Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Andy131

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by Andy131 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:54 pm

Mine was 9k and 11 months old when I bought her in November, and has always had a "supercharger whine" when worked hard ie 2,000rpm and above. After the balance shaft job I got to drive back to storage and the engine was completely silent, and yes despite newly being rebuilt she did get redlined. Our previous 2016 DS was never silent, but did not have the same whine - different sound deadening 2016 -2018 cars ?, or just different hardware D180 compared to D240 ?

It did take the dealership just over a week to do the work, despite the lady in the service department being convinced it would only take a couple of days.
2018 DS HSE Lux.
2017 DS HSE auto, for 45k nice (grey!) car.
2014 Ewok for 6 months, really really rubbish.
2008 FL2 for 185k miles, should have kept her.
2006 FL1 for 110k miles, brilliant car.
2000 FL1 for 100k miles, fell apart but started the LR bug

Craigox

Post by Craigox » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:40 pm

Finally got mine back the other day after 9 days in the garage. I haven’t had chance to have a real good listen to the engine as yet. Noted the dealer had taken it for a 16 mile round drive as a test run. I’m not too concerned by this as long as the work has been successful. I had the new DS as a courtesy car which had a quiet engine so I think even though the fix has made it quieter it won’t be as quiet as that was.

I’ll see how the next week goes......fingers crossed!
MY18 HSE 180 Narvik Black Privacy glass

ORI

Post by ORI » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:25 am

Does anyone know if directly sourced LR replacement engines now come with a new design of balance shafts as standard ? MY18 (only 10K) went in to have shafts replaced and then dealer told me i needed a whole new engine ! Picking car up today after they changed engine but am unclear if this new engine will have modified balance shafts already installed. The dealer when asked the question just tells me its a brand new engine from LR so all will be OK and nothing for them to check :?
MY18 D180 HSE Lux, Gallium/Silicon Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, Panoramic Roof, 12 Way Memory Seats, Spacesaver, Cold Climate, Park, Connect & Protect Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows, Illuminated Aluminium Tread Plates

Craigox

Post by Craigox » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:50 pm

Craigox wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:40 pm
Finally got mine back the other day after 9 days in the garage. I haven’t had chance to have a real good listen to the engine as yet. Noted the dealer had taken it for a 16 mile round drive as a test run. I’m not too concerned by this as long as the work has been successful. I had the new DS as a courtesy car which had a quiet engine so I think even though the fix has made it quieter it won’t be as quiet as that was.

I’ll see how the next week goes......fingers crossed!
Update: engine is definitely quieter, the whistle has gone. However I find myself nursing the engine a bit thinking how much work has been done on it. I worry that other posts seem to link to new engine being fitted. What’s the best way to confirm it a new engine fitted?
MY18 HSE 180 Narvik Black Privacy glass

66DS

Post by 66DS » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:49 pm

Just wondering- I read pages 1-9 and then skipped ahead- I have purchased a MY17 2.0 diesel 180 at 3 years old 57k. If there was likely to be a problem with the balance shafts, would it have occurred yet as most of the issues seem to be earlier? And if not- as the car is now out of LR warranty, would LR goodwill up to a certain mileage or time period if I did have a problem.
Someone at work runs DS on lease for 1 year at a time and both of his previous cars have had the same issue but at low mileage.

Many thanks
MY17 SE Tech Santorini Black
180bhp Auto
Fixed pano roof, factory rear tints and removable towbar.
Norfolk

adeolly

Post by adeolly » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:29 am

Bit of an update to my earlier post.
I've now covered 15k miles in my F-Pace since the balance shafts were replaced at almost exactly 5k. I can report that the car has been competely fautless in all respects since then. Even the ITCP and a couple of SOTA updates have all worked perfectly.

As for our DS, that's at 23k and no issues whatsoever, though I wil admit the short journeys are making the distancd to next service plummet very fast, and seemingy much faster than before the first proper servie done at 19.5k.
MY18 2.0 150 HSE manual, Firenze red with narvik black roof, rear tints, 2nd row USB, blind spot monitoring, reverse traffic detection, space saver spare.

Andy131

Post by Andy131 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:46 pm

Had ours back for a week, I am just so surprised how quiet the cab is, you really have no indication of how hard the engine is working.
It's a bit annoying that the original dealer must have known that the shafts were screwed when we picked up the car in November, as the noise is very obvious once you know what you are listening for.

After driving a top of the range Disco 5 for a month, and £84k Merc GLS for another month, you have no idea how happy I am to get ours (MINE all mine) back.

When they are running well there is no nicer place to be.

Down side is - if you get a D240 as a loaner you are not going to be happy when you get your D180 back.
2018 DS HSE Lux.
2017 DS HSE auto, for 45k nice (grey!) car.
2014 Ewok for 6 months, really really rubbish.
2008 FL2 for 185k miles, should have kept her.
2006 FL1 for 110k miles, brilliant car.
2000 FL1 for 100k miles, fell apart but started the LR bug