Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Chris b

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by Chris b » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:02 pm

Oil change is standard requirement for the balance shaft change, it's in the job sheet and I confirmed it with the dealer when i booked-in as I was planning my own 10-11,000 miles change (so saved the oil till next time).

My shafts were changed at about 11,500, so 10,000 miles ago so I'm pretty confident that the new parts are doing the job correctly (even though I had no issues with my 3 years and 60,000 miles on its 15MY predecessor HSE with early Ingenium engine).

By the by, I just booked in for drive shaft bearing replacement, drivers side and the technician who confirmed my diagnosis on short road demonstration, told me that this has happened before after the driveshaft has been disturbed, e.g. as part of the balance shaft change when the powertrain is disconnected to remove it. Apparently some preload on the shaft/CV joint is disturbed and it does not go back together quite the same making the RH support bearing noise more likely.

It would be interesting to know how many other owners have had the driveshaft issue after the balance shaft change compared with those who had driveshaft noise repaired on its own.
2018 2.0 HSE Manual. FIrenze Red +Corris roof, black headlining & grey 18" wheels
Gone:
2015 DS 2.0 HSE Manual at 59k miles
2x Freelander 2 XS 09MY &13MY
2003 G4 Disco 2 Tangiers Orange
2x Discovery XS Tdi '97 Co. car then own '98 ex-demo

Average Punter

Post by Average Punter » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:32 am

Add another to the list... :shock:

A December 2018 Discovery Sport that needs a balance shaft replaced after only 10,000km.

The engine whine started at about 7500km and is getting worse. :(

Kicks in from around 1500rpm, peaks at around 2200rpm, then settles a bit as the transmission changes gear only to steadily rise again.
No power loss apparent.

Local dealer (Wagga Wagga NSW Australia) very helpful but they have to order the parts (2-3 weeks) and then they will need the vehicle for a week . Service tech told me not to drive it so we'll be on to Land Rover tomorrow for a loan car until it's fixed.

Without reading all 32 pages (I will tonight) surely that can't be doing the engine any good.

AP
2018 Discovery Sport HSE TD4

Chris b

Post by Chris b » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:43 am

Don’t over-worry AveragePunter. The bearing get noisier but I’ve never heard of a failure. I asked to see the shafts/bearings taken out of mine and the surface marking was very slight despite the noise level.
My bearings were changed in 2 -days, actually a day and a half but it suited me to collect the car at th end of the second day. Mine was quite new (11,500 miles at the time of repair) and it came a part and went back together easily. I doubt they really need it for a week!
2018 2.0 HSE Manual. FIrenze Red +Corris roof, black headlining & grey 18" wheels
Gone:
2015 DS 2.0 HSE Manual at 59k miles
2x Freelander 2 XS 09MY &13MY
2003 G4 Disco 2 Tangiers Orange
2x Discovery XS Tdi '97 Co. car then own '98 ex-demo

JLR Virgin

Post by JLR Virgin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:31 am

Had my 2018 HSE in at main dealer for them to fix an annoying vibration from around the centre console area (there 4th attempt at it). Called me today and said it was now fixed and then asked if I had heard a whine from the engine which I hadn't. Told me the noise was from the balance shaft and that I would need to bring the vehicle back in for it to be replaced and that they would need it for two weeks. I asked if a full engine change was needed and they said no. It will be done under warranty but still a bit concerning

Average Punter

Post by Average Punter » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:26 pm

UPDATE
Spoke to Land Rover Customer Relations today.
Was told the balance shaft problem is a "known issue" and the car is perfectly roadworthy.
I explained that we were planning approximately 3000km of travel between now and the repair and I was told that "even if the balance shaft is not replaced it will not do any damage, just make a noise"
Interestingly he said "balance shafts are all being replaced" but denied there was a full recall.
No loan car was offered during the wait time but I can get a loaner when the car is actually in for service.
2018 Discovery Sport HSE TD4

Andy131

Post by Andy131 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:31 pm

mine were done this week - well actually a week and a day, but who's counting. Turns out the engine is actually silent, seriously mines always had the supercharger type whine since I picked it up late November.

Shame is I can't drive the car because some kind soul drove into the side and it has been declared unfit to drive until repaired. His insurer Admiral are playing hard ball and refusing to let me use the repairer recommended by Farnell. So I get a loan car, then I don't, then maybe I do if I use their repairer, then they will issue a check for 60% of the repair quote (their engineer says it will cost a lot less if their repairer).
2018 DS HSE Lux.
2017 DS HSE auto, for 45k nice (grey!) car.
2014 Ewok for 6 months, really really rubbish.
2008 FL2 for 185k miles, should have kept her.
2006 FL1 for 110k miles, brilliant car.
2000 FL1 for 100k miles, fell apart but started the LR bug

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:08 pm

Andy131 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:31 pm
mine were done this week - well actually a week and a day, but who's counting. Turns out the engine is actually silent, seriously mines always had the supercharger type whine since I picked it up late November.

Shame is I can't drive the car because some kind soul drove into the side and it has been declared unfit to drive until repaired. His insurer Admiral are playing hard ball and refusing to let me use the repairer recommended by Farnell. So I get a loan car, then I don't, then maybe I do if I use their repairer, then they will issue a check for 60% of the repair quote (their engineer says it will cost a lot less if their repairer).
It’s your choice which repairer you use , plus remember it may affect your warranty / resale value if repairs are not covered by JLR guarantee.
Your entitled to a hire car loan car through your own insurance ? They then claim that cost back for the offenders insurance.
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Simportant

Post by Simportant » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi Andy131,

Why would you use the other insurers repair shop? It's cheaper becasue it'll be some back street cowboy.

I'd go for a Landrover Authorised repairer and not let them bully me into sub-standard (cheap) fixes - just my opinion. It's not your problem that you were hit by some other muppet.
MY18 Dynamic Lux, Storm Grey, Petrol 290 auto, Black Pack, ICTP/825w Meridian
GONE MY18 DS HSE Black 2.0 TD4 180 Auto, Santorini, ICTP/825w Meridian.

Andy131

Post by Andy131 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:49 pm

As it stands you can use the repairer of your choice - but...
Admiral have an agreement with a JLR approved workshop with preferential rates, if their quote is less than my repairer, then they can just issue a cheque for their repairers amount. You then take it to your repairer and pay the difference.

It works the other way, I could take the car to a back street garage and pocket the difference.

I was quoted "you have the right to use your own repairer" by a solicitor, and two claims management companies, who both later said that in court I would be seen as unreasonable (as Admiral were offering a JRL workshop), and not only due to pay the difference in repair costs, but also their legal costs.

Their JLR approved repairer has stated that they do not normally replace damaged wheels, they "Refurbish them" in line with Admirals instructions. The repairer who are recommended by the dealer I bought the car from (2 months before the accident) have stated that they would replace the wheel, tyre and wheel bearing - it's this level of thoroughness that leads me to believe that they would be doing a good job.

It could be worse, I could be driving a loan Mercedes pimp wagon that does 22mpg and stinks like an ashtray - oops I am, thanks for that Admiral.

Mmm bought a 12 month old car, that has already had repair work done (resprayed rear) has just needed the engine out for balance shafts and exhaust solenoid, and now is going to be repaired on the cheap.
2018 DS HSE Lux.
2017 DS HSE auto, for 45k nice (grey!) car.
2014 Ewok for 6 months, really really rubbish.
2008 FL2 for 185k miles, should have kept her.
2006 FL1 for 110k miles, brilliant car.
2000 FL1 for 100k miles, fell apart but started the LR bug

Craigox

Post by Craigox » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:22 pm

Interesting to read this topic. My car has been in now for a week and day for the balance shafts. However the dealer are not filling me with confidence that I’ll get the car back anytime soon. At least I did get a courtesy car though.

I saw it mentioned but is there a significant change to engine in sound and/or performance? The sound has been pretty much the same since I got the car as new but never had a comparison to check against.

I’m hoping this gets the fix so I can see out the remaining lease.
MY18 HSE 180 Narvik Black Privacy glass