Service Confusion

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Hawks

Service Confusion

Post by Hawks » Wed May 16, 2018 11:34 am

Hi All,

I have just got my car back from the main dealer after its 3rd annual service @ 32,500 miles, all covered under the pre-purchased service plan.
I am not mechanically clued up on modern engines so have to rely on what the service department tell/advise me.
So the service history printout states:
Scheduled Service Completed
48,000 miles/36 Months
Related service Items:
Renewal of Oil & Oil Filter
Renewal of Brake Fluid
Renewal of Pollen Filter
Renewal of Engine Air Filter

My concerns are the oil is turning black already (less than 20 miles) service state this is perfectly normal, I appreciate that the engine oil does turn black in diesel engines but would have thought it would stay new looking for a few hundred miles at least, I am now wondering if they have tested it and just topped it up rather than do a complete change.
Also I find it extremely difficult to get an accurate oil level reading on the dip stick, mine seems to spread a thin amount a lot higher than the top level mark, I have left the engine off for 30 minutes as advised by the service, but it still clings to the upper part of the dip stick.
looking in the engine compartment it doesn't look like any thing has been worked on, fixings, clips etc. look un-touched, I would have also expected signs of finger/hand marks, but even the layer of dust looks un-marked, so how can I check that the filters have actually been changed, I don't even know where they are located.
Never had this dilemma with any other manufacturer!
Any views would be appreciated.
2015 - HSE, SD4, Manual, Santorini Black, Black Pack 20" Wheel Option, Adaptive Xenon, Climate Seats, Fixed Side Steps, and the best option, 3rd Row USB so my granddaughter can keep her ipad on, no more are we there yet.

Chippy

Re: Service Confusion

Post by Chippy » Wed May 16, 2018 12:03 pm

Hawks, I’d go back to the dealer and ask to see the full worksheet as completed and signed off by the service mechanic. And ask them the questions too.
Evoque MY18 TD4 SE 180hp. Loire Blue.
DS MY17 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Aintree Green.
DS MY16 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Corris Grey.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed May 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Some dealers just suck the oil out the top , a full drain is never done.in fact there’s a topix document I came across that specifies the kit dealers should use if they choose to do a top drain.

Not that I distrust dealers ( ok I do) I always mark the air filter, fuel filter and oil filter and the wheel nuts . Then I know what’s been removed and what’s been changed.

Always take the dipstick out , wipe it and reinsert it to get correct level.( avoids and splash marks whet the oil clings to)
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Wed May 16, 2018 12:55 pm

It's pityful that one has to go to such lengths.
Evoque MY18 TD4 SE 180hp. Loire Blue.
DS MY17 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Aintree Green.
DS MY16 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Corris Grey.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed May 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Chippy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:55 pm
It's pityful that one has to go to such lengths.
All started 30 years ago when they gave me someone else’s tyres back , 4 x 3 month old for MOT, swapped for 4 ilegal with no tread that failed MOT.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Wed May 16, 2018 2:49 pm

It's quite normal for diesel engine oil to go black almost immediately. It's highly unlikely they ever do a full engine flush and - as Barnsh says - just suck the oil out the top. I'm sure they don't get all the old oil out, which alleviates this problem.

You could remove the oil filter housing if you're feeling brave but it will be very hard to prove that it's a new filter now you've driven the car. Your only option at this point would be to send an oil sample off to Millers and have them test it. This will give you an indication of how close to the manufacturer's original specification the oil now is. If it's way off, then I highly doubt they changed the oil and you have every reason to open a LRCRC case and have them investigated. Trading Standards would probably also be interested if you discover this to be true.

Ultimately, if you have the paperwork (Online Service History, on a Land Rover) to say that the work has been done, I wouldn't be too concerned. Even if the work hasn't been done by the dealership, it sounds as though you have stuck to the manufacturer's recommended service schedule and the burden of proof would be on them in the event of a catastrophic engine failure of any kind. You've fulfilled your obligation by having it serviced as per the service schedule. You can't do any more than that, unfortunately.

Steve
17MY HSE Auto 180 in Carpathian Grey with Ebony Leather, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails, and Row 2 USB.
Stereophonic B Pillar Ticking (No Cost Option) and a horrendous auto box.
DISCO3.CO.UK Contributor of 10 Years - Trying a DS for a while
MINI Cooper D Convertible

NoDiscoSport

Post by NoDiscoSport » Wed May 16, 2018 4:18 pm

+1 re colour
All my turbo-diesels have come back from servicing with black oil; 10 years ago Toyota told me it was normal and I believed them, no reason JLR should be any different. On my non-turbo Vetus boat engine (Mitsubishi 1800 cc) it tends to stay clearer for much longer (about 500 hours at 1400 rpm) but only because I always change it before it becomes black and then try to drain it fully.

+1 re oil sampling. Here's how I would do it if I still had to.
Buy the £40 package from Millers which buys two bottle kits. Use the first to test the old oil for diesel and wear metals. Drive the car for 200 miles and then sample again to obtain a base-line datum for the new oil. According to Castrol Tech, this ensures that the next sample can be compared to a known datum, rather than assuming that wear metals and dilution started out at zero - they don't. If you find 6% diesel dilution after only 200 miles then the oil wasn't changed.
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Gone. Not of satisfactory quality. Not as described.

Hawks

Post by Hawks » Wed May 16, 2018 10:06 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will go down the oil test route as that is my most concern, the car is not used off road or dusty roads/tracks so I’m not to concerned about the filters, will definitely take the advise from Barnsh and leave some tell tale marks prior to the next service.
Cheers.
2015 - HSE, SD4, Manual, Santorini Black, Black Pack 20" Wheel Option, Adaptive Xenon, Climate Seats, Fixed Side Steps, and the best option, 3rd Row USB so my granddaughter can keep her ipad on, no more are we there yet.

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Wed May 16, 2018 10:17 pm

Hawks - my FL2 also has the SD4 2.2 engine, and within a 12 mile drive back from my trusted independent, the oil is as black as the ace of spades, so I wouldn't worry frankly. I know that they do the job properly with Castrol, it's just the nature of the beast. Don't stress about it, just enjoy it.

Ps: given the engine that you have, get rid of the main dealer and their prices, and find yourself a decent independent that knows this PSA DW12 engine better than most main dealers do....it'll save you a few quid as well!
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Thu May 17, 2018 10:14 am

Hawks wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:06 pm
Thanks for all the replies, I think I will go down the oil test route as that is my most concern, the car is not used off road or dusty roads/tracks so I’m not to concerned about the filters, will definitely take the advise from Barnsh and leave some tell tale marks prior to the next service.
Cheers.

Please let us know how you get on with the oil test. I'd love to know if they did actually change the oil or not (although I suspect even JLR dealers are not that unscrupulous).

Take NDS's advice and buy the Advanced Kit which gives you two oil sample bottles. It's more cost effective that just buying one.

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/services/oil-analysis

Good luck,

Steve
17MY HSE Auto 180 in Carpathian Grey with Ebony Leather, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails, and Row 2 USB.
Stereophonic B Pillar Ticking (No Cost Option) and a horrendous auto box.
DISCO3.CO.UK Contributor of 10 Years - Trying a DS for a while
MINI Cooper D Convertible

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”