Continental driving

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Bugginbob

Re: Continental driving

Post by Bugginbob » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Final gripe (I really do love my DS, honest!), Swiss Alps and the DS autobox do not go together. I’ve had to revert to paddle shifting 100% of the time as it’s always in too high a gear for the hills, then stops for two seconds to shift down two or three cogs. I had a few unhappy locals nearly rear end me which it was dithering.
MY17 HSE Black, Corris Grey, Diesel Auto
Seat Leon 1.4 Tsi FR Tech
Triumph Scrambler

BFGDSMan

Post by BFGDSMan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:46 am

OK so the xenon headlights are OK on the wrong side of the road, but remember if you have high beam assist you need to change the settings in the instrument panel display to swap the side of the road to "driving on the right", otherwise it will often fail to dip automatically properly!

If you change the digital speedo to km then the cruise control/speed limiter will remain in mph - change the trip computer to km and this will then turn the cruise control/ speed limiter metric and help you avoid those pesky speeding fines.
Gone: SD4 HSE, TD4 HSE Lux.

Going: TD4 HSE Lux Auto (before it falls apart)

Collected - Mercedes E220d AMG Cabriolet
Arriving Mid Oct - Mercedes E220d AMG Estate

simon

Post by simon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:45 am

I just set the cruise based on the KPH shown on the speedo then there no worry if it’s listed in MPH. I never change the trip to Kilometres as my brain works in miles ;)
17MY D5 HSE in Farallon Black 8-)

Traded in - 17MY HSE Lux Corris Grey with Black Design Pack

Rejected - 16MY HSE Lux with Black Design Pack (B-Pillar & Build Quality Issues)

All supplied by the very excellent Shukers of Ludlow

GSKM

Post by GSKM » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Not a comment about the DS, but having just come back from France, they have a different speed limit on their Autoroutes depending on weather. The signs show 110 for wet weather and 130 for dry. When is it classed as wet? When there is rain of any amount falling, the ground is wet or what? I slowed to 110 when there was any rain and everybody seemed to just hammer past me.

Whatever the speed limit, the roads were nicer than ours. Today it took me 5 hours to get to Telford from Porstmouth in what seemed like a continual queue. Over there the roads were empty. I even drove through the centre of Cherbourg with no hassle.
2018 MY DS HSE, manual 180, Firenze Red.
2015 MY Freelander 2 SE Tech. Very good.
2006 Audi A4 Cabriolet. Very unreliable.
1983 110 hardtop 2286. Wish I still had it.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Probably similar to here in Germany. The road is defined as wet when the whole width of the road surface is covered in a film of water.

As you say the average French driver doesn’t care a hoot.
Gone

wardie

Post by wardie » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:49 pm

There are also reduced speed limits being imposed due to emissions and the hot weather. For example in Austria they’ve reduced the main highway limit from 130 to 100. People seem to be sticking to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: MY16 2.0 TD4 180 HSE Auto, Corris grey, ebony leather, 19" style 902, detachable tow bar, silver roof rails, memory seats, InControl plus & secure, traffic sign recognition, HomeLink, USBs passenger shelf & 2nd row, service plan

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:02 am

wardie wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:49 pm
There are also reduced speed limits being imposed due to emissions and the hot weather. For example in Austria they’ve reduced the main highway limit from 130 to 100. People seem to be sticking to it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d stick to the limits as well because the Austrians are sticklers when it comes to checking speeders.
Gone

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”