Oil dilution - advice please

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
snoopyhaynes

Oil dilution - advice please

Post by snoopyhaynes » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:15 pm

I’d like a bit of advice on my DS oil issue please.

Car is a 2016 16 plate 2.0L now with 29k mikes.

First full service was at 16k
Then intermediadiate oil change at 24k
Second oil change at 28k

All above done foc.

Dealer has admitted oil dilution is the problem

Car is now nearing end of warranty period but my pcp lease has another year to run until March 2020.

I was told today that future oil changes would not be free despite this being an ongoing issue. I have a service plan for 50k miles.

Anybody have any advice on my options? Considered an extended warranty but that doesn’t cover design faults or pre existing faults.
Discovery Sport SE Tech Coris Grey, Aeroviper wheels, ebony leather, roof rails

PhilMabbots17

Re: Oil dilution - advice please

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:53 pm

snoopyhaynes wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:15 pm
I’d like a bit of advice on my DS oil issue please.

Car is a 2016 16 plate 2.0L now with 29k mikes.

First full service was at 16k
Then intermediadiate oil change at 24k
Second oil change at 28k

All above done foc.

Dealer has admitted oil dilution is the problem

Car is now nearing end of warranty period but my pcp lease has another year to run until March 2020.

I was told today that future oil changes would not be free despite this being an ongoing issue. I have a service plan for 50k miles.

Anybody have any advice on my options? Considered an extended warranty but that doesn’t cover design faults or pre existing faults.
The "extended service plan" that you took out was basically a fluffed-up pre-purchase agreement for 2 regular services, nominally one at 21K/2 years ("A" service) and one at 42K/4 years ("B" service) plus free DEF top-ups for 5 years. JLRP00100 provides that a vehicle with a service plan which presents with high oil dilution having completed 15,750 or more miles should receive the "A" service, which is then ticked off against the plan. It sounds, therefore, as though this happened and that you've still got the "B" service in the bank, the other services presumably having been carried out under "goodwill" as part of the faulty exhaust campaign documented in the SCN.

JLRP00100 implied that customers with a service plan would continue to receive the goodwill oil changes out to 50,000 miles, although it has to be said that the wording was ambiguous. Forum member castiel109 was told by CRC on June 5th 2018 : "As a Service Plan has been taken out on your vehicle, any oil and filter changes that are required on your vehicle prior to a service will be covered free of charge as a goodwill gesture, providing your vehicle is within its 3 year manufacturer’s warranty. Outside of the manufacturers warranty this would need to be assessed on a case by case basis. "

Dealers appear to have different policies with regards to the free oil changes and, because we are entering new ground as the first Ingenium diesels start to reach the end of the 3-year warranty period, to say any more at this stage would be speculation. Good luck.
2017 (66) Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic Sport
REJECTED: 17MY DS HSE 2.0L 148HP Indus Silver Park Assist Electric Tow Bar

snoopyhaynes

Post by snoopyhaynes » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks for the message. I’m not that concerned over the extra oil changes, its counter intuitive for me to only change the oil in a car every 20k anyway and I’ve never had a car that made it full term on services, always 75%ish due to me doing a lot of short journeys.

Mostly concerned over associated engine wear from dilution when out of warranty and whether the finance company will raise the issue when the car goes back in a years time.

Does this issue effect newer DS models, if not then that would indicate that JLR have a fix?

PhilMabbots17

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 am

snoopyhaynes wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 am
Thanks for the message. I’m not that concerned over the extra oil changes, its counter intuitive for me to only change the oil in a car every 20k anyway and I’ve never had a car that made it full term on services, always 75%ish due to me doing a lot of short journeys.

Mostly concerned over associated engine wear from dilution when out of warranty and whether the finance company will raise the issue when the car goes back in a years time.

Does this issue effect newer DS models, if not then that would indicate that JLR have a fix?
Oil analysis has raised concerns about progressive damage to engine components such as bearings, ring packs and cylinder liners but it's too early to draw firm conclusions. Dealers (and therefore the finance companies) remain oblivious to any potential threat coming from this direction. However, no-one who has commented on this forum believes that the diesel DS is a long-term keeper, there are just too many risks to the wallet. It is the automotive lady of the night - just enjoy the experience that you have paid for, don't fall in love, don't think about marriage, don't get hurt and take precautions.

After 3 years of stalling by JLR it's now clear that nothing can be done to fix the issue due to the amount of re-engineering required. Thus we continue to have regular reports of 8 month-old 2018 cars hitting the service message at 6,000 to 8,000 miles (scan the Service interval thread) and this will continue at least until the new model appears next year. Watch these pages and around the middle of next year there will be an influx of new Landmark owners popping up who had no idea about this problem when they bought their (otherwise lovely) tax-efficient diesels. They will all be asking the same question: Why is my new car asking for a service before 10,000 miles?

The solution, as mentioned elsewhere, is to buy a petrol and swallow the higher fuel bills. Or vote with your feet, as many others have done.
2017 (66) Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic Sport
REJECTED: 17MY DS HSE 2.0L 148HP Indus Silver Park Assist Electric Tow Bar

snoopyhaynes

Post by snoopyhaynes » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:21 pm

I might look at rejecting the vehicle under misrepresentation or poor quality if JLR refuse to cover oil change costs after March - I still have the original 2016 brochure which states the service intervals.

Next step is JLR customer services then legal advice if no joy.

CRC@LandRover

Post by CRC@LandRover » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:17 pm

snoopyhaynes wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:21 pm
I might look at rejecting the vehicle under misrepresentation or poor quality if JLR refuse to cover oil change costs after March - I still have the original 2016 brochure which states the service intervals.

Next step is JLR customer services then legal advice if no joy.
Good Afternoon Snoopyhaynes

I am sorry to learn of your comments.

If there is any way I can assist you please PM me with the following details:

Your Vehicle Identification Number
Your Personal contact details

Many Thanks

Dan - Land Rover UK

Return to “Faults & Technical”