Is the F-Pace any good off-road?

The place to discuss everything else..
Andy131

Is the F-Pace any good off-road?

Post by Andy131 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:47 pm

Serious question.
A work college needs a vehicle mainly for road use, but will also need to travel down seriously rutted farm tracks - his current XF isn't anywhere near up to the job, and a full size Disco is a none starter.

In the past i would have suggested a Freelander2, but they don't make them anymore, and well the DS isn't finished yet - I have just read the 240+ pages on the shocking service / oil dilution problem. That and the "poor quality exhaust fluid" that is currently plagueing mine.

So is the F-Pace any good away from the tarmac?

He did suggest the X3, but couldn't stop me from laughing, I did suggest XC60 or XC90, and he went to have a look, but it's come down to the DS and the F-Pace, roughly the same on a PCP.

I could find the F-Pace forum and ask the same question, but the owners are probably a little biased
2017 DS HSE auto.
2014 Ewok for 6 months, really really rubbish.
2008 FL2 for 185k miles, should have kept her.
2006 FL1 for 110k miles, brilliant car.
2000 FL1 for 100k miles, fell apart but started the LR bug

Barnsh

Re: Is the F-Pace any good off-road?

Post by Barnsh » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:54 am

FPace owners biased ?? :lol:

Yes they are fine for muddy rutted farm roads , you just need to get some decent tyres on it ( comes with summer slicks , not all weathers or Mud and Snow).
I’ve posted a couple of threads in the off topic section of some adventures off road with owners .

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9062

It has slightly less ground clearance than a DS , but farm tracks are no problem at all.

It’s also a far better handling car on the road than the DS.

My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

timhum

Post by timhum » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:01 am

Perhaps a petrol DS would be the solution.
Tim
Tim
HSE auto, replaced with a RRS HSE 3.0d

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:15 pm

How’s the F-Pace boot space compared to DS?

Have decided 7 seats not required for next car given amount of moaning from growing kids on this holiday, but still need the 4X4 and boot space for ‘stuff’!
HSE Black MY16 (180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging. Golf GT Convertible and Mini First complete the family.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:58 pm

I had a transk9 dog box which fits the DS with a couple of centimetres spare each side and at the top.My dog box didn’t fit , but not by much !
The DS is only a couple of inches lower in roof height because of the sloping roof at the boot end, but it’s same width and depth though.

It doesn’t have moving seats in the rear though , ie you can’t slide them forwards and backwards as in the DS . You can get reclining rear seats though as an option some folks like this option as it’s not too expensive and it covers the 2 inch gap on the rear seat to parcel shelf.

Just me and the dog in the car , so rear seats moving , and two kids seats in the boot were a bit of a waste for me.

The FPace comes standard in MY19 with ICTP , there is no 8 inch ICT anymore.

I find the seats far more comfortable , mind you I got 18 way with air bolsters at the seat sides , so no slipping around in the seat .plus they have electric seat extensions for long legs .

LED headlights lights if you can stretch that bit are awesome too .

To me it’s a far better put together vehicle. Not one rattle so far. I get 37mpg out of the 25t, so the petrol is good too.
Diesels have no issues with oil dilution , but they do in some cases have the driveline vibration through the steering wheel and floor at specific rpm ....same as the DS does so no change there. This appears to be mostly on the older earlier models pretty much like the DS.

It’s an odd sensation at first , it feels smaller as you are more “ in it than on it “ but the driving height is good and the body size is the same as the DS it’s even a couple of centimetres wider and longer.

It also has the great and trusted ZF8 gearbox not the troublesome ZF9 that’s in the DS , I drove the petrol DS back to back with the petrol FPace, there is a notable difference in the transmission, uptake of engine power is flawless .

Plus the FPace left a massive, massive grin on my face after putting it in Dynamic mode and Sport on transmission knob on test drive.

It’s also 100kg lighter in weight than the DS due to all aluminium architecture, you get roof rails with them too as standard.

Hop on the FPace forum , it’s not as busy as here but you’ll get lots of input on which options to get , they are a friendly bunch over there too.

But be aware they do I have a knack of telling everyone to get the biggest engine you can afford 🤔😀😀😳. Which of course is not needed at all.

Better still get one out for a test drive, or do what I did ...booked a test drive with different dealers for different engine variants, not all dealers had all engine models.

It’s not as “agricultural”/interior as the DS , it just seems more refined.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Andy131

Post by Andy131 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:47 pm

Thanks Gents

Looks like an F-Pace is a safe bet. Agricultural interiorof the DS isn't too much of a problem as he "occasionally" throws wet/muddy climbing gear into his current XF which doesn't do it any favours. But reliability is a concern - his jag was great for 3 years, then became a money pit, hence the PCP and get rid as the warranty expires.
2017 DS HSE auto.
2014 Ewok for 6 months, really really rubbish.
2008 FL2 for 185k miles, should have kept her.
2006 FL1 for 110k miles, brilliant car.
2000 FL1 for 100k miles, fell apart but started the LR bug

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”