Oil change cost

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Badgerface

Re: Oil change cost

Post by Badgerface » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:40 am

roydonaldson wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:55 pm
I asked my local National Tyres how much to change the oil and filter in the DS and they quoted £55.
If it were that reasonable, I wouldn't give two hoots about the oil dilution issue.

Sadly, I would imagine that they have quoted you a price without realising that the oil specification required is more than that alone, let alone filter and labour cost.

I can just imagine them chucking in any old 10w40 oil and your engine blowing up within 10 miles.......
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

roydonaldson

Post by roydonaldson » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:57 am

It's JLR spec oil they use. They had to go check the exact spec to confirm the price. Give your local one a call and ask them. It's Fuchs oil they use and they buy it in bulk.

They have done my Mini for years now. £42 a go, get it changed every year.
2017 Discovery Pro, HSE, Nav Pro.

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:05 am

How do you go about resetting the oil dilution counter just out of interest Roy? I seem to recall someone on here had an oil change and the dealer wouldn't reset theirs as they had not carried out the work in the first place.....is there a way of manually resetting this yourself?
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

roydonaldson

Post by roydonaldson » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:03 am

That one I don't know. Not sure whether they can or not, be worth asking them perhaps.
2017 Discovery Pro, HSE, Nav Pro.

Bugginbob

Post by Bugginbob » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:08 am

No doubt there are much cheaper oil change options than LR dealers. As some had mentioned £500+ for an oil change through their dealers I though £212 was much more reasonable (against other LR dealers).

Mines now booked in for when i return from Europe in August and as it will be on approx 20k miles then will be getting its first scheduled service under my service pack rather than interim oil change like last time so no cost to me anyway.
MY17 HSE Black, Corris Grey, Diesel Auto
Seat Leon 1.4 Tsi FR Tech
Triumph Scrambler

roadster

Re: Oil change cost - oil futures!

Post by roadster » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:49 am

While making a general check on the availability of suitable oil I came across Petronas Syntium 7000E at EuroCarParts and as luck would have it they were offering a spot discount of 35%. I was happy to buy 8 litres at just under £60 pounds. I'll probably change it in about 8 weeks given the dilution issues fully discussed on the forum. That will be 1 year and less than 5000 miles but a worthwhile precaution I think. It will be interesting to see if I can reset the service counter using the procedure shown on the forum. Eurocarparts seem to be one of those outfits that change their offers every day so I don't know when the next 35% offer will come up again. I'm also going to need a filter but only a genuine one will do of course.
2018 MY Diesel auto 180 SE tech

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:27 pm

Badgerface wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:05 am
How do you go about resetting the oil dilution counter just out of interest Roy? I seem to recall someone on here had an oil change and the dealer wouldn't reset theirs as they had not carried out the work in the first place.....is there a way of manually resetting this yourself?
Yes... and NO
Yes if your car was built from MY2017 onwards, see:

No if your car was built before this date (it will have the old style 'jewelled' instrument cluster) as a software update to enable the car to display a service required message (many, including mine did not do this and I had to remember to take it in at 21k miles for a service) has meant that only the Land Rover diagnostics can currently reset the counter. You could go to an independent that has invested in such a device.

Given the above, I have not yet tried the youtube steps on my car as its not required a service (just had one in April), I read in one of the bulletins that this was the case (Oil Dilution bulletin?)

BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, flaps, privacy glass, memory pack, travall dog guard. Built Oct 2015.

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:01 pm

BobbyBox wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:27 pm
Badgerface wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:05 am
Yes... and NO
Yes if your car was built from MY2017 onwards, see:

No if your car was built before this date (it will have the old style 'jewelled' instrument cluster) as a software update to enable the car to display a service required message (many, including mine did not do this and I had to remember to take it in at 21k miles for a service) has meant that only the Land Rover diagnostics can currently reset the counter. You could go to an independent that has invested in such a device.

Given the above, I have not yet tried the youtube steps on my car as its not required a service (just had one in April), I read in one of the bulletins that this was the case (Oil Dilution bulletin?)

BB
Stop Press...
The method in the YouTube video I posted in a previous comment DOES work for MY2016 vehicles like mine that had the N025 counter split software update added. Some 10k miles earlier than scheduled (53k not 62k) the car was calling for service, I put this down to oil dilution indicating an interim oil change.
I have just successfully undertaken an oil change and reset the call for service without needing any special equipment. Took me about an hour as I was in no rush and afforded myself a cup of tea in the middle!
This resets the message on both the Instrument Cluster and the InControl Remote app. Happy Days!

The guy in the video above has also posted a handy video explaining how to do the oil change

As the car is almost at its warranty expiry, I will take the vehicle in for a main service (when it gets to 62k) to main dealer/good independent and do the interim oil changes myself. Cost £98 all in. Approx £80 for the 6.53lt oil (2x5l is usually cheaper), £12 for the oil filter (genuine LR), new sump plug (genuine LR) £6. Used engine Oil is disposed of at our local Waste Recycling Centre.

BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, flaps, privacy glass, memory pack, travall dog guard. Built Oct 2015.

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:54 pm

detail about the filter change is here:

BB

BFGDSMan

Re: Oil change cost - oil futures!

Post by BFGDSMan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:57 am

roadster wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:49 am
While making a general check on the availability of suitable oil I came across Petronas Syntium 7000E at EuroCarParts and as luck would have it they were offering a spot discount of 35%. I was happy to buy 8 litres at just under £60 pounds. I'll probably change it in about 8 weeks given the dilution issues fully discussed on the forum. That will be 1 year and less than 5000 miles but a worthwhile precaution I think. It will be interesting to see if I can reset the service counter using the procedure shown on the forum. Eurocarparts seem to be one of those outfits that change their offers every day so I don't know when the next 35% offer will come up again. I'm also going to need a filter but only a genuine one will do of course.
This is what I have put in mine for the last two oil changes. Seems to get another 1500 to 2000+ miles out of the engine before the service light comes on compared with the original oil. Good price product though (mine was €65 for 10 litres with free delivery (to Germany) from ebay).
Gone: SD4 HSE, TD4 HSE Lux.

Going: TD4 HSE Lux Auto (before it falls apart)

Arriving Mid Sep - Mercedes E220d AMG Cabriolet
Arriving Mid Oct - Mercedes E220d AMG Estate

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”