Ingenium Diesel long-term reliability

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Discotex99

Re: Ingenium Diesel long-term reliability

Post by Discotex99 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:50 pm

I think the safest bet is not to keep the vehicle when it becomes a high miler. As it’s too much of a gamble, JLR are never going to resolve or openly admit the problem along with the B pillar. In some respects I wish the motoring press highlighted this or consumer TV programs, the downside is the effect on residual resale prices, so it’s catch22 and JLR get away with it.
Easy for me to say as I’ve moved on from DS ownership, I lost trust in JLR and would never touch or recommend JLR products due to their appalling attitude to customer support and not rectifying known design faults. As I’ve said before JLR had potentially a great vehicle in the DS but have marred it by their head in the sand ignorance.
MY16 Se Tech 180 Auto. Nightmare now sold

NoDiscoSport

Post by NoDiscoSport » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:56 pm

Discotex99 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:50 pm
I think the safest bet is not to keep the vehicle when it becomes a high miler. As it’s too much of a gamble, JLR are never going to resolve or openly admit the problem along with the B pillar. In some respects I wish the motoring press highlighted this or consumer TV programs, the downside is the effect on residual resale prices, so it’s catch22 and JLR get away with it.
Easy for me to say as I’ve moved on from DS ownership, I lost trust in JLR and would never touch or recommend JLR products due to their appalling attitude to customer support and not rectifying known design faults. As I’ve said before JLR had potentially a great vehicle in the DS but have marred it by their head in the sand ignorance.

100% agree with every word of that.
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Rejected as "not of satisfactory quality", "not as described", Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:02 pm

I'll be ditching our third Ingenium engined vehicle probably the day after we stop using it as a towing vehicle for our caravan.

By that time I would estimate that we will have driven our current one for less than 30,000 miles mainly on motorways so I'm not anticipating any catastrophic engine problems. Sure, I'll need to have a couple of extra oil changes but I can live with that.
MB GLC 250d.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Both rejected - B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.

DiscoG

Post by DiscoG » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:23 pm

It seems that this is probably not the car driving the next 12 years… Too bad. The concept of the DS is great. But without the necessary durability it makes no sense to keep the car.
I will go with it for 3 years and around 40k miles and will do the oil analysis. And if I see in the results what I read here I will definitely replace it. But hey: I’m open for (positive!) surprises !
Maybe the facelift brings some advantages in this area.
2018 DS SE 150 Auto Firenze Red
Average fuel consumption: 7,7 l/100km
Average AddBlue consumption: 1,3 l/1000km

4850km -> DPF replaced
31400km -> first Service: 5,8% oil Dilution / high Fe and Al and some others, got N289

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Wed May 09, 2018 7:23 am

JLR aren't alone in ignoring major engine issues...

BMW have even more serious problems IMO with a whole range of their older 2.0d engines fitted to 1/3/5 series where the timing chain just snaps. It was never intended to be a serviceable part and goes without warning. Happened to someone I know who parked their car up in the evening all fine and then next morning it wouldn't start, chain just snapped.

It's in the rear of the engine, so impossible to change/check without removing the engine.

BMW's answer? No problem exists, and on a case by case basis, *if* you had kept the car main dealer serviced, they might contribute towards the (considerable) repair cost. Beware buying older x20d BMW's... It even made BBC Watchdog to no real avail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... ring-fault

Makes you wonder what would cause a car manufacturer to actually admit a design issue.
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Chris b

Post by Chris b » Mon May 14, 2018 5:19 pm

20,000 miles per year and 53,000 to date and no engine issues structurally. I have a (high mileage) service contract and do a DIY oil change in between.
Issues so far:
Can phase sensor error (amber warning light,m no fault in driving) - software fix to allow more "float" before tht light comes on
Restricted performance (three times) said to be due to low DEF triggering false alarm, fixed DIY once by switching off and waiting and all back on again
Incorrect DEF quality detected (twice)- software fix
DEF injection malfunction - loose connection, so new connector and longer wires fitted by LR Assist
Suspension noise over speed bumps one side only - dealer glued the dust shield in place (official LR service fix)

Average fuel consumption calculated from all miles and all the fuel put in = 43.4 MPG (lots of motorway trips between Yorkshire and the Midlands and London, almost all using a mix of Shell Fuelsave and Shell V-Power, apart from trips to Ireland buying the cheapest stuff from the filing station near my Son's house that the taxi drivers use ) - average of trip computer MPG tank by tank = 45.5 MPG, average 4.8% optimistic compared with volume measurements but ranges from 2% to 14%
19MY 2.0 HSE Manual. FIrenze+Corris roof, black headlining & grey 18" wheels
Gone:
2015 DS 2.0 HSE Manual 59k miles
2x Freelander 2 XS 09MY &13MY
G4 Discovery 2 (Tangiers Orange)
2x Discovery XS Tdi '97 Co. car then own '98

StuartSimpson

Post by StuartSimpson » Thu May 24, 2018 6:57 pm

I do 40k miles per annum and have a 2017 180 SE Tech DS manual. Over the past 6 months nothing but trouble with Amber transmission light coming on. EGR Cooler eventually replace and has only lasted 3 weeks and another one put in, all sooted up!!!! Prop shaft also replaced and now steering sensors replaced. Car has been off the road for 2 months out the last 4!!!!!

Bit of a disgrace really, formal complaint lodged and awaiting response
2016 Discovery Sport SE Tech 180 Manual Fuji White with Santorini Black Contrast Roof, Privacy Glass, Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror, Reversing Camera

StuartSimpson

Post by StuartSimpson » Thu May 24, 2018 6:58 pm

Sorry 2016 DS with 80k now on the clock!!!!
2016 Discovery Sport SE Tech 180 Manual Fuji White with Santorini Black Contrast Roof, Privacy Glass, Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror, Reversing Camera

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu May 24, 2018 7:06 pm

If Id kept mine I would have changed it at 3 years , then depending on how the “high miler folks” are getting on on here I’d decide whether to get another or jump ship. I’ll probably do the same with the current petrol Jag.

It’s good to see the high milers on here as in the next 2/3 years there should be some more info on those close to 100k miles.

Interesting observation , the two high milers above are both manual !
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Blacky

Post by Blacky » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Had new engine on mine after 91K. chain tensioner problem and piston hitting the valve. Its MY65 se tech auto. Dealer said it would have cost me around 15K if not under warranty.
Black 65 plate (automatic)
Second owner at 86K
High mileage (over 100K)
Engine gearbox dpf replaced under warranty at 92K

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”