Engine failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Barnsh

Re: Engine failure

Post by Barnsh » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:35 pm

PhilMabbots17 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:00 pm
If they found metal in the fuel filter it can only have come in the first instance from the tank, the fuel lines or the LP fuel pump; it can't have anything to do with the internals of the engine because all the fuel that makes it past the injectors ends up going down the exhaust. If the chain had stretched to the point of interference then that was not caused by swarf in the fuel filter. More likely that the chain finally let go due to poor lubrication over a long period of time. First thing on the agenda must be to seize back the old engine in order to get it inspected pronto by DEKRA. Once the true state of the engine has been impartially assessed, you can decide how to proceed. Tread very carefully and good luck.
Not sure where on the ingenium the excess fuel is circulated back , any ideas.
Either debri was put in the tank , or recirculated back, can’t get in the tank to be sucked through the filter otherwise. Any one got the fuel workshop drawing?

Puzzling that’s for sure
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Barnsh wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:35 pm
PhilMabbots17 wrote:
If they found metal in the fuel filter it can only have come in the first instance from the tank, the fuel lines or the LP fuel pump; it can't have anything to do with the internals of the engine because all the fuel that makes it past the injectors ends up going down the exhaust. If the chain had stretched to the point of interference then that was not caused by swarf in the fuel filter. More likely that the chain finally let go due to poor lubrication over a long period of time. First thing on the agenda must be to seize back the old engine in order to get it inspected pronto by DEKRA. Once the true state of the engine has been impartially assessed, you can decide how to proceed. Tread very carefully and good luck.
Not sure where on the ingenium the excess fuel is circulated back , any ideas.
Either debri was put in the tank , or recirculated back, can’t get in the tank to be sucked through the filter otherwise. Any one got the fuel workshop drawing?
Is the HPP (high pressure pump) before or after the filter ?
Puzzling that’s for sure
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

PhilMabbots17

Fuel System AJ200 Diesel

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:07 pm

From the tank-mounted LP fuel pump (12) the long delivery line goes first to the Fuel cooler (10) then the Fuel filter assembly (7), next the High Pressure (HP) fuel pump - engine mounted (6) then the Fuel rail (1) and injectors (3).

Excess pressurised fuel from the Fuel rail (1) goes back to the Fuel cooler (10) via the Fuel rail return line (5). Fuel from the Injector leak-off return line (2) goes back to the tank. Fuel coming back to the Fuel cooler is therefore clean and hasn't been near the inside of the engine. Apart from (12), the components mentioned are all mounted on the engine.

Vehicles for poor fuel quality areas have an Auxiliary Fuel Pump and Auxiliary fuel filter between the Fuel filter assembly and the HP pump but this would presumably not be fitted to EU market vehicles.

Fuel System.PNG

2017 (66) Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic Sport
REJECTED: 17MY DS HSE 2.0L 148HP Indus Silver Park Assist Electric Tow Bar

adep

Post by adep » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:58 pm

PhilMabbots17 wrote:
What's DEKRA?
Pheonix Orange DS-HSE
Sumatra Black Freelander 2 HSE
Tambora Flame Freelander2 SE (Stolen)
Midnight Blue Discovery 2
Defender TD5

adep

Post by adep » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:33 pm

All the fuel reciepts are in the car so they can see what has been used, there are no gaps in the reciepts and they go back a couple of months, the initial breakdown occurred on the 12th November it has taken this long to get to the stage where they are saying it has been missfeuled that I have no hope of proving it was contaminated fuel at the garage, I have no way of proving that it has not been miss feuled , I know that it hasn't been missfeuled accidentally by myself as the fuel guard has never been activated.
In a bid for damage limitation, I am now concentrating on the fact that JLR have replaced the engine and incurred those costs when they should have figured out that it was a fuel problem at the start when there first report was metal in the filter, At least then I would have known therre was no chance of them standing any costs and I would have got a recon engine fitted at £2500
Pheonix Orange DS-HSE
Sumatra Black Freelander 2 HSE
Tambora Flame Freelander2 SE (Stolen)
Midnight Blue Discovery 2
Defender TD5

PhilMabbots17

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:01 am

adep wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:58 pm
What's DEKRA?
DEKRA Expert UK