Service interval

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Sarjane22

Service interval

Post by Sarjane22 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:57 am

Hello,

Apologies if this has been covered already but thought it may be useful. My car (delivered August last year) has 9000 miles on it and started flashing that service was due and also that 2nd adblue was required (it was filled about 3000 miles ago!). Called Dealer saying that I thought service interval was much longer but he explained it is a known fault for cars driving start-stop journeys that oil is needing an early top up/ change and that LR are covering it free of charge under warranty at present (but he said this may stop soon). Thought this may be helpful for anyone having the same issue.

Car now booked in for Tuesday to do oil service and 2nd adblue top up. DAB radio has also stopped working which they will look at (although he didnt sound very convincing that he knew how to resolve this!!).

Other than this - love my car! :D

Chippy

Re: Service interval

Post by Chippy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:07 am

If you use the search function at the top left hand corner and type in "Service Interval" you'll be able to find previous discussions on this topic.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Rejected B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.
Arrived: MB GLC 250d.

Sarjane22

Post by Sarjane22 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:23 am

Cheers. I did a quick look earlier but threads seemed to suggest a fault with service interval programming and that service wasn't required. Dealer said differently and that known fault that oil service needed doing earlier. Thought may be useful for people to know that LR are covering this under warranty at present.

Sarjane22

Post by Sarjane22 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:26 am

Arghh sorry just looked again and people have mentioned oil change under warranty! Too much haste in my excitement that the Dealer was covering off something free of charge!!

Past master

Post by Past master » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:33 pm

No Sarjane22 your post does add something to the conversation. Up till now this seems to have been explained as a glitch in the software and the oil change has for some unexplained reason been part of the fix. I had not heard before that LR are admitting there's a problem. If that's the case then the 21000 mile service interval is just fairy dust, and most of us are going to need an intermediate oil change as well as the frequent Adblue topups. Will watch this one with interest. And the DAB radio problem is well known - again you'll find lots on here about it. While my car was in having the loss of DAB fixed they loaned me a newer model with - yes - no DAB.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:14 pm

I think they have underestimated the degradation of the oil perhaps? Looks like the cars are requesting this change through its own oil checks.

Mine is looking like it will be due service at around 11000 mile mark, this is by checking the mileage to next service every 500 miles and extrapolating . ( gosh that's a big word for this time of night)
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:46 am

I find it hard to believe that these long (21000 mile!) service intervals do the engine any good at all.

I used to change the oil and filter on my Discovery 3 every 5000 miles, doing about 15k miles a year. Even modern synthetic oils break down over time and the toxic gases they produce are what cause most damage to the engine (as I understand it). Having the same oil sat in the sump for up to two years at a time can't be doing it any good at all.

I was going to ask about DIY intermediate oil changes on here but I suspect it will confuse the computers that monitor the condition of the oil. Until my BT IIDTool supports the Discovery Sport, I suspect resetting the computers is a dealer only job.

Steve
17MY HSE Auto 180 in Carpathian Grey with Ebony Leather, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails, and Row 2 USB.
Stereophonic B Pillar Ticking (No Cost Option) and a horrendous auto box.
DISCO3.CO.UK Member - Trying a DS for a while - Meh
MINI Cooper D Convertible

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:28 pm

I get interim oil changes on mine every six months/13,000kms, versus the 12 months/26,000kms published service interval for the 2.2 engine. I thought about doing them myself, but when I looked at the parts cost and hassle I decided to get the dealer to do it instead, and they gave me a good price.

The handbook actually mentions the need for more regular oil changes if used under "arduous" conditions such as high (or low) temperatures or a lot of off-roading or towing. But like you I just thought the published service intervals were too long, and my suspicion (voiced on here before) is that it's just to make initial purchase attractive, for fleet and lease customers particularly, and does no good for the long term reliability and service life of the engine.

My understanding is that the dealer doesn't reset the service interval at an interim service, so that the car still calls for the normal service at the normal interval. But there is a procedure for re-setting the service interval described in the workshop manual if you really wanted to do that. It goes like this - open both bonnet and driver's door, switch on ignition without starting engine, press down on brake and accelerator pedal for two minutes, and you'll get a warning in the message centre that the service interval was reset.
SE TD4, MY 2016.5, 110kw/150bhp 2.2 PSA Engine, Fuji White/Ebony, Oz towbar, xenon pack. Delivered 25th June 2016, Perth Western Australia.

Past master

Post by Past master » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:31 pm

Interesting quote from the TOPIx page on dpf regeneration.
Depending on driving style, some vehicles may require an oil service before the designated interval. If a service message is displayed, the vehicle will be required have a full service and the service interval counter will be reset.
So we should be getting a full service, free if we have the service plan, and the counter reset. :?: :?: :?:
file:///C:/Users/David/Downloads/Exhaust%20System%20DPF%20Operation.pdf (last page)
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

dino16

Post by dino16 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:58 pm

I had this done on mine a few weeks ago. Shade over 10k miles/8 months, and asking for a service. Dealer said it was a known issue and that they were required to do an oil-change under warranty and that they would re-set the service interval so the next service would not be due until the 2-year/21k mile interval, as specified. I also got a free car-valet out it, but that is normal with my dealer.
> 06-2016 LR DS 5 seat, Scotia Grey and a few bits 'n bobs.
> 06-2012 RR Evoque Pure, White, Pano roof

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”