Real World Diesel MPG

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Wool

Re: Real World Diesel MPG

Post by Wool » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:31 pm

Hello,
Had mine for about 6 weeks now and clocked 2000+ miles. Average going by the dash across all journeys is 41 mpg on diesel. A rough calculation on fuel purchased against miles and I think it’s there about. No evidence of regen either good or bad so jury is still out on that. I live in the hilly part of Northumberland and weekday journeys are either Newcastle or Carlisle, 40 mile or 50 mile each, lots of hills and just light traffic.
Lovely car and will be disappointed if I start getting dpf problems.
MY17 DS HSE Manual 180, Electric towbar, Santorini Black . Service pack inc.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:36 pm

Wool wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:31 pm
Hello,
Had mine for about 6 weeks now and clocked 2000+ miles. Average going by the dash across all journeys is 41 mpg on diesel. A rough calculation on fuel purchased against miles and I think it’s there about. No evidence of regen either good or bad so jury is still out on that. I live in the hilly part of Northumberland and weekday journeys are either Newcastle or Carlisle, 40 mile or 50 mile each, lots of hills and just light traffic.
Lovely car and will be disappointed if I start getting dpf problems.
You can usually tell when a regen is underway / happened as the fuel consumption for a trip of 20-30 minutes or more drops by about 10mpg. Particularly noticeable if you run the same route repeatedly, e.g. commuting.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Natsweeb

Post by Natsweeb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:18 pm

Average 40 .0 mpg over 8000 miles. Normal or eco mode seems to make no difference.
Most miles on roads with between 50 to mph limits

Natsweeb

Post by Natsweeb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:20 pm

oops!
...between 50 to 70 mph limit1!

Whooooooosh

Post by Whooooooosh » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:36 pm
You can usually tell when a regen is underway / happened as the fuel consumption for a trip of 20-30 minutes or more drops by about 10mpg. Particularly noticeable if you run the same route repeatedly, e.g. commuting.
Thanks Dashnine that totally puts my mind at ease. I drive the exact same 17.8 miles each way to and from work. I average between 32 - 34 minutes and 44+mpg. Then one day last week it took the same old average time to drive to work except the MPG was about 10 mpg lower. I was scratching my head imagining that the mix was running rich due to the cold weather, or the brakes were binding. Either might have been true but it didn't happen again so I was imagining the worst that I might have an intermittent fault.

The self cleaning DPF regen as you described it is now an entirely plausible cause.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE LUX - Aintree Green + Cream Leather

VeryDiscoSport

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:25 pm

NoDiscoSport wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:27 pm
Hybrids learn your driving style and adapt the battery usage strategy to squeeze maximum mileage out of the fuel. The Toyota sales rep told me it would take 6 months for this to happen and I have to admit that I was sceptical. But he was right, the best individual "journey to date" (usually an 80 mile commute) has continued to increase from 46.9 to 53.7 and I haven't changed a thing about the way I drive. I can now beat the manufacturer's own NEDC figures with 95 Ron driving at 63 mph indicated (60 mph true). Every tankful now does over 500 miles with another 6 litres (50-60 miles) in reserve. These figures are derived from Fuel Added / Miles Driven - the car's computer over-estimates this by 2% or about 1 mpg. The next model is due out next year and claims a further 6% improvement. Detailed report dated 25th June 2018 at Honest John Owner Reviews
For those thinking about going for a proper hybrid :D , I picked up the new 2019 RAV4 yesterday. The fuel economy is amazing. Doing the same commute this morning as the one from last July, this was the result>

2019 RAV4 Mileage.jpg

That 509 miles + reserves on the Mark 4 has increased to 590 miles plus reserves with the 2019 model. The standard items include adaptive cruise control, smart entry system, full-leather heated seats (electric memory for the driver), LED automatic headlights with washers, 360 degree prox sensors and rear view camera, heated steering wheel, auto-stow mirrors with puddle lights, BSM, PCS etc, and a wide-screen satnav display with the latest Lexus interface. With a new chassis and suspension it's now definitely a mid-size SUV with DS-quality ride and handling. Dimensions: 460 cm long, 186 cm wide, 169 cm tall, turning circle 10.6m (DS 12m), boot 580 dm3 with seats up. Toyota zero per cent finance with no penalties for early settlement appears to be too good to ignore, even if you have the cash.

PS - I decided to pay a one-off payment of £160 for 36 months Return-to-Invoice Gap Insurance. This seems too good to turn down compared to £399 for the Toyota offering. Any thoughts on Gap?
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Rejected as "not of satisfactory quality", "not as described", Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:40 pm

Yeah, but that front end though....
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

VeryDiscoSport

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:40 pm
I know, I know..... But due to some careful engineering features you can't actually see it from inside :lol:
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Rejected as "not of satisfactory quality", "not as described", Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Robsters

Post by Robsters » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:47 pm

VeryDiscoSport wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:43 pm
Dashnine wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:40 pm
I know, I know..... But due to some careful engineering features you can't actually see it from inside :lol:
Good to see you again VeryDiscoSport, the new car sounds great 👍 if I can get the garage to take their finger out of their backside and accept my rejection I will definitely consider the new RAV4 👌
First time LR owner, I have joined more forums than I care to remember over the years from Volvo, VW, Mazda, Peugeot, Ford, Vauxhall, Fiat and probably others!!
Bye bye Volvo XC90 hello Land Rover Discovery Sport 180 d HSE 2016

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:51 pm

Interesting that no-one has yet mentioned tyre pressures. Inflating 1 or 2 psi from the light load settings may well get a couple of extra mpg.

Different kettle of fish I know but in my old leaf I got about 10% better efficiency with 3psi extra in the tyres. For those interested after converting the electricity costs back into diesel costs it worked out at 135-175mpg , dependent upon electricity and diesel costs at the time.

My £7/week of electricity has become ca £45 of diesel in the DS
MY19 Landmark - Narvik Black, Traffic Sign Recognition, Reduced Spare Wheel, Alloy Pedals

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”