Discovery Sport Forum banner
521 - 540 of 544 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've only done mine once (about to do again) and added it a litre at a time as I was worried about overfilling. Before I did the last litre I checked what the car was telling me and it said it still needed 1.8 litres but then it nearly spilled over so I was really worried that I'd overfilled it but all was well, I must just have been pouring a bit fast!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine needed the first fill. Took it to the Dealer as have the service plan on mine.

What surprised me was it took them 35 minutes to do, and I was offered 5 drinks in the process. All I really wanted was a quick stop and fill and be on my way.

Anyone else found that dealers manage to take a 5 minute job and stretch it out considerably. Not a surprise they charge a fortune for everything.

·
Registered
608 Posts
redmug said:
Mine needed the first fill. Took it to the Dealer as have the service plan on mine.

What surprised me was it took them 35 minutes to do, and I was offered 5 drinks in the process. All I really wanted was a quick stop and fill and be on my way.

Anyone else found that dealers manage to take a 5 minute job and stretch it out considerably. Not a surprise they charge a fortune for everything.
Yep they do and add to that the time driving to and from the garage, in my case about 40 minutes each way, its just a no brainer, do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I suspect they have to plug something in to the car to indicate the level and stop them overfilling, which on some cars leads to problems. The advice on here is clear - never fill to the top (and some tips above on how to make sure you get it right).

·
Registered
538 Posts
Past master said:
I suspect they have to plug something in to the car to indicate the level and stop them overfilling, which on some cars leads to problems. The advice on here is clear - never fill to the top (and some tips above on how to make sure you get it right).
No they don't plug anything in they just fill it up with a miserly amount of adblue. I overfilled mine once and it took days and hundreds of miles for the ultrasonic gauge to start working again. Almost got to the point of taking to the dealer but just got away with it. Mind you I had stuck in about 16 litres! :lol:

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Past master said:
I think later cars will say how much is required to top up, and the latest diagnostic system at the dealers does too for all cars.

G

·
Collected my new DS on Friday - after driving home i thought i'd check the next service info (at the time with 40 miles on the odometer)..

Next service 19850 (yeah, right !!)

DEF to empty 5468 - no refill required

This morning, now with 106 miles on the odometer, its showing DEF 5095miles to empty.

I can apreciate the car is running in, and it will take some time for things to find a stable position for my typical. usage, but it does appear the DEF level was not full when the car was PDI'd etc.

I won't be going back to the dealer, as it'll cost more in diesel than the DEF itself (which i have on hand), but is there any way to know what the actual amount of DEF there is currently in the tank ?

Assuming 1l/1000miles consumption it might suggest that i need ca 7-8 litres to fill the DEF tank - do you think it's worth adding a couple of litres, check the reading and then add some more (to a total of 5 litres to be safe ?

Or just use the car until it tells me to top up (and hopefully how much to add ?)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
DiscoSportDave said:
Collected my new DS on Friday - after driving home i thought i'd check the next service info (at the time with 40 miles on the odometer)..

This morning, now with 106 miles on the odometer, its showing DEF 5095miles to empty.

I can apreciate the car is running in, and it will take some time for things to find a stable position for my typical. usage, but it does appear the DEF level was not full when the car was PDI'd etc.

I won't be going back to the dealer, as it'll cost more in diesel than the DEF itself (which i have on hand), but is there any way to know what the actual amount of DEF there is currently in the tank ?

Assuming 1l/1000miles consumption it might suggest that i need ca 7-8 litres to fill the DEF tank - do you think it's worth adding a couple of litres, check the reading and then add some more (to a total of 5 litres to be safe ?

Or just use the car until it tells me to top up (and hopefully how much to add ?)
I thought later cars told you (in the instrument menu) how much to add - maybe only when it needs topping up?

G

·
Dashnine said:
DiscoSportDave said:

I thought later cars told you (in the instrument menu) how much to add - maybe only when it needs topping up?
Quite possibly - this is the latest online manual entry, so perhaps i did have ca 10-12 litres to start with !

HOW OFTEN SHOULD I REFILL MY DEF/ AdBlue®?
The consumption of DEF can vary greatly. An average consumption rate can be 500 miles (800 km) / 1 Litre, but this consumption rate can be more than doubled, depending on the driving style, road and weather conditions.

I'll just let it run down for a few weeks/months and see how it pans out - its only been driven a couple of decent length journeys - once bringing it home (29 miles) and the commute of 20 miles this morning

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I wouldn't assume it was full to begin with, it's like getting a full tank of fuel without asking!

G

·
Dashnine said:
I wouldn't assume it was full to begin with, it's like getting a full tank of fuel without asking!
I hear what you are saying (and i'm the least trusting person of dealerships !), but the last thing i want to do is start pouring in fresh Adblue only to find i max it out, overfill / spill.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yes you can over fill the AdBlue, and actually later cars have quite substantially increased consumption as well.

So personally I would leave it alone until you get the low DEF message and then you should be fine to dump a 10L bottle in.

Then you'll know if the tank was full or not as either your range figure will be much higher or you will simply be back to where you started,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I recently had my engine light come on, it usually comes on but quickly goes out, after a week of it staying on I decided to call Land Rover assist, The mechanic how came out was excellent whilst he connected his gadgets to my car checking all the fault history and clearing 3 fault messages he informed me that my car needed engine, transmission and gear selector software updates installing, he installed all the latest software and still the engine light was on, I happened to mention I topped up the adblue tank a couple of weeks ago. He electronically checked the level of adblue and told me I'd overfilled it, he then proceeded to drain the tank by 3ltrs and the engine light went out.
There is no warning for overfilling or any mention in the handbook re: overfilling, so the tank is 16ltrs but the max you should put in is 14.5 ltrs, as there is no way of knowing how much is in the tank he told me to wait ubtil the car tells me it's low then put no more than 10ltrs in, the car tells you it's low when it's down to 3.5 - 4ltrs so 10 Ltrs is about right.
Excellent mechanic.
Hope this info helps.
Tadjer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi I think I may have over filled as I have this message. Any idea how it was drained and the location of the adblue tank?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Tadjer46 said:
he told me to wait ubtil the car tells me it's low then put no more than 10ltrs in, the car tells you it's low when it's down to 3.5 - 4ltrs so 10 Ltrs is about right.
Excellent mechanic.
Hope this info helps.
Tadjer
Yes, this is the standard advice, often repeated on the forum. If you have a later car you can monitor the DEF (AdBlue) situation via "vehicle info" (which is only available with ignition on, engine off).

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Gooner247 said:
Hi I think I may have over filled as I have this message. Any idea how it was drained and the location of the adblue tank?

Many thanks.
It's at the rear of the car, alongside the fuel tank. There's a plug in the bottom for draining the fluid out, there's a post on here with further details if you search.

·
Registered
919 Posts
A small point of note. When the DEF counter gets this low:

10 litres exactly of Adblu will register as 4850 miles to empty. This is for vehicles 17MY> that have had the PCM update that reduced the consumption range from 10k to circa 5k miles. Given that all these vehicles will have been to a dealers at least once by now, this should mean all of them have had this applied, so the above figures compute.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Gooner247 said:
Hi Guys

Just a quick note that the Dosing error was due to a clogged DEF injector. This caused the NOx sensor to go out of limits. Remove and clean the sensor with water. I'll try and attach photos.
Thanks for the pics. I knew this was a simple job, but wasn't sure exactly where to find the injector. LR Rescue man who did mine said it's sometimes so bad he has to use a phillips screwdriver to get the gunge out. He also said he'd seen this a lot less often on more recent cars.

521 - 540 of 544 Posts