Door stuck - not latch

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
b4rkie

Door stuck - not latch

Post by b4rkie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi all

I have an Oct15 HSE LUX and yesterday the passenger door has been stuck closed.

Pulled up outside the house and the passenger just couldn't open the door. I tried unlocking, locking several times to no avail.

Fuse is ok because window works.

Called LR Assist and they couldn't do anything. Looks like yet another visit to the garage.

I think the superlock is jammed.

Any one had this before? Is it a common prob?

Thanks.

Chippy

Re: Passenger door stuck

Post by Chippy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:43 pm

Hello,

I've certainly not heard of this on the forum before.

Try using the search function if you've not already done so and if that doesn't help then it's certainly a case of back to the dealer.

Good luck
Gone

jonet

Post by jonet » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:24 am

B4rkie,
We had this problem with our new DS a couple of months after collecting it. Rear passenger door wouldn't open, did cause our son to get very distressed in the car - tried repeatedly to open them, locking and unlocking etc and finally opened later on. Our issue with this was probably because of a water ingress issue onto the electrics in the boot/roof area. Yours is still under warranty so I hope you have success with your dealer, it could be a major problem if it happened when you needed to get someone out quickly, so make sure they give you a satisfactory solution.
2017 MY18 Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 HSE Black, Yulong White.

2007 Freelander 2 2.2 TD4 SE, Zermatt Silver.

2004 Discovery 2 2.5 TD5 Landmark, Giverny Green.

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:25 am

Door latch mechanisms are notoriously poor on all Land Rover vehicles. Could equally be electrical.

I replaced all 4 - and the tailgate latch - in my Discovery 3 in the first 6 years of ownership.

Steve
17MY HSE Auto 180 in Carpathian Grey with Ebony Leather, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails, and Row 2 USB.
Stereophonic B Pillar Ticking (No Cost Option) and a horrendous auto box.
DISCO3.CO.UK Contributor of 10 Years - Trying a DS for a while
MINI Cooper D Convertible

flycop2000

Post by flycop2000 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:33 pm

When I picked up my new Disco Sport from the dealer my front passenger done jammed shut with the salesman stuck inside, he had to climb over the seats to get out! This was to the amusement of other customers as we were parked right outside the customer waiting area.

Courtesy car given to get me home whilst a new door lock was ordered and fitted the next day.

b4rkie

Post by b4rkie » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks all. Appreciate your comments.

My biggest headache right now is that LR Assist have told me that a car is available at LR Swansea but they ain't ringing me back to confirm despite my leaving 3 messages this afternoon.

I'm driving down there tomorrow whatever!

Doesn't help that I'm 200 miles from home on holiday with the family.

I do love my DS but in the 7 months I've had it, I've had a new CAT, new DPF and now the door!
Thank God for the warranty!

B.

Lolo85

Post by Lolo85 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Not sure If it’s the exact issue, but my driver’s door was stuck also. I thought it was the lock initially but after a very hard pull it opened and it was in fact the door panel/card that was completely popped out and had jammed the door.

Not sure what caused this (maybe the extreme heat we have experienced recently) but it has warped and won’t clip back in so I have a new door card ordered under warranty with the dealer. Vehicle has approx 20,000km on it.

It was also causing a problem locking the door saying the door was opened even though it wasn’t.
15MY HSE 2.2

County

Post by County » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:21 am

Had the same issue, passenger door panel became loose and jammed door, new fixing clips fitted to the panel and has been ok for the last few days :oops:
:D B 1984 RR Vouge, Then BMW. Back to LR, H 1991 Disco 1, L 1993 Disco, N 1996 Disco, Y 2001 Disco, 53 Disco 2, 56 Disco 3
MY10 FL2 TD4 XS [Nav], MY13 FL2 TD4 GS Auto
MY15 DS SE Tech Auto Firenze Red 2.2 FL engine!

Woolmeister

OSR Door Won't Open - Not Latch

Post by Woolmeister » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Daughter couldn't open the OSR door earlier to get out of the car. Wouldn't open from inside nor the outside. Couldn't figure out what the issue was but it's certainly not the latch.

Upon closer inspection, it looks as though the entire door card has partially fallen off the door - whilst closed - thus preventing the door from moving. I can just about open it about 50mm or so but it's going to take a severe amount of force to pull it fully open, and will almost certainly break something in doing so.

The AA are on their way; I won't be held responsible for breaking anything on it. I refuse to drive this heap of junk again until it's properly fixed. It's dangerous as the door will not open in an emergency situation and would fail an MOT test if it ever reaches three years old in my ownership.

Not only is my Discovery Sport "not as described", and "not of satisfactory quality", it's also "a potential deathtrap" (to quote Lynn Foulds Wood).

The build quality of this car never ceases to amaze me.

Steve
17MY HSE Auto 180 in Carpathian Grey with Ebony Leather, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails, and Row 2 USB.

Woolmeister

Re: OSR Door Won't Open - Not Latch

Post by Woolmeister » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Looks as though it's been reported previously here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9159&p=94607&hilit ... pen#p94724

Steve

Return to “Faults & Technical”