Stop start not working

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
guthrie

Re: Stop start not working

Post by guthrie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:43 am

Mamil wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:53 am

Hi Guthrie, is your dealer Southern or Barbagallo?

Would be interested to hear what they say....
Barbagallo - will update in a month or so once Ive done the service.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:53 am

Mamil wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:24 pm
Barnsh wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:20 pm
Yep I still run with my voltmeter , it’s become a bit of a habit , but most of my runs are now in the dark with lights on , or with car heater etc which is extra load.
Next time I do a day time run I’ll give it a check and let you know what it does.

I haven’t paid too much attention since it was at the dealers, but Ill keep a close eye on it and report back.
That'd be interesting to know, thanks.

If yours went through a phase of constant voltage just after recalibration by JLR because of a new battery, but is now acting like a smart alternator again, then your theory that it might just be a temporary phase as part of the recalibration process would seem more plausible. At the same time I'll keep an eye on mine to see if it reverts to smart operation by itself.

Don't you just love that JLR driving experience - ears tuned for rattles and squeaks, eyes glued to the instant fuel economy readout to see if a regen is happening, and now a voltmeter on the centre console to see if the smart alternator is working :lol:
Yes it becomes a bit of a repetitive statement from JLR.

Diesel DPF .......it’s your driving style
Oil service ......it’s your driving style
Stop start not working ......it’s your driving style
Flat battery......it’s your driving style

Etc etc
45-60 mins to clear a DPF
30-60 mins to get your battery recondition cycle achieved , then charged enough for stop start.

Where in the above two items does fuel efficiency come into it?

Driving aimlessly around to keep the car working properly :roll:
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:07 am

So, my alternator output is still stubbornly staying at 14.2-14.4V, whereas the workshop manual (and I've had written confirmation from CRC as well) says it should vary between 12.3-14.8V during acceleration and deceleration.
Meanwhile, my dealer assures me that although they've been asked to do it by a number of customers, they aren't allowed to turn off the smart alternator function, and in fact don't think it can be done. So, looks like it may be a fault.
Car going back in a couple of weeks for them to look at :roll:
How's yours going Barnsh?
SE TD4, MY 2016.5, 110kw/150bhp 2.2 PSA Engine, Fuji White/Ebony, Oz towbar, xenon pack. Delivered 25th June 2016, Perth Western Australia.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:53 am

Mamil wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:07 am
So, my alternator output is still stubbornly staying at 14.2-14.4V, whereas the workshop manual (and I've had written confirmation from CRC as well) says it should vary between 12.3-14.8V during acceleration and deceleration.
Meanwhile, my dealer assures me that although they've been asked to do it by a number of customers, they aren't allowed to turn off the smart alternator function, and in fact don't think it can be done. So, looks like it may be a fault.
Mines now back to being smart !
I can only guess it was doing one of its “reconditioning cycles “ asked the dealer just now and he said in the colder months it takes a while to settle down , as long as it doesn’t stay their endlessly for weeks months , depending how far you drive, it will settle down.

Right enough I did a few over 100 mile journies and it all of a sudden it dropped back to 12.6, then braking 14.8 coasting 13.8 . So it’s back as was and looks like the dealers recondition just upset it for a few weeks. Maybe after recondition it sees it as fully charged then at some point goes through its .......flatten to 75% then recharge again to full cycle.

Certainly is weird but Im happy its back as was being smart as it does affect fuel consumption by about 4/5 mpg .

Stop start still working too ...,,annoyingly.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:10 am

Barnsh wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:53 am
Mamil wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:07 am
Mines now back to being smart !
I can only guess it was doing one of its “reconditioning cycles “ asked the dealer just now and he said in the colder months it takes a while to settle down , as long as it doesn’t stay their endlessly for weeks months , depending how far you drive, it will settle down.

Right enough I did a few over 100 mile journies and it all of a sudden it dropped back to 12.6, then braking 14.8 coasting 13.8 . So it’s back as was and looks like the dealers recondition just upset it for a few weeks. Maybe after recondition it sees it as fully charged then at some point goes through its .......flatten to 75% then recharge again to full cycle.

Certainly is weird but Im happy its back as was being smart as it does affect fuel consumption by about 4/5 mpg .

Stop start still working too ...,,annoyingly.
Hmmm, interesting! So it might go into a 'dumb' phase for as much as a few weeks after resetting, and then return itself to being smart again!
Well, maybe I'm being a bit impatient then, as it was only two weeks ago it was in for the service and I haven't driven it much since. It could well be going through it's cycle of flatten to 75% right now because stop/start was working for the first week, and now isn't so battery charge might be under the threshold.

Anyway, it's not going back to the dealer for another couple of weeks so I've got a while to see how it goes...

Thanks for the info.
SE TD4, MY 2016.5, 110kw/150bhp 2.2 PSA Engine, Fuji White/Ebony, Oz towbar, xenon pack. Delivered 25th June 2016, Perth Western Australia.

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:35 am

Sorry, another question Barnsh…
When pushed, the description my dealer gave of what they did to my vehicle this time was that they forced it into a re-calibration mode as if they'd replaced the battery, but without actually replacing it. Does that sound familiar - is that what they did to your F-Pace?
Thanks.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:50 am

Same thing , I think.

I have the workshop paperwork at home with the technical bumf and codes in it so will post that later.
But yes it was a full recondition cycle , I had my battery replaced in July , recondition cycle September ( earliest booking).
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:01 pm

Barnsh wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:50 am
Same thing , I think.

I have the workshop paperwork at home with the technical bumf and codes in it so will post that later.
But yes it was a full recondition cycle , I had my battery replaced in July , recondition cycle September ( earliest booking).
Ok, thanks. Sounds like we had the same thing done then, and gives me hope that mine also will return to smart operation by itself after a while. Does make me wonder why the dealer doesn't know about this weird side effect of what they've done though . Actually, on second thoughts, I'm not surprised at all, as they couldn't even tell me if my particular car had a smart alternator or not :roll:

Lolo85

Post by Lolo85 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:05 pm

My stop/start was only working, id say 15% of the time at most, Regardless of a/c, time spent driving etc.

So, car went in for new door card and I mentioned it to the dealership and they advised they put a software update on it for the auto stop/start.

it has been working beautifully since 😁. Hopefully it stays working.
15MY HSE 2.2

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 pm

Lolo85 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:05 pm
My stop/start was only working, id say 15% of the time at most, Regardless of a/c, time spent driving etc.

So, car went in for new door card and I mentioned it to the dealership and they advised they put a software update on it for the auto stop/start.

it has been working beautifully since 😁. Hopefully it stays working.
Hi Lolo85, could you ask them the number of the software update and post it here, thanks.

Return to “Faults & Technical”