Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
PhilMabbots17

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Mikey123 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:05 pm
Bought a new DS in may this year, popped into my dealer yesterday for AdBlue and was told the balance shaft needs replacing or maybe a new engine. Whats the consensus view on what I can & can't insist ie. new engine or new car or just balance haft replacement ?
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Also, whats the legal position with Land Rover selling vehicles with a known common fault.
Mikey123 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:11 pm
Has anyone successfully rejected a vehicle and how did you do that ?
Mikey123, much has been written on this already and I suggest that you locate the search box at the top left of the screen and start researching there. You will be pleasantly surprised by the depth of the resources the forum possesses. In a situation like yours there would seem to be just one possible avenue for rejection but only if, having received a new engine or a repair in the form of new balancer shafts, the car were to experience the same problem again (S9 CRA 2015: rejection as "not of satisfactory quality").

I don't think it makes much difference if the fault is one that has already appeared in other vehicles and even been acknowledged by the manufacturer through bulletins or other engineering notices - as this one has. The problem is that, even though it is quite widespread, clearly not every DS experiences a balancer shaft failure and, since no misrepresentation has occurred, the other sections of CRA 2015 (s10 "not fit for purpose" and S11 "not as described") don't appear to be applicable. That's why it's such a bastard of a problem to have, especially if you've got your own money invested. A more aggressive lawyer than the one I used might be prepared to push for a rejection at this stage, but I wouldn't bank on it.
2017 (66) Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic Sport
REJECTED: 17MY DS HSE 2.0L 148HP Indus Silver Park Assist Electric Tow Bar

Mikey123

Post by Mikey123 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:34 am

Thanks Phil

Had the balance shaft bearings replaced last November, the noise has returned, now they say the balance shaft is the problem
and a modified shaft will be fitted. I believe under the Consumer Act 2015 this is the second repair on the same problem and I wish to reject the vehicle. I did compromise first by requesting a new engine, but this was rejected. I am now employing solicitor to go forward.

PhilMabbots17

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:47 am

That makes things clearer. If you bought the car outright the rejection is made to the dealer, otherwise to the finance provider that technically owns the vehicle. In its simplest form the rejection requires a letter explaining your grounds for rejection, including which section of CRA you are using, together with instructions for their collection of the car (it is the dealer's or bank's job to collect their property following rejection). I would split the rejection from the negotiation of any deduction for vehicle usage (just like you would do with a sale), otherwise the money becoms a lever, which is not helpful in establishing firmly the fact that a rejection is going to happen. People have been asked for 60p per mile but others have driven a much harder bargain, in some cases obtaining full refunds. If they offer a sort of buy-back linked to another JLR product there might be a win-win depending on your wallet and attitude towards their vehicles generally.
2017 (66) Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic Sport
REJECTED: 17MY DS HSE 2.0L 148HP Indus Silver Park Assist Electric Tow Bar

Mikey123

Post by Mikey123 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:12 am

Thanks Phil that's very helpful.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Chris

phutran

Post by phutran » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:16 pm

hi,
i bought brand new 2017 land rover discovery sport TD 180 17 MY HSE after 1 year the balance shaft is the problem and Dealer had the balance shaft replaced, but after few months happened again. this time the replaced with new design by diamond balance shaft but the car driving not smooth like before and i sent the car back for dealer. they just reset the software, i did compromise first by requesting a new engine, but this was rejected. i get back the car driving from 2 months the car not powerfully now. i sent the car back to dealer and then they just did computers scanning and resets software again. They said nothing wrong with the car. so please give me advice for this case. thanks

phutran

Post by phutran » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:19 pm

hi,
i bought brand new 2017 land rover discovery sport TD 180 17 MY HSE after 1 year the balance shaft is the problem and Dealer had the balance shaft replaced, but after few months happened again. this time the replaced with new design by diamond balance shaft but the car driving not smooth like before and i sent the car back for dealer. they just reset the software, i did compromise first by requesting a new engine, but this was rejected. i get back the car driving from 2 months the car not powerfully now. i sent the car back to dealer and then they just did computers scanning and resets software again. They said nothing wrong with the car. so please give me advice for this case. the car just 18000KM now and still 3 years of warranty. I’m from Melbourne Australia. thanks

CRC@LandRover

Post by CRC@LandRover » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:39 pm

phutran wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:16 pm
hi,
i bought brand new 2017 land rover discovery sport TD 180 17 MY HSE after 1 year the balance shaft is the problem and Dealer had the balance shaft replaced, but after few months happened again. this time the replaced with new design by diamond balance shaft but the car driving not smooth like before and i sent the car back for dealer. they just reset the software, i did compromise first by requesting a new engine, but this was rejected. i get back the car driving from 2 months the car not powerfully now. i sent the car back to dealer and then they just did computers scanning and resets software again. They said nothing wrong with the car. so please give me advice for this case. thanks
Last edited by CRC@LandRover on Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Past master

Post by Past master » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:41 pm

CRC@LandRover wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi Phutran,

I am concerned to learn of your comments.

Please can PM me your 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), the approved retailer that you have attended and your contact number.

Once I have received this information I would be happy to assist further.

Thanks,

Becci

Land Rover UK
Does this mean that CRC Land Rover UK are now happy to assist owners in Australia? I thought that this was not the case previously.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

CRC@LandRover

Post by CRC@LandRover » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:52 pm

phutran wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:16 pm
hi,
Hi Phutran,

Thank you for your post.

I can confirm that you would need to contact the Customer Relationship Centre within your Market.

Please note that the email address for the Australian CRC on crcau@jaguarlandrover.com.

Thanks, Becci

Land Rover UK

CRC@LandRover

Post by CRC@LandRover » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:53 pm

Past master wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:41 pm
CRC@LandRover wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi Phutran,

I am concerned to learn of your comments.

Please can PM me your 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), the approved retailer that you have attended and your contact number.

Once I have received this information I would be happy to assist further.

Thanks,

Becci

Land Rover UK
Does this mean that CRC Land Rover UK are now happy to assist owners in Australia? I thought that this was not the case previously.
Hi Past Master,

I can confirm that we are only able to assist with vehicle concerns in the UK Market.

Any vehicle concerns within other markets will need to go through the Customer Experience Centre based in that market.

Thanks,
Becci – Land Rover

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”