Real World Diesel MPG

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Wool

Re: Real World Diesel MPG

Post by Wool » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:31 pm

Hello,
Had mine for about 6 weeks now and clocked 2000+ miles. Average going by the dash across all journeys is 41 mpg on diesel. A rough calculation on fuel purchased against miles and I think it’s there about. No evidence of regen either good or bad so jury is still out on that. I live in the hilly part of Northumberland and weekday journeys are either Newcastle or Carlisle, 40 mile or 50 mile each, lots of hills and just light traffic.
Lovely car and will be disappointed if I start getting dpf problems.
MY17 DS HSE Manual 180, Electric towbar, Santorini Black . Service pack inc.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:36 pm

Wool wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:31 pm
Hello,
Had mine for about 6 weeks now and clocked 2000+ miles. Average going by the dash across all journeys is 41 mpg on diesel. A rough calculation on fuel purchased against miles and I think it’s there about. No evidence of regen either good or bad so jury is still out on that. I live in the hilly part of Northumberland and weekday journeys are either Newcastle or Carlisle, 40 mile or 50 mile each, lots of hills and just light traffic.
Lovely car and will be disappointed if I start getting dpf problems.
You can usually tell when a regen is underway / happened as the fuel consumption for a trip of 20-30 minutes or more drops by about 10mpg. Particularly noticeable if you run the same route repeatedly, e.g. commuting.
MY19 P240 HSE (on order), Indus, Black Pack, Privacy, Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
MY16 HSE Black, Santorini, Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging.

Natsweeb

Post by Natsweeb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:18 pm

Average 40 .0 mpg over 8000 miles. Normal or eco mode seems to make no difference.
Most miles on roads with between 50 to mph limits

Natsweeb

Post by Natsweeb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:20 pm

oops!
...between 50 to 70 mph limit1!

Whooooooosh

Post by Whooooooosh » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:36 pm
You can usually tell when a regen is underway / happened as the fuel consumption for a trip of 20-30 minutes or more drops by about 10mpg. Particularly noticeable if you run the same route repeatedly, e.g. commuting.
Thanks Dashnine that totally puts my mind at ease. I drive the exact same 17.8 miles each way to and from work. I average between 32 - 34 minutes and 44+mpg. Then one day last week it took the same old average time to drive to work except the MPG was about 10 mpg lower. I was scratching my head imagining that the mix was running rich due to the cold weather, or the brakes were binding. Either might have been true but it didn't happen again so I was imagining the worst that I might have an intermittent fault.

The self cleaning DPF regen as you described it is now an entirely plausible cause.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE LUX - Aintree Green + Cream Leather

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”