Discovery Sport Forum banner
101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Interesting. I have smelt something on and off and put it down to the DPF being cleaned.

My car is within that VIN range :(

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
RPR said:
Interesting. I have smelt something on and off and put it down to the DPF being cleaned.

I think you still might be smelling the DPF, this connection if faulty would smell all the time as it's up in the engine bay near the turbo.

The document posted is for cars between the factory and customer (well, end customer as LRs customer is the dealer), a document for cars in the field hasn't been posted, it may be an issue affecting only a few cars hence not a major campaign.

Not sure why it's being dragged up again.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Dashnine said:
RPR said:

I think you still might be smelling the DPF, this connection if faulty would smell all the time as it's up in the engine bay near the turbo.

The document posted is for cars between the factory and customer (well, end customer as LRs customer is the dealer), a document for cars in the field hasn't been posted, it may be an issue affecting only a few cars hence not a major campaign.

I guess we'll wait and see

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dashnine said:
I might be able to help you there. How about:

...because JLR considers this to be of such high importance that it recently ordered dealers to inspect all vehicles prior to their handover and to delay delivery if necessary with a cock and bull story about "an upgrade to be completed on your vehicle" being the cause ?
...because JLR has so far done nothing about issuing instructions to its dealers in respect of the other half million at-risk owners and their families ?
...because there have already been dozens of reports about fumes in four separate threads on the forum with fresh reports appearing regularly ?
...because carbon monoxide is a lethal gas with no colour or odour which is present in copious quantities in untreated car exhaust ?
...because there is a potential fire hazard ?
...because until this thread everyone appears to have been scratching their heads about the peculiar odours that these cars are known to emit ?

Surely, this is a topic which should be of interest to everyone. Certainly, if I owned one, I would be very grateful to those responsible for providing such clear information and I would have had my head straight under the bonnet to check whether or not I might be ingesting poisonous CO gas without my knowledge.

In what perverted world view is this an issue that is being "dragged up again"? It is an absolute disgrace that in the 21st century cars were allowed to leave any factory in such a dangerous condition. But, as I have discovered in relation to other matters, nothing is surprising when it comes to Land Rover and what it attempts to conceal to the detriment of its customers. The strange thing is that people defend it like it was some kind of deity.

·
Registered
500 Posts
TeddyBear said:
If I owned one, I would be very grateful to those responsible for providing such clear information and I would have had my head straight under the bonnet to check whether or not I might be ingesting poisonous CO gas without my knowledge.
Whilst carbon monoxide on its own is invisible and odourless, fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately if you are a JLR exhaust engineer who has to deal with all the other stuff) what comes out of an untreated exhaust contains plenty of other smelly and smokey components that mean you can't be exposed to exhaust gas and therefore CO without realising it.

Whilst no-one wants exhaust gas coming in, I would imagine that the % of affected vehicles is low, and that when it happens the owner tends to notice and go to a dealer. Hopefully the dealers are now aware of where the issue is which should lead to a quick fix. I imagine the advice from LR ought to be either pull over and call LR assist, or if you are near a dealer, open the windows and drive straight there.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
TeddyBear said:
Dashnine said:
I might be able to help you there. How about:

...because JLR considers this to be of such high importance that it recently ordered dealers to inspect all vehicles prior to their handover and to delay delivery if necessary with a cock and bull story about "an upgrade to be completed on your vehicle" being the cause ?
...because JLR has so far done nothing about issuing instructions to its dealers in respect of the other half million at-risk owners and their families ?
...because there have already been dozens of reports about fumes in four separate threads on the forum with fresh reports appearing regularly ?
...because carbon monoxide is a lethal gas with no colour or odour which is present in copious quantities in untreated car exhaust ?
...because there is a potential fire hazard ?
...because until this thread everyone appears to have been scratching their heads about the peculiar odours that these cars are known to emit ?

Surely, this is a topic which should be of interest to everyone. Certainly, if I owned one, I would be very grateful to those responsible for providing such clear information and I would have had my head straight under the bonnet to check whether or not I might be ingesting poisonous CO gas without my knowledge.

In what perverted world view is this an issue that is being "dragged up again"? It is an absolute disgrace that in the 21st century cars were allowed to leave any factory in such a dangerous condition. But, as I have discovered in relation to other matters, nothing is surprising when it comes to Land Rover and what it attempts to conceal to the detriment of its customers. The strange thing is that people defend it like it was some kind of deity.
If it's so serious, why has no-one paid for a Topix subscription and trawled for the action to fix all customer cars? Is there an action for fix all customer cars? If not, why not? This is where all the conspiracy theorists leap in, including those who don't even own a DS and seem intent of trashing LR (in traditional British fashion) and dragging up threads to keep them at the top of the What's New page.

My DS certainly didn't have this, so if it's so critical how about a poll to determine how many owners have had such a (continuous, non DPF burn) smell?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ian_S said:
I would imagine that the % of affected vehicles is low, and that when it happens the owner tends to notice and go to a dealer. Hopefully the dealers are now aware of where the issue is which should lead to a quick fix. I imagine the advice from LR ought to be either pull over and call LR assist, or if you are near a dealer, open the windows and drive straight there.
No-one knows how many there are until they check. Apparently the dealers are not all aware of the correct action to take and, judging by the attitudes exhibited in the examples below, they don't particularly care anyway. I am just wondering many serious injuries are acceptable in 2019 ?

rmoconnor41 said:
Within a week of taking delivery there was a smell of fumes. Took the vehicle back to the dealer. Assured it was just the smell of wax left on the vehicle following manufacture.
This smell kept returning and the vehicle went back several times.
Fumes returned with a vengeance four weeks ago and the vehicle went back again.
This time the dealer found that a down pipe flange was misaligned and there was soot evident.
So this looks like a problem during manufacture
Rogc said:
As per the title.
My previous my17 was rejected due to fumes entering the cabing during dpf regeneration. This started at 1000 miles. My replacement then started to do the same at 6k. I have again started the rejection process, however the dealer is stating that lr have no knowledge of this affecting the my 18. I am therefore looking for anyone experiencing similar problems.
NoMoreCrap said:
I've read on a few different forums that there are people complaining about a burning smell coming through the air vents of their discovery sports. This normally occurs when the car is at a standstill after doing a small run (this normally happens when the engine has reached temperature.) the car has been taken into the dealership on more than four occasions for this fault to be diagnosed. On all four occasions they failed to diagnose what the fault was. I started to grow concerned when my two boys, nearly 14 years of age, all of a sudden, became travel sick. It was after speaking to a gas fitter that it was suggested that I might want to purchase a carbon monoxide detector . Sure enough, not only when the burning smell occurred but also without the burning smell, I was getting a reading of 30 parts per million. This didn't mean anything to me but apparently it is dangerous and particularly harmful to children. There are known cases of this in America in which it has put the driver to sleep while driving a vehicle and killed the occupants, I'm not in anyway saying that it's a discovery sport that they were driving and to my knowledge it wasn't.

I made a video to show Land Rover the carbon monoxide reading to which they did seem to take the issue seriously. They said that head office was not aware of any such burning smell being reported to them. I was essentially sent away and told to wait approximately a month before they could get my vehicle in for investigation to diagnose the fault. When asked what I should do in the meantime regarding the burning smell, the manager simply replied "put the re-circ on or wind the windows down". I wasn't happy with this and raised my dispute with Land Rover head office who got my car in earlier to be diagnosed. The senior technician showed me a picture that head office had sent him as to where to look for the fault. He also confirmed they [JLR] were aware of the issue. The problem seems to be a part that connects to the catalytic converter being deformed, leaving a small gap allowing fumes to escape in to the cabin of the car. My car is still with the main dealer (about 12 days now) waiting for this part to be repaired. I have asked both the finance company and the main dealer if they would allow me to reject the car amicably to which they refused. My car has been in the main dealer over ten times for problems with the brakes squeaking, rear seat squeaking, other parts squeaking from the rear of the car, scratches being removed from the car on three separate occasions from being caused by the dealership washing the car when specifically being asked not to and finally, the back brake lights filling with water. Apparently, because they didn't find the fault for the burning smell on the first, second or third occasion, it does not qualify for the vehicle being rejected. Trying to reject the vehicle because the brakes are squeaking and also the damage caused to the body work doesn't qualify as a fault. Anyone who has a burning smell inside the car would be advised to buy a handheld carbon monoxide detector, in fact, I would recommend that anyone with a discovery sport should invest in a carbon monoxide detector as carbon monoxide is odourless. For those that already have or are thinking about investing in a carbon monoxide detector, don't assume everything is safe if the meter does not register immediately, it took a two hour run in the car for me to get the readings I got. I'm more than happy to post the video of the readings on YouTube should anyone be interested.
There are plenty of others here and on the Evoque forum that I could quote but I'm sure most people will see the point.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Dashnine said:
My DS certainly didn't have this, so if it's so critical how about a poll to determine how many owners have had such a (continuous, non DPF burn) smell?
If you think about it for a moment, the regen actually starts when back pressure is at maximum. The post injection is occuring and neat diesel is being burned right there in that section of pipe. It seems logical to me that a leak at this location would be more likely to make itself known during the active regeneration process: which is something that we know is happening three times more often than it was designed to do...

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
N270: "A potential concern has been identified on specific vehicles within the above Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) range."

·
Registered
363 Posts
If only they would specify for the benefit of people like my Evoque-suffering friend specifically which vehicles "specific vehicles" refers to. Didn't we have a similar discussion about the "FB" SCRF and conclude that the reason that they find it difficult to be more "specific" is generally because they don't have a QC system that works ?

Chippy said:
If they have a functioning QC system then they know exactly which parts went into which vehicle. If they have a functioning QC system there is no way that 100% faulty parts can be fitted.

Summary - they don't have a functioning QC system.
Could it be that they just don't know and that this is the reason they are holding back pro-actively checking the "specific vehicles" to which they have referred ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to drag this one up but just to share an experience for others. My 240d had a new DPF due to the original becoming rattly. Following the replacement, I noticed fumes into the cabin on several occasions during regen. I initially ignored, assuming it was the smell generated from new exhaust parts, gaskets etc. On the 5th time, I had to stop and get the kids out. A carbon monoxide detector confirmed the leak. LR assistance attended and diagnosed in 2 minutes, showing me the soot on the heat shield covering the joint mentioned in this bulletin. I guess on this occasion disturbing the exhaust system was probably the root cause, rather than a manufacturing issue. Maybe it just made an existing issue more noticeable.

The dealer had my car for nearly 2 weeks, during this time LR assistance provided a decent courtesy car, after I pushed, so I can't fault them for service. In the end it wasn't just the clamp, it was a misshapen gasket. Even though it was repaired, I decided to trade in. Whilst mildly irrational, I could't make a conscious decision to carry my children in it going forward, my confidence level dropped to zero. For it to leak noticeably during regen pressures leads to a simple conclusion it was potentially seeping all the time...whether it's the design, manufacture or dealer workmanship is irrelevant to me. My view as a parent is that I can make an informed choice, the kids don't get that luxury, they just trust you're keeping them safe...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the forum wrt to writing a post but have used this place a LOT in the last few months or so to help me out with the same 'fumes in cabin' problem I have had with my 'used' DS HSE MY2016 I bought back in March. Purchased 2nd hand with 31k miles and unbelievably the previous owner apparently hadn't noticed this issue!
All I can say is a massive THANKYOU to @VeryDiscoSport and others for the information they have provided on here, especially the USP download, there's nothing like having hardcopy for proof of a company admitting there is a problem when the dealer swears blind there is nothing wrong!!!
So the story begins after only having the car a few weeks and I spot fumes coming predominantly from the driver side wheel arch when parking up outside nursery one day in the sun. The car happened to be going into the dealer (Marshall Landrover - Peterborough) that day with a problem relating to 'DEF quality' on the dash (which I also used this forum to research potential root causes before taking it in). Anyway, I asked the service department to look into the issue whilst the car was in, however on collecting the car at the end of the day they reported no issues, so I didn't think too much of it, they're the experts, they know how to fault find right…..right?
So a week or so later I get a panic phone call from my wife saying she'd had to quickly turn the car off, open the windows and bail the kids (3year old and a 4 month old at the time) out of the back as the cabin was filling with exhaust fumes. She went on to tell me that she had pulled over to respond to a text message when the cabin suddenly started to fill with smoke.
At that point I came back to the forum and did a search, sure enough to find this post by @VeryDiscoSport and the USP. Checking the effected VIN ranges, my vehicle was in the range noted, so at that point I knew I had an issue.
I took the car back into the dealer the next day who, due to not being able to find the service letter on the vehicles electronic log, was 'unable to help'. I explained that the car I had just spent a lot of money on was effectively poisoning my children but they kept their stance and told me there was nothing they could do - CHARMING! I mentioned I'd seen on this forum that people were having a similar problem and there was a USP out for it, he didn't want to listen because 'the system' had no reference to it, what summed it up for me was the chap behind the desk made the comment that 'you shouldn't believe anything you read on 'the forums''!! HAHA
I then decided to ring JLR and see what they had to say. Luckily they assigned an account manager to me (Joe) who listened to the story and the reference I had to the USP and after a couple of back and forth call's had the dealer back in the conversation and in the position where they we're obliged to help.
In the meantime I had another error come on the dash represented by an amber engine management light. After a quick visit by the RAC breakdown man, I was back on the road with apparently a 'sticky EGR valve' that 'is unable to move the full range due to soot so is reporting an error'. The RAC man seemed knowledgeable enough and he instructed that if the error came back I could get rid of it by driving at 2500-3000rpm for 20mins, which worked! However only for a few weeks.
So I went back into the dealer with initially the EGR valve issue, but whilst paying for diagnostics on that I asked them to check I asked them again to check for smoke in the cabin. They came back reporting that it was the EGR filter that was blocked (3.5hrs [email protected]£165/hr and £100 in parts to fix) and there were two possible sources of my exhaust leak, the DEF injector gasket and the turbo actuator shaft (for which they recommended a turbo change which would cost the best part of £2000!), neither of which matched the description of the USP I had shown them…AWESOME WELL DONE AGAIN DEALER!
With having an RAC 12month warranty plan I booked the car in for the filter change and was able to tie it in with the Service Recall that had now gone through to them from Joe. They had the car 2 days and charge over £700 for the privilege. Unknown to me until later conversations was that the RAC extended warranty only covered the first £65/hr labour charge, leaving me to foot the rest, having already paid over £400 for the 12 month cover in the process and having to pay for £100 diagnostic charge as this 'wasn't covered in the T&C's' - talk about being absolutely fleeced!
Anyway, on-going back in to pick the car up at 5pm the next day it apparently wasn't quite ready, so in the meantime went to pay the invoice. I had an initial scan through which seemed ok, but then having paid the total, checked it in detail as I waited for the car to be finished. It was then I checked the itemised invoice to find they had included the parts used for the USP!!! THE CHEAK OF IT! So I went back to the service desk to call them out on it, to be fronted by one of the customer service guys who apparently was unable to help having not being part of the work done..WHAT? I explained the issue but he again insisted he didn't know the history and I would have to wait for a colleague to return from holiday (4 days later) to even have the conversation…JOKER! I did return and the 4 parts we're incorrectly paid for by myself who was eventually rectified and the £60 returned to my account.
I've only had this car just over 6 months and already had more hassle with it and the representing dealer than I have ever had with any other car I've owned which includes a 13 year old 350Z which only consumed fuel, tyres and oil, in that order.
Anyway, thanks for anyone who has made it this far down my little rant, I'm sure I'll probably have more to post if I keep the car for a bit longer, if anyone wants any further info on anything I've mentioned here, hit me back! Just want to thank @VeryDiscoSport once again and all the people on this forum for being open and honest, despite what the joker at Marshall Land Rover Peterborough thinks!
Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
So here I am 4 months later and its finally fixed! Managed to get a person assigned to my issue at Landrover who after much discussion agreed to pay for 4hrs labour carried out at the dealer to fix this. After it was in for another 2 days they managed to do the work in the 4hrs and cover the expense of a couple of gaskets. Apparently it wasn't so much a leak due to the clamp but more of an alignment issue, if I'm to believe what the monkey on the service desk told me. Either way my family and I are no longer being poisoned by my Disco on a daily basis..Bonus!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am inclined to think that LR have not taken this seriously as the problem exists in my MY20 car.
Like many, we noticed fumes in the car normally after a shortish journey at constant speed then coming to a junction stop. The smell then invades the cabin. We reported this and had the car in for checks (other issues as well) and they reported no fault found. Long story short, we ended up being advised by LR that we should call LR assist who duly arrived, found the problem in 10 mins and created this report.

"Customer reports can smell exhaust fumes inside vehicle 1. Run diagnostics, no related dtcs2. Check live data and has done 41 miles since last diesel particulate filter regeneration, soot content @93. Remove turbo clamp heat shield and found signs of an exhaust leak, not excessive but leaking Suspect turbo gasket and clamp required"
This tallied with our last "fumes event" which was approx 40 mins from home :)

The car was delivered on Oct 31st, ex factory early October - so despite the plethora of reports, the factory are still knocking out faulty units.

I'm just glad that we got a definitive cause after a slopey shouldered service department were unable to.

Now, onto that other pesky problem ...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks like the same old faults are reappearing in the new model, has there been any reported DPF/ EGR problems reported.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is the LR Assist report I got:
Seems to be same as this thread?

Scheme Number
LAND ROVER ASSISTANCE
Model
DISCOVERY SPORT
Vehicle Registration Number

Vehicle's Mileage

How we assisted
Customer reports can smell exhaust fumes inside vehicle 1. Run diagnostics, no related dtcs2. Check live data and has done 41 miles since last diesel particulate filter regeneration, soot content @93. Remove turbo clamp heat shield and found signs of an exhaust leak, not excessive but leaking Suspect turbo gasket and clamp required

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Nickk, so they actually found that there was a leak.

I have no noticeable smells in the car unless a regen is or has recently happened, if I stop at a junction somewhere I then get that familiar regen smell. I assumed it was normal, but you were getting clear exhaust smells in the car at other times?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi in the end. Yes, it was my Wife that pointed it out.
I thought it was normal, but when she noticed it and flagged it with me, it was then obviously fumes. Even when stopping when regenerating I don't think you should be getting fumes in the car so it sounds like you may need a replacement gasket like us.
That was the outcome for us, and they are apparently working on fitting the new one today.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Hi all. Not logged in here for ages and no longer have our car. Just like to add that ours was discovered to be a missed seal or gasket at the factory. Exhaust to dpf box so every 1500 miles when there was a burn off cycle we got it all in the cat. Yes very poisonous. We got 2000 pounds from jlr finance. Good luck to you all that still have problems.

101 - 120 of 141 Posts