UHF/CB antenna cable installation question

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
acary

UHF/CB antenna cable installation question

Post by acary » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:29 am

HI All,

Recently just purchased a 5W GME portable cb radio with a magnetic antenna mount. Handy unit, as it can be pulled out when not in use etc.

However i was looking at running the antenna cable as a once off installation by mount the antenna mount on the bonnet and running
the antenna cable through the engine bay into the passenger cabin.
I am not sure as to where would be a good location to do this. I have found the fuse box area located behind the glove box as a potential location to try.
Does anyone know or tried this? I am trying to avoid in having the window down, to run the cable to the external antenna, or drilling any holes in low spots as potential water ingress etc.
Are there other suitable spots to run the antenna location?

thanks in advance.

s5156

Re: UHF/CB antenna cable installation question

Post by s5156 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:13 am

Hi acary
I have seen another post on here re putting "additional cables ot wiring" through the firewall and using one of the existing "soft sections" that carry wires/cables etc.

A couple of members have done damage to wiring looms (they are fragile!) when trying to "punch an additional hole" through these rubber grommets so be very very careful if you take this option!
I'm not sure just which grommet but I expect it's the one that aligns with the passenger side fuse box (it makes sense to me), but maybe you could find the relevant thread on here for more info or the best way to do this.

Cheers David
s5156
Australia
1st DS - HSE SD4 2.2D, B-Pillar Rattle - Gone: July 2017
2nd DS - HSE TD4 180, B-Pillar Rattle - Gone: October 2017
2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription D4, 8Sp Auto, Pine Grey, Bowers & Wilkins, Air suspension. Napa Leather
What a change!

s5156

Post by s5156 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 am

Hi acary

If you search for this topic: "Led light bar install. Wire through firewall" it will give you the info I saw about damage to existing wiring etc.
Hope it helps...
Cheers David
s5156
Australia
1st DS - HSE SD4 2.2D, B-Pillar Rattle - Gone: July 2017
2nd DS - HSE TD4 180, B-Pillar Rattle - Gone: October 2017
2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription D4, 8Sp Auto, Pine Grey, Bowers & Wilkins, Air suspension. Napa Leather
What a change!

acary

Post by acary » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:38 pm

THANKS DAVID,

gives me a better idea. Did find the thread and read through it. I can understand now, why people were drilling holes then placing silicon everywhere. maybe installing a wind deflector on the doors might be a better option and just have the window opened to thread the cable
for the magnetic antenna to be place on roof of vehicle.

I will check out the fuse box option out then make a decision.

best regards

Phil135

Post by Phil135 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:53 pm

Hi acary

Just a reminder that the roof is not steel, so not an option unless you fix a small plate on the inside. That, of course would involve removing the roof lining.

I got around the problem by using double sided mirror/number plate tape to secure a small steel washer behind the sharks fin antenna, and using a mini mag mount aerial, running the thin coax cable into the car through the rear hatch (over the rubber seal) to the radio.

Works a treat, and you can hardly see the wire.

Regards

Phil
17MY SE Tech Corris Grey - Dec 2016 - 18" Grey Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Xenon & LED lights,
Privacy Glass, Rear Camera, Dipping Rear View Mirror, Part Leather Electric Seats.

acary

Post by acary » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:32 am

thanks Phil for that.
any chance at some stage you could post a pic or two.
sounds like a very smart way of doing things.

regards
Andrew

Phil135

Post by Phil135 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi Andrew

As requested, a few photos of my installation.

Use a galvanized washer, mine was about 25mm, paint one side to match the car if required, apply double sided black mirror/number plate tape to the non-painted side, use an alcohol wipe to clean the roof just behind the sharks fin, and carefully position the washer.

Attached the mag mount aerial and run the wire into the car, over the rubber seal, and hide under the trim.

Don't use normal white double sided tape, as the foam layer is too thick and the adhesive not strong enough. (I tried it, and it came unstuck at 70 mph)

When it's time to sell the car, warm the washer with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive, and gently pries off with a plastic tool.

Hope this helps.

Phil

20180714_121427.jpg

20180714_121207.jpg

20180714_121150.jpg

17MY SE Tech Corris Grey - Dec 2016 - 18" Grey Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Xenon & LED lights,
Privacy Glass, Rear Camera, Dipping Rear View Mirror, Part Leather Electric Seats.

acary

Post by acary » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:33 pm

thank you so much Phil.

you are a gentleman. I just spent the day checking the car up and down and by far yours is the safest method to date.
this sends me on my way now.

best regards
Andrew

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”