Auto Stop Start

All Discovery Sport related discussions
ChrisBlows

Auto Stop Start

Post by ChrisBlows » Mon May 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi, I have just taken delivery of my new SE Tech.
Auto with various options and so far everything is going well and I love the car.
Question is with the auto stop start. How long can the car be stopped, ie engine off, before the battery says "enough".
I am of the age when we were taught not to overload the battery, so if you are in a traffic jam, the engine is off, but the air conditioning is running, as is the sat nav, the music and at night the lights, what do you do?

Thanks
Chris

Mike Martin

Re: Auto Stop Start

Post by Mike Martin » Mon May 28, 2018 10:54 pm

If the battery gets anywhere near saying ‘enough’ the engine will automatically restart. It will also restart if you turn the steering wheel even slightly, or slightly release the foot brake then press down again, or pull up the electronic break ‘handle’.
DS MY18 SE-TECH Petrol 240bhp Auto, Fuji White, with Xenon, privacy glass etc, delivered May’18
Gone:-
DS MY16.5 SE-TECH Diesel 180bhp Auto, Fuji White, with Xenon, privacy glass etc, delivered Apr'16.

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Tue May 29, 2018 3:02 am

The aircon is a belt driven compressor off the engine, so isn't in itself a drain on the battery. The fan to circulate the cool air is, and this will automatically slow during a stop to save power. If there is heavy demand on the climate control (or other electrical systems such as heated windscreen or climate seats) the car will not cut the engine in the first place, and if while you're stopped the temp rises too far from your setpoint it will start the engine again. In a nutshell, don't worry about it, the car will automatically manage things so that the battery isn't run down too much during stop/start.
SE TD4, MY 2016.5, 110kw/150bhp 2.2 PSA Engine, Fuji White/Ebony, Oz towbar, xenon pack. Delivered 25th June 2016, Perth Western Australia.

roadster

Post by roadster » Tue May 29, 2018 9:31 am

The key to this is the condition of the battery. If you use the car regularly and for something other than short journeys it will never be an issue but if, like me, there are occasions when you will hardly use during a period of several weeks then the stop-start may seldom work. I monitor battery voltage and put it on charge if it gets close to 12.0 volts but my circumstances are possibly unusual. Its a big battery but there is some drain from all of the active electronics when its parked up.
The dealers are supposed, as part of the PDI, to make absolutely sure that the battery is fully charged before delivery but I prefer to check that for myself in the interests of a long battery life. There have been cases on this forum where owners have complained about erratic stop/start performance and batteries have been replaced under warranty very early in the cars life (QED).
2018 MY Diesel auto 180 SE tech

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Tue May 29, 2018 10:12 am

I could be wrong, but as far as I know all the JLR stop/start vehicles use AGM batteries that have slightly different charging requirements to normal wet batteries. I believe AGM batteries prefer a lower charge voltage, and can be susceptible to overcharging in vehicles that aren't designed with AGM in mind, or possibly by non-AGM aware chargers.

CTEK IMO do some very good chargers that are AGM aware, and should, if you don't do longer journeys, keep the battery in good enough health that the stop/start function should remain working, if that is important to you.
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Tue May 29, 2018 11:13 am

+1 for CTEK - I have the MXS5.0 which is connected to both my Land Rovers at least once a month, the DS is AGM and FL2 wet flood/lead acid battery. It keeps them in tip-top condition.
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

ChrisBlows

Post by ChrisBlows » Tue May 29, 2018 11:27 am

Wow, thanks one and all, useful info.

Chris

XES Owner

Post by XES Owner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:16 am

You might be interested in this post from the xeforums:

Posted by repairman

"Interesting Bulletin found on Fpace forum, Note it is listed on Topix for XE as well
Thanks to contributer"

Maybe relevant to the DS !!

SSM73824 Eco Stop Start.pdf
(35.15 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

Awaiting delivery of DS Si4 290 in Narvic Black. Anticipated 31/07/2018 - Hmm, now end of Septembert for a MY19 version @ MY18 price.
Jaguar XE S in Ultimate Black with lots of toys
Number plate X3 *** for Jaguar XE and X4 *** for DS 4 X 4

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”