CritAir sticker in France

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Past master

Re: CritAir sticker in France

Post by Past master » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:09 pm

Chippy, I'm sure there aren't any such plans, but no doubt new colour stickers will be added for future more eco-friendly engines, and there's no reason to suppose that the system won't change some time in the future. I can't see much problem for Germans as, as you say, number plates get changed regularly when the owner sells or moves house, but were I to keep my DS for another 10 years and manage not to have the windscreen replaced, I wonder if my sticker would still be valid? (Or even legible!)
That said, a friend of mine in Bayern runs a 15 year-old BMW. Presumably it's old enough to have a red "keep out" sticker!
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:44 am

If it's one of BMW's fine straight six petrols, then it's probably less polluting than most diesels, even at 15 years old. The 325i I had new in 2000 was a wonderful engine, a proper BMW.
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:16 am

Ian_S wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:44 am
If it's one of BMW's fine straight six petrols, then it's probably less polluting than most diesels, even at 15 years old. The 325i I had new in 2000 was a wonderful engine, a proper BMW.
I can second that Ian. The 325i's I had at the same time had the smoothest engines I've ever had the privilage to drive.
Evoque MY18 TD4 SE 180hp. Loire Blue.
DS MY17 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Aintree Green.
DS MY16 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Corris Grey.

BFGDSMan

Post by BFGDSMan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:57 am

Past master wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:09 pm
Chippy, I'm sure there aren't any such plans, but no doubt new colour stickers will be added for future more eco-friendly engines, and there's no reason to suppose that the system won't change some time in the future. I can't see much problem for Germans as, as you say, number plates get changed regularly when the owner sells or moves house, but were I to keep my DS for another 10 years and manage not to have the windscreen replaced, I wonder if my sticker would still be valid? (Or even legible!)
That said, a friend of mine in Bayern runs a 15 year-old BMW. Presumably it's old enough to have a red "keep out" sticker!
Actually since it is a petrol then it will have a "green 4" sticker. Stickers generally don't fade but the writing can do if its had the VRN written in pen, but printed ones last longer. In all honesty I am not too sure how well they are enforced. My wife has driven into Dortmund loads of times without a sticker and never had an issue and certainly where I live you often see cars with the "original" emissions sticker in the windscreen which doesn't match the current VRN and some people have stickers without any VRN.
Gone: SD4 HSE, TD4 HSE Lux.

Going: TD4 HSE Lux Auto (before it falls apart)

Arriving Mid Sep - Mercedes E220d AMG Cabriolet
Arriving Mid Oct - Mercedes E220d AMG Estate

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:00 am

As far as I’m aware BFG there is actually no system in place to inform them. That is most definitely the case in Stuttgart and most other places here in BW.

Past master

Post by Past master » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:40 pm

Friend of mine was targeted - forget where - by a nice parking warden who didn't fine them and told them where to get a sticker. May have been because he had a UK reg though!
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

elkrider

Post by elkrider » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am

If you come to Germany without a sticker and need one, just go the next automotive service of any brand. Almost all of them will be able to supply a sticker for €5 if you can prove the emission level of your vehicle with the registration papers.
Unlike France, where only locally registered cars can be provided with a sticker, ordered by postal service or via internet. All cars registered outside of France need to get a sticker ordered via internet and paid via internet. If you don't like that, like me, you're out of luck. I try to avoid those areas, but it will become difficult in the future as the areas increase.
MY 2016 16.5 150 SE auto, 5 seater, 8 way electrical seats, lifted the drivers seat to have a better view over the bonnet

GSKM

Post by GSKM » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:32 pm

The French sticker came quickly for me. Applying for it was quick and easy through the Government website, the data for each box corresponding to the numbered lines on the V5.

My Swiss vignette was stuck on at the border check point by the border security bloke. I don't remember being told about the back part being the receipt though. I don't think we kept it. What annoyed me about the guard sticking it in the windscreen was he just plonked it in any old way and it was wonky. I would have carefully aligned it.

Good tip about only fixing the vignettes when required. I'll bear it in mind for the future. (Off topic, it reminds me of a mate who ran a Reliant Scimitar. When his windscreen was getting stone chipped but not completely knackered he'd ring up the windscreen people and check if they had one for his car. If yes, he'd say it was damaged and needed changing, he'd then drive it til the appointed day then knacker it himself so they would change it.
2018 MY DS HSE, manual 180, Firenze Red.
2015 MY Freelander 2 SE Tech. Very good.
2006 Audi A4 Cabriolet. Very unreliable.
1983 110 hardtop 2286. Wish I still had it.

Plumpton

Post by Plumpton » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Is there a mandatory position for the sticker in Germany i.e. bottom left or right of the windscreen?
DS SE Tech 180 Auto June MY17, Yulong White, roof rails, det tow bar, service pack :)

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:31 am

A good question Plumpton. I’m not sure where I would find a definite answer but they are virtually always affixed in the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen (i.e. on the passenger side here in Germany).

If you follow this you won’t be far wrong.

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”