Discovery Sport Forum banner

N128 January 2018

43K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  VeryDiscoSport 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
G
#6 ·
Also shared on RRS forum where one guy was told the oil on his RRS (3.0TDV6) was fine despite service light coming on after 4500 miles so he had Millers analyse it and it came back with a dilution factor of 8.5% :eek:

This is after his car only being serviced previously at 16,000 miles and 32,000 miles. Has set alarm bells ringing as to what damage might have occurred during the first 32,000 miles or whether dealer changed oil at all at 32,000 mile service. Sounds as though he had to be quite firm with the dealership to get them to change the oil after the Millers analysis since they were insistent that the service request was a "just a software problem"

#9 ·
It sounds like a whine (or even a turbo whistle) that follows the engine revs from above 1500rpm. Can be heard inside the vehicle when driving with the radio off (radio at conversational level about matches the whine volume). At some point in the 2000s the engine noise drowns out the whine. The whine happens every time the engine revs above 1500rpm (not a sometimes noise in my experience).

I lifted the bonnet and held the engine revving above 1500 - sounded like the noise was coming from the RHS of vehicle towards the firewall (near the turbo).

#10 ·
Balance shaft was replaced at 11000 miles, unfortunately it has failed again at 12000 miles, car is currently with the dealer. This second failure resulted it a much louder wine than the first failure clearly audible over the radio at normal volume. To date both the dealer and Land Rover have been helpful, although they do stress they have only seen only 'one or two failures and never two'. FYI the car is rarely used for trips under 40 miles, however it uses over 2 litres of AdBlue every 1000 miles.

#11 ·
Motorvat said:
Balance shaft was replaced at 11000 miles, unfortunately it has failed again at 12000 miles, car is currently with the dealer. This second failure resulted it a much louder wine than the first failure clearly audible over the radio at normal volume. To date both the dealer and Land Rover have been helpful, although they do stress they have only seen only 'one or two failures and never two'. FYI the car is rarely used for trips under 40 miles, however it uses over 2 litres of AdBlue every 1000 miles.
That's not good , was it replaced by dealer or by LR techs ?
Seems they are moving away from replacing engines to balance shafts nowadays .

There's more than one or two on here and the Evoque forum .....did they say why it failed.?

#12 ·
Looking at the LR doc they may know the issue as they have limited the vin number of those affected 516414 to 731137. That would perhaps suggest it's fixed going forwards ?

#14 ·
Wow that's surprising if they get it wrong , or it doesn't say much for the replacement balance shafts they are fitting.
I guess you'll get a new engine now ?

Welcome to the forum too , shame it's not under better circumstances though :-(

#16 ·
Good video phil,

I wonder how this is going to play out over time.

A few on here, a few on Evoques I dread to think of the cost out of warranty , unless of course good will gestures from JLR will happen as it's a known issue.

Just hope it doesn't end up like the D4,crankshaft issue where it's not covered by warranty.

#19 ·
Motorvat said:
Land Rover have now completed their test (not confirmed exactly what has happened) However they have now agreed to replace the engine.
I think at least one of the shafts was starting to go on mine when I rejected and my brother in law has now got his eye on a Discovery 2.0 L - so can someone from a dealership please answer the following. Why do they sometimes change the whole engine but at other times its just the shafts? Going by the job parts list, the roller bearings/assemblies come as part of 2 off Balancer Shaft LR074075.

#24 ·
NoDiscoSport said:
Oz video of the noise and the damaged shafts causing it.

Incorrect tolerance in manufacture
Poor oil supply

Guessing when they replace dealers are replacing the outer race too? Who knows

Oil system blockage , or even incorrectly assembled oil pumps , or poor quality oil.

Remember roller bearings should not have any movement they are designed for fixed position shafts .

Perhaps a fixed ball would have lasted longer.

#25 ·
"Incorrect tolerance in manufacture

Oil system blockage , or even incorrectly assembled oil pumps , or poor quality oil.

Perhaps a fixed ball would have lasted longer."

This costs money so the problems could be attributed to cost savings and why should JLR care how the customer suffers.

#26 ·
Chippy said:
"Incorrect tolerance in manufacture

Perhaps a fixed ball would have lasted longer."

This costs money so the problems could be attributed to cost savings and why should JLR care how the customer suffers.
The thing that bugs me after viewing that video a few times , and then looking at the spares list I can only assume the new balance shaft comes with the bearing already fitted to it.
So they are not pressing out and refitting the outer bearing shell.
So any balance shaft replacement with scored bearing rollers is bound to fail as the outer shell will already be scored.

They should all be engine replacements.

Yes it's money , stuff the customer .

However if the do change the shaft and it fails again , under consumer rights law in the UK you can get a replacement vehicle as they have had one attempt at repair and it failed.
Couple that with the fact they have issued a document listing all vehicles affected , it's a known issue , so even after 6 months you can demand a replacement vehicle or refund.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.