Volvo XC90 3 months in

The place to discuss everything else..
weemark

Volvo XC90 3 months in

Post by weemark » Thu May 17, 2018 3:53 pm

Thought it about time I gave a few notes on the XC90 having now driven something around 4k miles.

Firstly a bit of background - I bought a DS in September last, it was always a bit of a compromise and I thought I could live with it. The compromise is that I'm 6' 7" and the DS was about an inch short in all the crucial driving position dimensions - I thought I could live with it but how wrong I was. Less than 5 months later the crippling backache caused by the driving position after a 600 mile trip in 3 days became too much to bear and it had to go. An expensive lesson learned! My views on the DS are well documented on here, not least of which the appalling gearbox drove me mad, and I should say the dealers (Shukers) were good enough to come up with a solution that (should have) meant that diesel dilution issues would not have been an issue for me. And to the XC90...

As ever this was a bit of a surprise - I went in looking at the old model XC60 (that had issues for someone of my height with the huge and intrusive footrest) but for a laugh I sat in an XC90 - oh! And then SWMBO bless her heart suggested I should have a test drive just to see and that clinched it! A few points

1) The seats and driving position are for me perfect - massive amount of adjustment and support and having the Inscription Pro means the seat squab can be extended forward.

2) It's a big old lump of a car and I was initially concerned that the 2litre diesel would not be enough to move the thing along the road. Wrong - with 235 bhp it's more than powerful enough although can be heard when worked hard

3) The gearbox - 8 speed job and the best I can say is that you really don't notice it, the changes both up and down are completely seamless and can be heard only if you listen very very hard. The issue with the DS box where it never seemed to be in the right gear when you coasted up to a junction etc is simply not present. Yes it can be a tad slow to respond when you want a quick overtake but that's no issue

4) Space - more boot space than in the DS but slightly less legroom in the rear - not that I care as I never sit there - in fact no-one yet has as there are only 2 of us and we don't have kids!

5) Suspension - it's an adjustable air setup - in standard comfort mode to me it feels as tho the body isn't properly connected to the chassis, great for wafting along motorways but as soon as you get to the bendy stuff it's not great. So I have a default profile setup where the engine is in standard mode and I drop and stiffen the suspension thru the dynamic setting. Works a treat

6) Ride - I used the word 'waft' above and it's like that. You just waft along in your own world in peace and comfort, a thoroughly pleasant place to be. There's a bit of road noise, not surprising given the mahoosive 21" boots on it, but it's way better than I initially thought it would be and it's certainly no noisier than my DS on 18" rims. With the chosen suspension setup it handles really well - yes it's huge car but handles the corners way better than the rolly polly DS

7) Economy - currently averaged 34.9 mpg over the 4k miles so just a tad less than I managed in the DS. But that hides the real truth - having learned now how to drive the thing properly the last 2k miles have seen me average 37.8mpg and this last week a couple of trips around the Mid and N Wales hills have seen me touching 40mpg - am happy with that (and these are actual figures rather than what the car tells me - although the car is only differing by around 0.5 mpg)

8) Build quality - in a different league to the DS. The materials used and the way they're screwed together is what you'd expect at this price level - no squeaks, no rattles. It's what the DS should be and seems to be a Volvo trait - the new XC60 and XC40 are exactly the same and Land Rover should be paying close attention

9) Interior/Design - just fabulous from the opening pan roof to the dashboard layout. Only 8 buttons on the dash, with the majority of functions being set through the centre display. What most reviewers seem to miss though is that once the various settings are made, you never need to touch the centre display again - all you need can be operated from the steering wheel or through voice control

10) Headlights - are superb, Adaptive bendy LEDs with shadow box technology - brilliant implementation and makes the crappy candle in a jam jar halogens on my DS look like they came off the Ark

11) Faults - None so far but a couple of minor irritations. Firstly I have my profile (seat position, mirrors, temperature etc) linked to my key so every time I open the car it's as I want it - but I can't associate my individual drive mode to the key, so defaults to the soggy comfort setting, 2 seconds with the drive mode thumbwheel sorts that but an irritation. Secondly the ipod integration isn't perfect - no way to select a band and shuffle all their songs so I could for example overload on the Foo Fighters. You can get round this for some bands but not all thru the voice control system so need to resort to pulling the ipod out of the centre console - another irritation!

So that's it - more than delighted I made the change but obviously hacked off with myself that I mistakenly bought a DS, for my specific needs it simply wasn't big enough. I could go on about the individual design features on the 90 that just make sense and work (the interior door handles for example being one) but no-one wants to read all that. I know this is not a direct competitor for the DS and I'm not trying to suggest it is but if there's anyone else in my situation it's worth a much closer look

Chippy

Re: Volvo XC90 3 months in

Post by Chippy » Thu May 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Thanks for taking the time to comment on the Volvo Mark and it's good to hear that you're so pleased with it.

Have you any idea who makes the gearbox for Volvo?

Cheers, Chippy
Gone

weemark

Post by weemark » Thu May 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Aisin I think Chippy - to me it behaves like an auto box should - and if you're desperate to hold onto a gear or change down quickly just flip the stubby little gearlever over to manual

roydonaldson

Post by roydonaldson » Thu May 17, 2018 6:18 pm

How much did you pay for it vs. the DS ?
2017 Discovery Pro, HSE, Nav Pro.

tcos

Post by tcos » Thu May 17, 2018 7:01 pm

comment removed by moderator , show respect to other members, warning issued
HSE LUXURY,180BHP 8 SPEED AUTO SILICONE SILVER, FULL BLACK PACK, VINTAGE TAN, DYNAMIC DRIVE, ADAPTIVE CRUISE, HUD, DIGITAL TV, INCONTROL PRO,SURROUND SOUND, 10.2" NAV, ADAPTIVE LIGHTS,SURROUND CAMERAS, WADE SENSING,ELECTRIC TOW BAR,DRIVER ASSIST,

wardie

Post by wardie » Thu May 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Chippy wrote:Thanks for taking the time to comment on the Volvo Mark and it's good to hear that you're so pleased with it.

Have you any idea who makes the gearbox for Volvo?

Cheers, Chippy
Think its an 8-speed Aisin AW TG-81SC (Wikipedia)
Interesting as my Q7 has a ZF 8 speed box and its completely different to the ZF9 in the DS (in a good “i never think about it” way)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gone: MY16 2.0 TD4 180 HSE Auto, Corris grey, ebony leather, 19" style 902, detachable tow bar, silver roof rails, memory seats, InControl plus & secure, traffic sign recognition, HomeLink, USBs passenger shelf & 2nd row, service plan

weemark

Post by weemark » Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 pm

tcos wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:01 pm
moderated
Grow up

ntc

Post by ntc » Thu May 17, 2018 7:41 pm

moderated and warning issued, be respectful to other users
MY 2016.7 Hse Lux 180
UK

weemark

Post by weemark » Thu May 17, 2018 7:59 pm

Maybe the pair of you should read the forum rules and act accordingly before you get banned. In the meantime I'll take your advice and leave - had enough crap on this forum

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu May 17, 2018 8:16 pm

weemark wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:59 pm
Maybe the pair of you should read the forum rules and act accordingly before you get banned. In the meantime I'll take your advice and leave - had enough crap on this forum
Warnings issued , folks if you see comments like this please hit the report button I pick them up quicker then.

More than happy for you to stay if you want Weemark , the comments are fowl of the rules and have been treated as such.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”