The death of diesel? Or the future?

The place to discuss everything else..
Dashnine

Re: The death of diesel? Or the future?

Post by Dashnine » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Huge numbers of Velars in Cornwall last week (most not on local plates), DS next most common and a few D5.
HSE Black MY16 (180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging. Golf GT Convertible and Mini First complete the family.

NoDiscoSport

Post by NoDiscoSport » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:27 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:24 pm
It's diesel demonisation affecting vehicles at the lower price point, the more expenive car owners don't give a damn or are happy to pay for the higher petrol consumption.
No mention of DD from JLR. According to the PR release the main reasons why July's numbers were in the toilet was another month of very low sales in China ( though a different reason was given to last month's) and "[the] industry-wide issue of delays in WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure) certification of 2019 model year vehicles". Industry-wide?
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Gone. Not of satisfactory quality. Not as described.

PhilMabbots17

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:11 pm

NoDiscoSport wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:27 pm
Dashnine wrote:
It's diesel demonisation affecting vehicles at the lower price point, the more expenive car owners don't give a damn or are happy to pay for the higher petrol consumption.
No mention of DD from JLR. According to the PR release the main reasons why July's numbers were in the toilet was another month of very low sales in China ( though a different reason was given to last month's) and "[the] industry-wide issue of delays in WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure) certification of 2019 model year vehicles". Industry-wide?
All six of the current models have a credible petrol option, with a total range consisting of 11 petrol, 2 PHEVs and 18 diesel powertrains.

If a customer doesn't want to buy a diesel for reasons outside the control of the vendor JLR are now in a position to compete for any petrol sales going. If the customer subsequently decides not to buy the Land Rover petrol offering it is twisting the truth to say that this was due to "diesel demonization". The fact would be that the sale was lost by JLR because their petrol offering was beaten by its competition or possibly disregarded at the short-list stage.

I doubt we'll hear much more on the subject of diesel demonization, particularly as the man who lobbied so hard on its behalf in the first place is no longer in the picture. This was the same man who told us that we're too stupid to understand any of the issues related to emissions.
2017 (66) Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic Sport
REJECTED 17MY DS HSE 2.0L 148HP Indus Silver Park Assist Electric Tow Bar

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:11 am

NoDiscoSport wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:27 pm
Dashnine wrote:
There you go then, I guess the July figures are partly the result of being unable to order a DS earlier in the year. I assume JLR would be happy to quite DD if it were the case for the sales drop. No idea why China sales are down, perhaps they couldn't supply enough red ones.
HSE Black MY16 (180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging. Golf GT Convertible and Mini First complete the family.

NoDiscoSport

Post by NoDiscoSport » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:08 am

In-depth WLTP article from AM online below. DS/Evoque sales drop is still majorly disproportional but only time will tell what the reasons are. No brochures yet, presumably related to WLTP.

https://www.am-online.com/news/latest-n ... r-supplies
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Gone. Not of satisfactory quality. Not as described.

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:45 am

PhilMabbots17 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:11 pm
I doubt we'll hear much more on the subject of diesel demonization, particularly as the man who lobbied so hard on its behalf in the first place is no longer in the picture. This was the same man who told us that we're too stupid to understand any of the issues related to emissions.
That man was a PR disaster .... :)
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:29 am

I see today in the daily mail the reason for large discounts is now growing and gathering significant pace for dealers with unsold stock .
Any new vehicle that does not meet WLTP before 1st September cannot be sold as a new car after this date , all stock must be so,d as second hand !!

Bag a bargain time .

I guess this is because the dealer will have to register them before 1st September. This “glut of registrations may also affect new purchases of compliant vehicles as you can be sure DVLA systems will crash.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:32 am

NoDiscoSport wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:08 am
In-depth WLTP article from AM online below. DS/Evoque sales drop is still majorly disproportional but only time will tell what the reasons are. No brochures yet, presumably related to WLTP.

https://www.am-online.com/news/latest-n ... r-supplies
Yes an on jaguar web site ( I haven’t checked Landrover) the figure published for CO2 has a caveat of
“ this is the figure we are aiming for “. How misleading is that ??
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:37 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/a ... paign=1490

The biggest savings are for in-stock models that do not meet the new regulations but remain road legal, and which are typically available as ex-demo or pre-registered vehicles so that dealers can sell them beyond the 1 September cut-off.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:40 am

Ian_S wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:45 am
PhilMabbots17 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:11 pm
That man was a PR disaster .... :)
The man has no idea how intelligent a large majority of his customers are .
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”