Exhaust Filter warning & Ad blue

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
CSMnorman

Exhaust Filter warning & Ad blue

Post by CSMnorman » Wed May 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Background information; I purchased my MY17 as approved used in February 2018 with only 48 miles on the clock. Obviously NOT used and had been sitting in the dealers yard for 7 months.
Just had my first ad blue top up at 4000 miles. Main Dealer said this was normal mileage. So I have to get this topped up every 4k miles for the rest of my ownership :?: :?: :?: At least its free for the duration of my 2 year service plan.
Anyway, less than a week after this I've had an amber exhaust filter blocked warning lamp, saying I need to drive for 20 minutes at over 40mph to clean it. This warning seems strange to me. How long do I have before it becomes 'serious'?
My travel journeys of 1 hour or more on motorways occur at least 3/5 times per month. I very rarely do stop/start town driving, and quite often drive for 30 mins or more, but not necessarily at over 40 mph - BUT I do have ECO setting enabled.
Could that be influencing this I wonder?
Could sitting around at the dealers unused for 7 months make any impact?
Interested to hear your views on both of the above.
MY17 SE tech 2.0 Ingenium SD4 manual
Santorini Black
Full leather seats

Chippy

Re: Exhaust Filter warning & Ad blue

Post by Chippy » Wed May 16, 2018 6:23 pm

The fact that the car was sitting on the dealers forecourt for seven months shouldn’t, in my opinion, have any affect on the situation.

4000 miles between AdBlue top ups seems reasonable.

I always drove my DS’s on Eco mode and never once had a warning. It’s the same with my Evoque with Ingenium engine.
Gone

Adi55

Post by Adi55 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:48 pm

I’ve now done 17k miles and never had the amber warning to clear the exhaust filter due to me doing almost daily long motorway journeys I assume?
I purchased the car with 3k on the clock and have only had to have 1 ad blue top up on 9k miles so the question is does the miles and type of journeys I do also reduce the top ups of the ad blue or is there something wrong?
MY17 SE Tech Santorini black
Full leather + Pan roof

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed May 16, 2018 7:17 pm

CSMnorman wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:10 pm
Background information; I purchased my MY17 as approved used in February 2018 with only 48 miles on the clock. Obviously NOT used and had been sitting in the dealers yard for 7 months.
Just had my first ad blue top up at 4000 miles. Main Dealer said this was normal mileage. So I have to get this topped up every 4k miles for the rest of my ownership :?: :?: :?: At least its free for the duration of my 2 year service plan.
Anyway, less than a week after this I've had an amber exhaust filter blocked warning lamp, saying I need to drive for 20 minutes at over 40mph to clean it. This warning seems strange to me. How long do I have before it becomes 'serious'?
My travel journeys of 1 hour or more on motorways occur at least 3/5 times per month. I very rarely do stop/start town driving, and quite often drive for 30 mins or more, but not necessarily at over 40 mph - BUT I do have ECO setting enabled.
Could that be influencing this I wonder?
Could sitting around at the dealers unused for 7 months make any impact?
Interested to hear your views on both of the above.
As soon as you get the warning you need to carry out the drive to clear the DPF , otherwise you’ll end up in limp mode with a red light and back at the dealers. Ignore at your peril would be the concern.

It needs this long drive at least every 250 miles to keep the filter clean , if your not doing long journeys with a hot engine this may appear again.
You can join the other DS diesel owners aimlessly driving round to clear their DPF due to what JLR call driving style.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Jockmcsporran

Post by Jockmcsporran » Wed May 16, 2018 8:27 pm

I've topped up twice in 12k miles but never had any other messages.
I do drive Aberdeen to Leeds 2 or 3 times a month though so I must be optimal driving type for it.

CSMnorman

Post by CSMnorman » Wed May 16, 2018 10:21 pm

Well a strange thing happened this evening. Took the car into town, about a 5 mile drive and warning lamp on all the way. Managed to do about 50mph for first couple of miles then normal town driving.
Left the car for 2 hours.
Turned engine on and NO warning lamp appeared. When I got home the warning still wasn't on so turned off. Left it for a few minutes and restarted..still no warning lamp.
Am going on motorway journey tomorrow so will report back after that.
Perhaps a potential fault I wonder??
Santorini Black
Full leather seats

CSMnorman

Post by CSMnorman » Thu May 17, 2018 9:22 pm

I'm pleased to report that the amber warning light hasn't re-appeared today.
I guess the warning will be logged somewhere in the cars system, so I'll get that checked in case its a potential fault.
Appreciate all your thoughts and comments.
Most helpful.
Santorini Black
Full leather seats

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu May 17, 2018 9:30 pm

There were some vehicles with a faulty DPF fitted and that did give spurious orange lights so well worth getting it checked out if your vin is in the range concerned , details are on this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7558&hilit=Faulty+DPF
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

CSMnorman

Post by CSMnorman » Thu May 17, 2018 9:55 pm

Ahh...just checked my VIN and it falls in that range.
Definitely going back for a check then.
Appreciate that link.
Santorini Black
Full leather seats

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu May 17, 2018 11:05 pm

CSMnorman wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:55 pm
Ahh...just checked my VIN and it falls in that range.
Definitely going back for a check then.
Appreciate that link.
Yeh they have to drop the box down to see if it has the “FB” on the box, so may take a bit of time. A good blast up a motorway should clear it out too. They don’t like short journeys repeatedly.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Return to “Faults & Technical”