Autobahn musings

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Past master

Autobahn musings

Post by Past master » Wed May 16, 2018 6:19 pm

Have just got back from a quick trip to Budapest. This was my first high-speed trip with the DS so here's my opinion for what it's worth. The DS performed perfectly all the way. It was happy to cruise at speeds between 100-110 mph where legal (it crept up to an indicated 120 on a downhill stretch), although you can hear a bit of a hum from the motor once you get over 100. Although the car is a bit short of acceleration during normal overtaking, it seemed fine when judging the acceleration to get into the autobahn fast lane. I didn't get any wet weather, but the car was steady as a rock at those speeds on dry roads, and felt much more sure-footed than my FL2 did. Fuel consumption at speed was down from the usual 42mpg at 70mph to around 32mpg. Wind noise was very slight and I had no trouble hearing the traffic announcements over the radio. In other words I'm very happy. I did get grilled at the first services in Austria by a pleasant policeman who wanted to show off his English (but was really looking for stolen cars - nice to think the DS is regarded as "desirable"). He was a bit confused by my e-vignette. Looks like they haven't told all the police yet that you can buy a virtual vignette online and don't need to display it on the screen. Usual note for first-time autobahn drivers - when you've got it up and cruising at 110 mph, always bear in mind that there's someone coming up behind you at closer to 200, and he's expecting you to move out of his way!
Btw the car was an ex-demonstrator, so it wasn't surprising that it needed a free oil change at around 8000 miles, but it's now done 11000 miles since its 21000 service and hasn't asked for another oil change yet. Perhaps I have the correct "driving style"!
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

Chippy

Re: Autobahn musings

Post by Chippy » Wed May 16, 2018 6:36 pm

An interesting summary whereby I hope you weren’t doing the 110mph in Austria cos it’s way over the legal speed limit.

And for those who aren’t aware of it speeds in excess of 130kph on German motorways can lead to the driver being found partially responsible in the event of an accident. It’s a so-called recommended maximum speed.
Evoque MY18 TD4 SE 180hp. Loire Blue.
DS MY17 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Aintree Green.
DS MY16 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Corris Grey.

Past master

Post by Past master » Wed May 16, 2018 7:23 pm

I did say "where legal". Although the traffic in Austria generally moves at well over the legal limit, especially off the motorway! The 130 kph rule has I think had an effect in Germany. There are fewer people doing really silly speeds than there used to be, although that's partly because of the traffic density. Judging by the weekend's observations, the rule doesn't appear to apply to Bavarians and Romanians though! I felt that I was mainly driving at average speeds, certainly no faster than most and a lot slower than some. And at least Germans seem to keep to the limit in those impossibly narrow roadworks lanes. Even those had no speed limit when I used to live in Germany.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Glad you enjoyed your trip and nice to see the police looking out I’ve seen a few being pinched this year ( keyless theft) , mostly recovered in the U.K.

Yep that’s the perfect driving style without doubt. Keep the exhaust and engine hot and your fine. At that speed your DPF will be clean enough to eat your dinner off it.

Totally agree it’s a great car to drive......but I’m loving the FPace a wee bit more now 🤫.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 pm

I agree with you Past Master that the recommended 130kph rule has had a certain calming affect on many drivers. Around the Stuttgart area where we live 130 is only possible in the middle of the night anyway.
PS my comment about your speed were obviously somewhat tongue in cheek😄
Last edited by Chippy on Wed May 16, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evoque MY18 TD4 SE 180hp. Loire Blue.
DS MY17 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Aintree Green.
DS MY16 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Corris Grey.

Bugginbob

Post by Bugginbob » Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 pm

32mpg at 110mph?! I’m lucky to get 32mpg cruising at 75 in my DS, if I go above 80 it plummets to 25/26mpg ☹️
MY17 HSE Black, Corris Grey, Diesel Auto
Mini Countryman Cooper S All4
Triumph Scrambler

Past master

Post by Past master » Wed May 16, 2018 11:21 pm

Bugginbob wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 pm
32mpg at 110mph?! I’m lucky to get 32mpg cruising at 75 in my DS, if I go above 80 it plummets to 25/26mpg ☹️
Well that's what the computer said. Can't guarantee its accuracy. I find that any UK journey that doesn't involve a cold start will give me 40 plus. Throw in a cold start or two and it plummets, I agree. Bear in mind I was filling up twice a day!

BFGDSMan

Post by BFGDSMan » Thu May 17, 2018 9:55 am

Bugginbob wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 pm
TBH (and living in Germany) I think once you get above 80mph (130kph) there isn't hat much drop off in fuel economy. If we do a run back to UK via Holland and the cruise is nailed to 120 kph (70 mph) all the way we get about 7.0l/100km (about 40mpg). If we do our usual long journey down to Bavaria the either way average at 130 kph (80 mph) is about 7.8 l/100km (36 mpg), but if its clear and we do pretty much 160 kph (100mph) all the way then it is rarely worse than 8.5l/100km (33 mpg).

Not brilliant and all relative, but actually experience tells me we never in reality shave more than 20 mins off our journey to Bavaria if we go as flat out as possible as it only takes one lorry overtaking to loose minutes of speed gained over other vehicles we have overtaken and we have to stop to fuel. Much as it driver SHMBO (German) nuts I often prefer to sit at 120 to 130 kph and not have to concentrate as much and potter back.

Oh and buy the way despite all of our high speed motoring , still can't get more than 14000km (7500miles) between oil changes :(
Gone: SD4 HSE, TD4 HSE Lux.

TD4 (180PS) HSE Lux, Auto, Santorini, Ivory Leather, 19" Chrome Shadow alloys, Privacy Glass, Mudflaps (poor start..constant niggles).

Now arriving Sep 18 - Merc E220d SE Estate & E220d AMG Cabriolet

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”