Discovery Sport Forum banner
141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just thought I’d give an update on the similar issues I’ve been facing with my P300e. Whilst I accepted there may be issues with the heater system and allowed mine to be replaced under warranty, the replacement never resolved the fact that without warning EV mode would become unavailable and the car would only operate on ICE. If I stopped the car, switched of the ignition then started the car again it would revert to electric.
The car would operate as intended by manufacturer for maybe a week or so and then these issues would occur. When I reflected on the circumstances preceding the failure I noticed it all related to JLR pushing SOTA updates to the car.The car was fine until these updates were installed then I’d see no EV mode and the HMI would be greyed out.
After discussion with my local JLR technician he suggested that the SOTA update was affecting the fuelling causing it to revert and causing confusion within the system. The technician completed a re-learn of the fuel adaptive system and the car operated perfectly. My local dealer is now talking with JLR to understand why this is occurring as I’m sure there isn’t a solution in place.
Now I’m not saying the heater issue is a red herron but maybe some of your issues are related to the SOTA updates that are in turn affecting your fuelling and maybe a re-learn of the fuel adaptive system is all that’s needed. Good for thought I think!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've noticed mine doing this recently. I thought it might be a temperature issue and the car is calling in the petrol engine to warm everything up.
What I have noted though is that mine keeps flicking itself back into hybrid mode. It didn't do this before. It would sit in EV mode but have EV greyed out. Is that what yours does?
I think LR have issues with the electronics. I've had mine in twice due to battery/software issues and both times they sent it back to me in a worse state than when I dropped it off!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought 12 months ago a p300e. At first the car operated absolutely fine. It was starting always in ev mode, it would drive for 50k on electric under the hybrid mode and ICE was firing up only if you demanded a lot of power.
After a while, the car started to behave erroneously, firing up the Ice on start, refusing go to electric mode.
I ended up using the car practically with the ICE only, exploding my costs on daily drives.
I visited the dealer and they tried to upload some software updates with no result at all.
since the past few weeks, the car started to behave again differently.After some driving in hybrid mode, it chooses to run on electric but soon fires up again the ICE. EV mode becomes available erratically and only for a short distance.
Does any one understands what’s happening with the LR software updates?
I think that they have messed it up totally….

·
Registered
7 Posts
Heater High Voltage? look at the thread here below most people have resolved either with sw upgrade or replacing the component? The latter seem long to get

·
Registered
18 Posts
The high voltage heater was finally replaced last week and now the car is operating as it should. Starting from cold if there is charge in the battery it will run on EV - BUT more importantly there is heat from the hvac system within seconds of starting it. Obviously there are certain circumstances where it will run on ICE even though there is charge in the battery (see previous posts) but overall it is now performing as it did when new. And its had all the Software up-dates - the most recent one installed over the weekend. So I can only conclude that in the case of my P300e the high voltage heater failure was the cause of all the issues. Hoefully it will last longer than the original.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The high voltage heater was finally replaced last week and now the car is operating as it should. Starting from cold if there is charge in the battery it will run on EV - BUT more importantly there is heat from the hvac system within seconds of starting it. Obviously there are certain circumstances where it will run on ICE even though there is charge in the battery (see previous posts) but overall it is now performing as it did when new. And its had all the Software up-dates - the most recent one installed over the weekend. So I can only conclude that in the case of my P300e the high voltage heater failure was the cause of all the issues. Hoefully it will last longer than the original.
Did you get any indication of whether it was an updated part? I have seen elsewhere (maybe it was here, I can’t remember) that the part is subject to a redesign and all affected cars may be recalled - although since this isn’t a safety issue I find that unlikely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

First of all, I would like to thank every previous participants of this thread. The above information was really helpful!

Two weeks ago, I bought a second hand Jaguar P300-e from 2021 at the Jaguar car dealership of Oxford. Beautiful car but it seems that there are many issues under the hood.

Description of issue 1:
If heating is turned on, even fully charged and with warm outside temperatures, the car always starts on ICE. Not allowing to switch to the EV mode ("EV temporarily unavailable" message displayed).
If heating is turned off, then it is possible to select the EV mode. After a restart, the car will be on EV. If I do not restart the car switches to EV after a few minutes.
Please note that the car had the latest software updates.

Description of issue 2:
When running on ICE only (EV disabled), the engine is doing an awful noise at low speed (especially below 30 mph).

I dropped the car this morning (5th of April) at the Jaguar car dealership of Sidcup. They confirmed that:

Issue 1:
As expected after reading the previous posts, the High Voltage Coolant Heater (HVCH) needs to be replaced. They don't know how long it might take to receive the piece. They ordered it and should receive it within one week to three months...

Issue 2:
They found that the drive shaft needs to be replaced. They will receive it overnight and should replace it this week.

Fortunately, both pieces are part of the warranty!
However, I am wondering how serious the famous Jaguar Approved "165 multi-point inspection" was. The following points should have detected the above issues:
  1. Hot & cold engine start
  2. Engine noises
  3. Hybrid Technology

EDIT:
Drive shaft was replaced, no more noises.
The High Voltage Coolant Heater (HVCH) will be replaced end of this month. If this is correct, it means they will receive the new HVCH in less than 3 weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, I dropped my 2 month old Disco Sport P300e into my local dealership yesterday for my issues / observations with EV and charging functionality (plus issues with the media system that has now refused to play from any source twice, but no comment about that...). I collected the car tonight having been told, "HV Heater needs replacing and it's on back order so don't know when it will be available". I asked are we talking weeks or months, to be told, "probably months....". My issues aren't as bad as others here on this thread as it doesn't appear to be linked to the cabin HVAC functionality. Anyway, here's my description that I shared with the dealer;

1) EV Plug-in Charging
On 2 separate occasions, the car has refused to accept charge from my home charger, despite the battery being well below 100%. As an example, this happened on 20 March 2022 when the battery was at 77%.
I had to drive the vehicle, then return home before it would accept charge again.

2) EV Mode / Idle Stop

After the upgrade to OS 3.2.0 on 29 March 2022, I quickly noticed that;
The car would start in Hybrid or EV mode but if it required the engine to support the accelerator input, it would never use EV mode or idle stop for the rest of the journey.
EV mode selection did nothing to force the car into EV mode.
The only way to enable EV power was to turn the car off and re-start.
Today though (04 April 2022), on a return journey from Hitchin to Hatfield, the EV functionality had returned.
From the “journeys” tab on the Land Rover app, I have driven 45 separate journeys totalling 200 miles before the functionality returned.
Is this really how the car should be? I can understand a small amount of time to maybe ‘re-learn’ a driving style, but 5 days / 200 miles / 45 journeys seems ridiculous! Especially as the car will not even respond to being ‘forced’ into EV mode nor even activate ‘idle stop’ when the engine is running but the vehicle speed is zero.
Update: When I upgraded to OS 3.2.0a on 25 April, the car’s EV mode was available pretty much straight away i.e. did not require days / hundreds of miles to function again. However, I would say that it still takes too long to engage EV mode when witching from “Hybrid” to “EV” mode.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Today though (04 April 2022), on a return journey from Hitchin to Hatfield, the EV functionality had returned.
From the “journeys” tab on the Land Rover app, I have driven 45 separate journeys totalling 200 miles before the functionality returned.
Is this really how the car should be?
That sounds a bit on the high side, but if you’re only doing short journeys then it doesn’t surprise me. The latest release notes 3.2.0a include the additional info about PHEVs needing to relearn the adaptive fuelling following an update.

If you’re not seeing any issues with ICE always cutting in when the climate control is trying to heat the cabin then you likely don’t have a broken HV heater - maybe they are starting to replace them on any car with similar symptoms now since there have been so many failures.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Are there any updates of folks with 22 reg cars? Are you seeing this fault?
Unless there is some radical redesign of the HV heater, then problem will continue, simply replacing unit with another of the same spec is not the answer to this.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Are there any updates of folks with 22 reg cars? Are you seeing this fault?
Unless there is some radical redesign of the HV heater, then problem will continue, simply replacing unit with another of the same spec is not the answer to this.
It could be a huge coincidence, but most of the failures seemed like they started to happen (or at least reported here and elsewhere) after the 3.0.0 update which points to a programming error rather than hardware. And maybe this was addressed in a later update. Mine is a Dec 2021 build and I haven’t (yet) had any failure. I do think the heater runs far too hot though, I normally have car thermostats set to 19 or 20C but in the DS it’s 18 (and my wife who is always cold is also at the same).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

First of all, I would like to thank every previous participants of this thread. The above information was really helpful!

Two weeks ago, I bought a second hand Jaguar P300-e from 2021 at the Jaguar car dealership of Oxford. Beautiful car but it seems that there are many issues under the hood.

Description of issue 1:
If heating is turned on, even fully charged and with warm outside temperatures, the car always starts on ICE. Not allowing to switch to the EV mode ("EV temporarily unavailable" message displayed).
If heating is turned off, then it is possible to select the EV mode. After a restart, the car will be on EV. If I do not restart the car switches to EV after a few minutes.
Please note that the car had the latest software updates.

Description of issue 2:
When running on ICE only (EV disabled), the engine is doing an awful noise at low speed (especially below 30 mph).

I dropped the car this morning (5th of April) at the Jaguar car dealership of Sidcup. They confirmed that:

Issue 1:
As expected after reading the previous posts, the High Voltage Coolant Heater (HVCH) needs to be replaced. They don't know how long it might take to receive the piece. They ordered it and should receive it within one week to three months...

Issue 2:
They found that the drive shaft needs to be replaced. They will receive it overnight and should replace it this week.

Fortunately, both pieces are part of the warranty!
However, I am wondering how serious the famous Jaguar Approved "165 multi-point inspection" was. The following points should have detected the above issues:
  1. Hot & cold engine start
  2. Engine noises
  3. Hybrid Technology

EDIT:
Drive shaft was replaced, no more noises.
The High Voltage Coolant Heater (HVCH) will be replaced end of this month. If this is correct, it means they will receive the new HVCH in less than 3 weeks.
I continue my story. :rolleyes:
When I dropped my car end of April to replace the High Voltage Coolant Heater (HVCH), they kept it two days before calling me to say that the piece they have is not compatible with my car... They re-ordered it. I asked if it will be the same one than currently installed in my car or an upgraded version. They replied that this will be an upgraded version as the original one had a design flaw. This may explain why the issue is particularly present in the cars built in 2021.

Now I am waiting for this new HVCH. They said between 3 weeks to 4 months...

·
Registered
1,5 P300e Signature SE+ - 2021
4 Posts
It could be a huge coincidence, but most of the failures seemed like they started to happen (or at least reported here and elsewhere) after the 3.0.0 update
Updated to 3.0.0 today, and even though I just took a drive in hybrid mode, it ran solely on gasoline. Will try tomorrow a pure EV drive and see how it behaves. Had no problems before updating this morning.

·
Registered
896 Posts
May I ask if any P-300e owners ever tow? Does car go straight to ice? Is it a reasonable tow car?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I still do all the towing I used to do with my 2.0 petrol. No sacrifice in performance.
It doesn’t go straight to ICE. Which I noticed when overtaking a lorry (80 to 100 kph) with EV only. It wasn’t too quick!
I know I should have pressed the pedal harder…

·
Registered
329 Posts
May I ask if any P-300e owners ever tow? Does car go straight to ice? Is it a reasonable tow car?
I don’t tow with mine but as a general note, whether the car fires up the ICE in normal driving depends how hard you press the go pedal, and so obviously depends how quickly you want to get to your desired speed. There’s a blue bar on the drivers display which is directly related to how much acceleration you demand. You should be aware that the P300e ’only’ has a towing capacity of 1500kg but it pulls very well in normal driving especially when both engines are working together.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a P300e from December 2020. It has had troubles driving in EV mode (very often “temporarely not available”). I learned from your forum that a malfunction of the high voltage coulant heater may be the cause of the problem. As others have mentioned, when the ventilator is set at zero (no heat, no cooling, no ventilation) the EV mode works fine ! The dealer recently has replaced my hv coolant heater, and, for all to know, the “EV mode temporarely not available” issue has been completely solved ! Finally my P300e drives to full satisfaction. In Hybrid mode, at moderate speed (no quick off start, driving speed below 130km per hour) it starts off in electric mode, and switches to the petrol engine only when the battery is near to empty, as it should be. The EV mode is also available at all times. I can drive 40-45km on a full battery.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts