"Charge Battery"

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Barnsh

Re: "Charge Battery"

Post by Barnsh » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:40 am

Dashnine wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:38 am
My Stop / Start wasn’t operating again after a few days commuting (20 mins each way) but 30 mins into an hour long journey at the weekend it sprung into life as the battery gained charge. Have got used to it doing this now!
Yep. Needs more driving 👍

Yes it becomes a bit of a repetitive statement from JLR.

Diesel DPF .......it’s your driving style
Oil service ......it’s your driving style
Stop start not working ......it’s your driving style
Flat battery......it’s your driving style

Etc etc
45-60 mins to clear a DPF
30-60 mins to get your battery recondition cycle achieved , then charged enough for stop start.

Where in the above two items does fuel efficiency come into it?

Driving aimlessly around to keep the car working properly :roll:
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

ccomley

Post by ccomley » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Yes - one gets tired hearing it. Our mini ate its clutch in 34k miles. Lots of reports on teh internet that this was happening to lots of people, but BMW just said "it's the way you drive it".

If JLR keep saying it's my driving style, I'll deduce that the bit of my driving style that mattered was the bit where I drove to the JLR dealer with my cheque book, and I won't do it again.
---
Loire Blue HSE - pretty much standard. Arrived June '15
(1996 Defender 90 and her SLK share the driveway)

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:21 pm

ccomley wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Yes - one gets tired hearing it. Our mini ate its clutch in 34k miles. Lots of reports on teh internet that this was happening to lots of people, but BMW just said "it's the way you drive it".

If JLR keep saying it's my driving style, I'll deduce that the bit of my driving style that mattered was the bit where I drove to the JLR dealer with my cheque book, and I won't do it again.
:lol: :lol:
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

XES Owner

Post by XES Owner » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:34 pm

I use one of these, it not only reports battery charge but also performance of the alternator:

https://whiterosetools.com/collections/ ... lcd-screen

Having had a complete failure of the alternator in my Jaguar (thirty minutes outside of warranty - but that's another story) leaving me stranded, I purchased this to monitor both battery and alternator in the hope I can avoid a repeat performance .
Awaiting delivery of DS Si4 290 in Narvic Black. Anticipated 31/07/2018 - Hmm, now end of Septembert for a MY19 version @ MY18 price.
Jaguar XE S in Ultimate Black with lots of toys
Number plate X3 *** for Jaguar XE and X4 *** for DS 4 X 4

ccomley

Post by ccomley » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:44 pm

So really it's a volt meter with "interpretation" ?
---

XES Owner

Post by XES Owner » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:32 am

ccomley, depends what you mean by "interpretation". If you care to interpret your question in another way I will attempt to elucidate further.
Awaiting delivery of DS Si4 290 in Narvic Black. Anticipated 31/07/2018 - Hmm, now end of Septembert for a MY19 version @ MY18 price.

ccomley

Post by ccomley » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:01 pm

I mean, instead of just showing you the voltage, it's telling you that any given voltage means "healthy battery" or "good alternator output" or whatever. But actually, all it's *measuring* is the voltage, yes?
---

XES Owner

Post by XES Owner » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:28 pm

You are correct. But the difference I liked was the plug on the end of the lead allowing me to connect to the accessory power socket in the arm rest next to the driver/passenger seat, instead of opening the bonnet and using the multimeter probes, to carry out a 10 second battery/alternator check.
I believe there are other battery testers on the market, around the same price, with a power socket plug but I rather liked the one mentioned.
To be honest I couldn't be bothered to put together a similar lead to use with my multimeter.

green genie

Post by green genie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:00 am

Surely we should not have to supplement the battery charging with a modern car. If so, blame may well be due to the Stop/Start system taking power out in excess of that being replaced before the next STOP. Lets remember that the S/S system was only "Invented " to improve emissions/ fuel usage under false Laboratory Conditions, ie to Cheat the system and get False Readings.
I never allow it to stay on and have had no electrical based gremlins, or battery related issues after 25000mls,
Built # March 2016, 180 HSE AINTREE GREEN / ALMOND.
7 Seats, no spare, removable tow bar factory fit. 19" wheels.
Panoramic roof.
Location Hampshire , England.
Bought @ Hunters , Southampton. :D

ccomley

Post by ccomley » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:24 am

My problem is not the stop/start system. As that almost never stops teh car for more than about fifteen seconds, thus annoying the pants off me, I almost always disable it. I put it back on when in stop-start traffic where it may actually be helpful.

My problem is probably not the dashcam. That's been in there a year, and anyway has a voltage cut-out so won't run the battery low.

It isn't short journeys - my general driving pattern has not changed in the 3.5 years and 61k miles I've had the car.

So - either the battery is dying, which at 3.5 years is frankly ridiculous for a modern AGM battery, or, the alternator is not charging it well enough. OR some other random part of the car system is NOT turning off when it should and leeching all my amps. :(

Yesterday I took three short trips and the warning came on at the END of the LAST trip, which is odd, I'd expect it to come up after the car has been sat overnight.
---

Return to “Faults & Technical”