Radio still plays when radio switched off

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Skills24

Radio still plays when radio switched off

Post by Skills24 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:01 pm

After some help / opinions on this issue I have encountered.

Picked up brand new Disco Sport about a month ago.

I found an issue where the radio still plays out of the driver side door speaker at an incredibly low volume when the radio is switched off. Very had to always hear as it is dependant on what is playing on the radio station at that moment in time. What I mean by this is if the radio is on, put the volume up so you can easily hear it, then turn it off and the volume will go down by 99% but still actually be playing from 1 speaker.

Sequence is this:
1. Get in the car and shut the doors.
2. Press brake and Start stop button for ignition.
3. Turn on radio - turn it up so you can hear song.
4. Turn off the ignition (but keep power on).
5. Turn off the radio (it says audio off on the screen)
6. You will hear the same music from the radio playing out the driver side door speaker at a very very low level.

I booked the car back in with Land Rover to fix the issue. It was very hard for the technician to hear the radio still playing as the garage is next to a main road, but after a short duration he did hear the defect.

I was told that this garage had had this issued in the past and it was fixed with a software update on a module.

This module software upgrade was performed and I drove away later that day.

Unfortunately I thought I head the issue a couple of days later but as I said, it is often hard to hear (high pitched music is easier to hear). Eventually a week or so later I caught the defect on video and reported it to the garage again.

I am now being told that Land Rover HQ recognise this is a software issue and another upgrade fix is being worked on.

Has anyone heard of this issue before? I have a suspicion that software isn't going to be the cause for this issue and it could be a channel / wiring issue.

Let me know your thoughts please!

Shakey

Re: Radio still plays when radio switched off

Post by Shakey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:56 pm

Mine does it too, but I try not to let it bother me. It is more noticeable at certain times.
[img]file:///var/folders/c4/v954c9xs6nd6zk0lmj__lm0c0000gn/T/IMG_0080%202.JPG[/img]

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi there,

I have this issue also. MY16 InControl Touch SD card system. I suspect under certain conditions the module controlling amp volume is not setting the output to 0 when you press the off button.
For me, the phenomena only happened on radio sources as bluetooth sources tend to be sent the pause instruction so the source does not continue playing.
I have it on the snag list for the vehicles final warranty once over before it expires in Nov.
Would be great to hear that it has been fixed by a software update, I can quote that when it goes in.
BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, flaps, privacy glass, memory pack, travall dog guard. Built Oct 2015.

Skills24

Post by Skills24 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:26 pm

@BobbyBox

You may well be right with the amp not setting the output to 0. It is a strange one as not only is the audio very very low but it also seems to 'crackle'.

I also agree with the sources you mentioned. I can only hear this on Radio (DAB) but I haven't tried it on normal FM Radio. Bluetooth or hard wired audio devices all seem to 'stop' when you turn off the audio power.

What is odd with this one is when I returned the car the first time to LR it was acknowledged as a 'known issue' with a 'known solution'. Which puzzles me why the original fix didn't work and we are back to the drawing board.

Does any one have any experience with how long LR tend to take to turn around software patches?

Thanks.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:29 pm

In answer to the question in your final paragraph it can be a very slow process. Software is definitely not LR’s strongest point.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Rejected B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.
Arrived: MB GLC 250d.

Return to “Faults & Technical”