Delays in deliveries - October 2020

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Paul41

Re: Delays in deliveries - October 2020

Post by Paul41 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:18 pm

Hey Simon that sounds quite impressive especially in hybrid mode, could you just let me know the answers to a couple of questions pls , What did you think on handling/suspension/ride when considering the extra weight of the batteries etc? (especially on the twisty bits) Also how did the engine feel/cope under the three different running modes & what’s the overall refinement like at speed (road/engine noise etc on 20” wheels). I’ve got to make my mind up in the next two days whether to go ahead or cancel my order so your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Paul

Ps, add your signature as wondering what colour you went for etc
HSE MY17 Corris/black roof/privacy glass/HUD/blind spot monitor-reverse traffic detect/surround cameras/wade sensing/ACC/ towbar/full size spare/Adaptive dynamics/Entertainment pack/incontrol pro/Mem seats/ATPC/Heated steering wheel/service pack/Gtechniq

clembo

Post by clembo » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:36 am

Hi Simon, I have just ordered the DS PHEV via my fleet department. Ordered late Sept - Delivery not expected till March 21. I currently have the BMW 530e PHEV which is a great piece of engineering but have had mixed responses using the BMW app. Plus being a saloon the boot space is quite small for a family of four. Mileage is on average 20 miles which is ok and did consider the X3 PHEV but noted the battery capacity was less. Having a 30 mile range will be a big bonus! Looking forward to hearing further updates!
DS PHEV R-Dynamic HSE - Ordered late Sept 20 - Expected delivery March 21
Carpathian Grey

simon_hill

Post by simon_hill » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:50 am

Paul41 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:18 pm
Hey Simon that sounds quite impressive especially in hybrid mode, could you just let me know the answers to a couple of questions pls , What did you think on handling/suspension/ride when considering the extra weight of the batteries etc? (especially on the twisty bits) Also how did the engine feel/cope under the three different running modes & what’s the overall refinement like at speed (road/engine noise etc on 20” wheels). I’ve got to make my mind up in the next two days whether to go ahead or cancel my order so your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Paul

Ps, add your signature as wondering what colour you went for etc
Hi Paul. I'm far from an expert (and remember I've only done about 200-250 miles thus far!), but up to now I'm very pleased with the handling/suspension/ride. For a capable off-road, high SUV, the handling is very impressive. The ride is excellent - speed bumps are almost unnoticeable, and uneven surfaces are handled well. I live in the countryside where nearly all roads are twisty and up & down - it feels very at home there. And there isn't as much extra weight from the batteries as you'd expect as the engine & gearbox are both a lot lighter. Also there's no prop shaft down the centre. So it doesn't feel any heavier than the 2020-year MHEV (which I had), even though it IS a little heavier.

Moving between EV/Hybrid/Save modes is seamless. Really very, very impressive. Passengers have no idea unless they look at the fancy graphics. What I've felt is that I'm quite happy with the EV acceleration in 99% of situations. When you have to accelerate hard past a bus or something, the petrol engine kicks in fast for those few seconds (but doesn't sound unpleasant). The very few reviews I've read say the Disco Sport PHEV is noisier than the Evoque PHEV. Well all I can say is that the Evoque must be silent, as I'm very pleased with the lack of noise inside. Unless you floor the accelerator the engine noise is near to non-existent.

Downsides? The real EV-only range is only around 30 miles. Obviously this was originally advertised as 38, before being revised to 34 more recently. But if your daily commute/shopping trip is 30 miles or just a bit over that (like me), then you're laughing.

So, bearing in mind I'm not a professional car reviewer, and that I've only driven 200+ miles thus far, I'm delighted with it.

Does that answer your questions Paul?

PS I went for the free colour - Fuji White. I like it anyway and will take the vehicle to Spain every so often, where cars get baked if dark.
Land Rover owner since a Defender 90 in the 1980s. Series of Discoverys, until downsizing to Discovery Sport in 2015. Disco Sport R-Dynamic S p300e (PHEV) arrived late Oct 2020. Solid Fuji white with very few extras (e.g. powered tailgate).

Paul41

Post by Paul41 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:24 pm

Hey Simon that’s great, keep us all posted as the miles roll up. Did you really mean 125mpg is achievable in hybrid mode as that sounds outstanding!
HSE MY17 Corris/black roof/privacy glass/HUD/blind spot monitor-reverse traffic detect/surround cameras/wade sensing/ACC/ towbar/full size spare/Adaptive dynamics/Entertainment pack/incontrol pro/Mem seats/ATPC/Heated steering wheel/service pack/Gtechniq

simon_hill

Post by simon_hill » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:38 pm

Paul41 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:24 pm
Hey Simon that’s great, keep us all posted as the miles roll up. Did you really mean 125mpg is achievable in hybrid mode as that sounds outstanding!
The mpg for the hybrid mode is somewhat meaningless. If I do a 30 mile journey in hybrid mode and I set off with a full battery (range 30 miles) it will get there having used no, or almost no, petrol. This is close to infinity mpg! If I do a 60 mile journey it will probably flatten the battery and use about 3/4 gallon of petrol. That'll be about 80 mpg. (My arithmetic might be off!). A thousand mile journey will flatten the battery and use a lot of petrol. I suspect it'll get about 40 mpg at most.

So these huge figures for mpg ARE real & achievable IF your journey is not much more than the battery range. My typical usage of the PHEV will be 20-35 miles a day. So my mpg will be between ∞ and a hundred and something. This is possible because my main 'fuel' cost will now be electricity (which is a lot cheaper for me).

That make sense?
Land Rover owner since a Defender 90 in the 1980s. Series of Discoverys, until downsizing to Discovery Sport in 2015. Disco Sport R-Dynamic S p300e (PHEV) arrived late Oct 2020. Solid Fuji white with very few extras (e.g. powered tailgate).

Paul41

Post by Paul41 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:08 pm

Yes totally understand, it will be interesting as time & miles increase as well as the engine loosening up, do you have the 20” wheels or the 18”s ?

simon_hill

Post by simon_hill » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:49 pm

Paul41 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:08 pm
Yes totally understand, it will be interesting as time & miles increase as well as the engine loosening up, do you have the 20” wheels or the 18”s ?
I have the 18" wheels.

wbaguesty

Post by wbaguesty » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:35 am

simon_hill wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:49 pm
Paul41 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:08 pm
I have the 18" wheels.
Very jealous. Awaiting mine on delivery. You have any pics?

jgrewal

Post by jgrewal » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:48 am

Hi All,

Picked up my P300e last Friday so thought I would leave a few comments on my views so far.

The Good:

- Space for us moving from a german saloon to this is a game changer with 2 small kids
- The car has great presence its obviously not Range Rover but they have tried made it feel like one with the R-Dynamic styling
- Moving between EV, ICE and Hybrid is seamless and works perfectly and the car is really smooth to drive with the 1.5 litre doing a nice job pulling such a heavy load when needed to

The Bad:

- Infotainment is actually beyond awful - I am gutted to have missed on PiviPro (lucky i can get around this with Apple CarPlay)
- Charging software or process isn't very intuitive doesn't seem to be any instructions or control beyond plug it in
- The actual range of EV (stated to be 32 when fully charged) is probably more like 18-20. This is obviously dependant on driving style and conditions. However, this works fine for us to do the local nursery drop and shopping run as a family car. One charge a week will cover me for £2.50ish.

I will possibly move my Octopus energy to the Agile tariff with my ohme intelligent charger which will mean I can charge in the night and be paid to use the the surplus on the grid.

Overall we're happy one week in so lets hope the reliability holds up because the horror stories of Land Rover worry me still :)

seatsl

Post by seatsl » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:02 pm

jgrewal wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:48 am
- The actual range of EV (stated to be 32 when fully charged) is probably more like 18-20. This is obviously dependant on driving style and conditions.
I think that they are on record (investors presentation?) as saying that the DS can achieve "up to 27 miles" on a fully charged battery. Maybe if you put 4 bar in the tyres, picked the right piece of road and drove it with bare feet that might be achievable.

Thank you for this information in any case, if is extremely helpful to someone sat on the sidelines. For those who aren't following it closely, Ford has announced it is going to replace all the batteries in the Kuga/Escape PHEV !
Volvo XC60 B5 (Petrol) AWD R-Design 2.0 5dr
Gone - Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi Zetec AWD