Rusty brake discs & Calipers

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Iamthemanny

Re: Rusty brake discs & Calipers

Post by Iamthemanny » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:44 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:32 pm
They look OK, new version of discs installed on later cars.
Is it a new part number that they now use or same number, but better quality please? Just getting mine replaced on my 2017 high mileage DS
June 17 HSE, Loire Blue, Entertainment pack, In Control Connect Pro, 2 usb sockets in second row, black roof bars.
Extra optional extra included :lol: Oil dilution issues thrown in as "Good will" due to my "Driving style" :( :( :(

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:25 pm

Can’t say for sure, used to be part numbers were kept the same (otherwise all sorts of parts lists and systems need updating) and the issue number changed, but issue number is never used at the customer level.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

vaise

Post by vaise » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:18 am

Anyone have the print out of LBT00990V2 (only the original one is attached in here)
Thanks.
My17 Black Discovery Sport HSE 150. Cirrus leather. BSM/Rear traffic alert. Australian Spec. Built Feb 2017. Delivered May 1st.

kinell

Post by kinell » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:52 am

vaise wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:18 am
Anyone have the print out of LBT00990V2 (only the original one is attached in here)
Thanks.
From a previous post I made:

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=5942

John.T

Post by John.T » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:06 pm

kinell wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:52 am
vaise wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:18 am
Thanks.
From a previous post I made:

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=5942
Thank you for the PDF

Does anyone have the current version?

My local dealer is trying to tell me that it is outdated....?

My 17 plate (still in warranty till end of May) has only done 24,000 an it rear discs are very corroded.

ducatimally

Post by ducatimally » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:59 pm

Think I’ve posted on this thread in the past when I had issues with the chocolate rear discs and pads. Long story short, they were worn out at 27k and needed replacement, JLR wouldn’t stand on (despite the well documented issues) - got the usual “progressive braking and driving style” claptrap. Replaced with Brembos for about £120 (stealer wanted £550).

So update from a few weeks back - pads needed replacing at about 52k, however discs are fine. I changed the fronts (pads) at the same time as a matter of course, however there was still life in them.

Moral of the story......

1. Progressive braking sounds correct (tears kick in 1st)
2. The original discs weren’t up to spec and IMO should’ve been warranty or recall replacements

Hope the update is helpful.....
DS 2.0 TDi SE Tech, Corris Grey, MY16 - soon to be gone thanks to appalling "aftercare"

41jules1967

Post by 41jules1967 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:29 am

It's interesting to read these post as they actually contradict each other. There seems to be 2 separate concerns.
One talks about disks worn out prematurely - whilst the other relates to download/file.php?id=5942 which is actually caused by the rear brakes not being used enough.

In the case of the latter, it's clear they're doing a pacification exercise and the issue will return as the root cause from their perspective is perfectly normal. Rear brakes simply aren't used much unless harder braking force is applied, presumably light braking people therefore suffer. I also assume the issue is far more prevalent with older drivers on manual cars (older drivers tend to use the engine brake whereas younger drivers are taught to coast and brake). With limited engine braking on autos, brakes get far more of a work out.

For premature wear, disks should last 2 sets of pads. How many miles that is will depend entirely on how and where the car is driven. Does it brake down steep hills daily, does it tow, does it do a lot of stop-start, does it sit for hundreds of miles on a motorway? Far too many variables to judge on mileage so the only thing you can judge on is sets of pads.
2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux 7 seat & spare wheel - (DIY Fitted Towbar, Mudflaps, Wireless charging pad, Side Steps )
2012 Jaguar XF-S Premium Luxury
Previous - Mercedes (Various C & E Classes), 2 x Freelander2's

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:40 am

Rear pads will always wear quicker than fronts on any Land Rover from circa 2006.

Driven sensibly, discs should last at least 60k. So should a set of front pads. Rear pads however generally need replacing around the 40k mark. This data is provided from a 3 month rapid ageing test carried out in 2014, and compared with a Freelander 2 14MY. Both vehicles used the same pads/discs on test.

41jules1967

Post by 41jules1967 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:05 am

SarahStreet wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:40 am
Rear pads will always wear quicker than fronts on any Land Rover from circa 2006.

Driven sensibly, discs should last at least 60k. So should a set of front pads. Rear pads however generally need replacing around the 40k mark. This data is provided from a 3 month rapid ageing test carried out in 2014, and compared with a Freelander 2 14MY. Both vehicles used the same pads/discs on test.
In my experience, one set of disks will see out 2 sets of pads. This has been true for every car I've owned since asbestos was banned in brake pads and disks started to wear. That said, I'd be delighted to see 60k from a set of pads so if I needed to replace both for the first time at 60k, I'd still be quite happy. I suspect the test is based on 'average' use, which of course is very subjective. Real world will always be different.

I concur on the rear wear. JLR do seem to have more of a rear bias on their braking compared to many other manufacturers. I know it catches many Jaguar owners out when they find their rear pads worn out, when their previous BMW had lasted years. Allegedly it's to reduce front dive on hard braking. Seems to work quite well on the few occasions I've had to haul the Jag to an urgent stop.
What is odd however is the download/file.php?id=5942 bulletin, which states the cause is a "lower work rate on the rear due to rear brake pressure split", implying that the car isn't biasing towards the rear as much as intended. It goes on to discuss replacing the disks and pads, which will work temporarily but if the bias is not adjusted (not mentioned , then the problem will simply recurr.
2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux 7 seat & spare wheel - (DIY Fitted Towbar, Mudflaps, Wireless charging pad, Side Steps )
2012 Jaguar XF-S Premium Luxury
Previous - Mercedes (Various C & E Classes), 2 x Freelander2's

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:46 am

The rear pads are a different thickness to the fronts. There is no way to recalibrate the braking split, only the EPB can be modified by SDD.

Contrary to the initial "cause" identified in the TSB issued 4 years ago, it was subsequently found that both the discs and pads fitted to the rear were of inferior quality and the supplier changed. The duff ones ended up in the main on eBay, sold as genuine, which they were, but still of inferior quality. Where's there's muck, there's brass, as the old saying goes.....