Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Chris b

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by Chris b » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:02 pm

Oil change is standard requirement for the balance shaft change, it's in the job sheet and I confirmed it with the dealer when i booked-in as I was planning my own 10-11,000 miles change (so saved the oil till next time).

My shafts were changed at about 11,500, so 10,000 miles ago so I'm pretty confident that the new parts are doing the job correctly (even though I had no issues with my 3 years and 60,000 miles on its 15MY predecessor HSE with early Ingenium engine).

By the by, I just booked in for drive shaft bearing replacement, drivers side and the technician who confirmed my diagnosis on short road demonstration, told me that this has happened before after the driveshaft has been disturbed, e.g. as part of the balance shaft change when the powertrain is disconnected to remove it. Apparently some preload on the shaft/CV joint is disturbed and it does not go back together quite the same making the RH support bearing noise more likely.

It would be interesting to know how many other owners have had the driveshaft issue after the balance shaft change compared with those who had driveshaft noise repaired on its own.
2018 2.0 HSE Manual. FIrenze Red +Corris roof, black headlining & grey 18" wheels
Gone:
2015 DS 2.0 HSE Manual at 59k miles
2x Freelander 2 XS 09MY &13MY
G4 Discovery 2 (Tangiers Orange)
2x Discovery XS Tdi '97 Co. car then own '98 ex-demo

Average Punter

Post by Average Punter » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:32 am

Add another to the list... :shock:

A December 2018 Discovery Sport that needs a balance shaft replaced after only 10,000km.

The engine whine started at about 7500km and is getting worse. :(

Kicks in from around 1500rpm, peaks at around 2200rpm, then settles a bit as the transmission changes gear only to steadily rise again.
No power loss apparent.

Local dealer (Wagga Wagga NSW Australia) very helpful but they have to order the parts (2-3 weeks) and then they will need the vehicle for a week . Service tech told me not to drive it so we'll be on to Land Rover tomorrow for a loan car until it's fixed.

Without reading all 32 pages (I will tonight) surely that can't be doing the engine any good.

AP
2018 Discovery Sport HSE TD4

Chris b

Post by Chris b » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:43 am

Don’t over-worry AveragePunter. The bearing get noisier but I’ve never heard of a failure. I asked to see the shafts/bearings taken out of mine and the surface marking was very slight despite the noise level.
My bearings were changed in 2 -days, actually a day and a half but it suited me to collect the car at th end of the second day. Mine was quite new (11,500 miles at the time of repair) and it came a part and went back together easily. I doubt they really need it for a week!
2018 2.0 HSE Manual. FIrenze Red +Corris roof, black headlining & grey 18" wheels
Gone:
2015 DS 2.0 HSE Manual at 59k miles
2x Freelander 2 XS 09MY &13MY
G4 Discovery 2 (Tangiers Orange)
2x Discovery XS Tdi '97 Co. car then own '98 ex-demo

JLR Virgin

Post by JLR Virgin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:31 am

Had my 2018 HSE in at main dealer for them to fix an annoying vibration from around the centre console area (there 4th attempt at it). Called me today and said it was now fixed and then asked if I had heard a whine from the engine which I hadn't. Told me the noise was from the balance shaft and that I would need to bring the vehicle back in for it to be replaced and that they would need it for two weeks. I asked if a full engine change was needed and they said no. It will be done under warranty but still a bit concerning

Average Punter

Post by Average Punter » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:26 pm

UPDATE
Spoke to Land Rover Customer Relations today.
Was told the balance shaft problem is a "known issue" and the car is perfectly roadworthy.
I explained that we were planning approximately 3000km of travel between now and the repair and I was told that "even if the balance shaft is not replaced it will not do any damage, just make a noise"
Interestingly he said "balance shafts are all being replaced" but denied there was a full recall.
No loan car was offered during the wait time but I can get a loaner when the car is actually in for service.
2018 Discovery Sport HSE TD4

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”