anyone else has had the braking noise - sounds a little like a grinding and only happens sometimes!
I had the slight grinding noise when I picked mine up after being in for 3 weeks to sort the high voltage heater problem. As I drove out of the service area an noticed it so drove around the compound for a few minutes and went straight back into the service area. The engineer got in the car with me and he agreed he could hear/feel it too. They had a quick look and said it was dust/rust on the brakes due to being stood still for 3’weeks. I don’t think I’ve heard it since but I’ll keep my ears open now!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
2nd of December 2021

Hi there, I'm having the exact same problems with my brand new Discovery Hybrid, and there, still, does not seem to be a solution. LandRover in the Netherlands acknowledges the problem, but don't have an answer yet. And my Discovery is now almost every day from time to time falling out of EV modus (and off course with a fully charged battery).

Can I ask if the problems with your car are solved?
regards, Ingrid
It’s very probably the high voltage coolant heater that’s faulty as was mine. It’s been replaced and now works perfectly. Show your dealership the posts in this thread. There’s a copy of a communication from land rover regarding this problem further back on the thread. That may help your dealership repair your car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a '21 plate P300e and have a slightly different issue. I first noticed the car refused to charge on a public pod point, tried several terminals at the same site with no luck. When I got home my home pod point similarly refused to charge the car. I booked the car in at the local LR dealership where after 2 days they diagnosed the HV heater problem. They managed to charge the car on their DC charger and told me it charged on their AC charger too, although the only evidence was a short video where the charging light went green, which it does for me, but the actual charging is short lived (you can hear the relays in the pod point turn off shortly after this).

The HV heater part is on back order so I have the car back now but it is now exhibiting the same symptoms reported by lots of you here, even when charged it runs on ICE all the time, refuses to switch to EV mode. I'll try the climate control off trick tomorrow.

My concern is that whilst my HV heater element may be faulty (the dealer admitted it's a common issue). I'm concerned there's another issue with the on board charger. I've tried charging on both public DC and AC chargers and DC works fine whereas AC won't charge. I don't want to wait for the heater element, have it fitted and still have issues.

Has anyone else had problems with charging associated with the HV heater failure? I haven't seen any comments about it in this thread but wanted to check. If not I'll get them to look at that again.
Hi DozyG.
I’ve had my HV heater replaced and EV now works well, however I always charge at home with no issues. Prior to having the heater replaced I did have an issue once trying to charge at my local IKEA. It wouldn’t charge at all and I gave up thinking it was probably the charging point. Not tried it since as I usually charge at home but maybe it was my car and not the IKEA charger?? Sorry doesn’t help you much but perhaps it’s the same thing you’re experiencing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts