Recommendations for Audio upgrade please

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
DiscoSportHSE

Recommendations for Audio upgrade please

Post by DiscoSportHSE » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:02 pm

Hi,
Being an audio engineer, I was soooo dissapointed to move from my Freelander2 Alpine surround system to a DS-HSE Meridian system last year. From the best ICE I had owned to the worst... I have avoided playing music in the car for the last year and only listen to radio 4 with the bass turned right down to be able to make the words intelligible. - As I am sure others have found the same, can people please advise of ICE companies out there which do a good job of upgrading this? - I am in the Surrey/Hants area.
Modern cars could have great HiFi systems in them, but it seems that this is not considered a priority for manufacturers and they are happy to use designer badges and advertising rather than substance in their cars... :o/ Is there a manufacturer out there who is better? - Audi presumably? - No left-leg space on German cars though... - unless you go down-market to the VW-Up level which has loads! - Car Manufacturers! - Go figure!...

41jules1967

Re: Recommendations for Audio upgrade please

Post by 41jules1967 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:26 am

Goes to show - we also recently went from a Frelander2 surround to the DS Meridian and to be honest we're very happy with the sound quality though of course our ears aren't as well trained as yours. But I can't say anything is unintelligible and I'd still say it's a better sounding system that the one in my XF - which is also perfectly acceptable. Are you certain there isn't a fault on yours?
2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux 7 seat & spare wheel - (DIY Fitted Towbar, Mudflaps, Wireless charging pad, Side Steps )
2012 Jaguar XF-S Premium Luxury
Previous - Mercedes (Various C & E Classes), 2 x Freelander2's

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 am

^^^ This.

I was just about to post the same thing, if it's that bad there's something wrong with it.

I assume you mean the lower (380W / 11 speaker) Meridian InControl Touch system as standard on HSE, not the 825W / 16 speaker system of InControl Touch Pro. Though doesn't really matter which.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Canuk

Post by Canuk » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:17 pm

DiscoSportHSE wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:02 pm
Hi,
Being an audio engineer, I was soooo dissapointed to move from my Freelander2 Alpine surround system to a DS-HSE Meridian system last year. From the best ICE I had owned to the worst... I have avoided playing music in the car for the last year and only listen to radio 4 with the bass turned right down to be able to make the words intelligible. - As I am sure others have found the same, can people please advise of ICE companies out there which do a good job of upgrading this? - I am in the Surrey/Hants area.
Modern cars could have great HiFi systems in them, but it seems that this is not considered a priority for manufacturers and they are happy to use designer badges and advertising rather than substance in their cars... :o/ Is there a manufacturer out there who is better? - Audi presumably? - No left-leg space on German cars though... - unless you go down-market to the VW-Up level which has loads! - Car Manufacturers! - Go figure!...
Did you not notice it on your long test drive??
Blue Disco 2016
2 litre turbo petrol
5 seater

RPR

Post by RPR » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:43 pm

Apart fro mthe ongoing artwork issue and the rare occasional door rattle which I will get round to some day I've got no complaints with the system in my vehicle. I have got the top version though.

What exactly are you wanting to resolve? Overblown bass, lack of volume?
MY18 Indus Silver HSE Black Edition 2.0 TD4 180 ICTP 825w Meridian Audio, Hi Res audio

Trickett20

Post by Trickett20 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm

I have made a few posts on this forum RE Audio.

I have the 825w system and I have had the car back into LAndrover 4 or 5 times now to try sort out the horrible door vibrations. I almost gave up and accepted it would be rubbish but persisted. The bass had to be way down for it so sound acceptable.

Thankfully this last time i have seen an improvement. The Technician replaced the door clips on 3 doors and put felt between the contact points inside the door and it is 10x better. I hear a few door bangs every now and again but Streaming mp3 are not best quality so could be part of the problem. I can now push the subwoofer up to 75% and have a good experience with it!

Definitely worth the time to try sort but they will fob you off a few times with a door bolt tightening here or there.

RPR

Post by RPR » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:45 pm

Trickett20 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm
I have made a few posts on this forum RE Audio.

I have the 825w system and I have had the car back into LAndrover 4 or 5 times now to try sort out the horrible door vibrations. I almost gave up and accepted it would be rubbish but persisted. The bass had to be way down for it so sound acceptable.

Thankfully this last time i have seen an improvement. The Technician replaced the door clips on 3 doors and put felt between the contact points inside the door and it is 10x better. I hear a few door bangs every now and again but Streaming mp3 are not best quality so could be part of the problem. I can now push the subwoofer up to 75% and have a good experience with it!

Definitely worth the time to try sort but they will fob you off a few times with a door bolt tightening here or there.
I've got the bass & subwoofer turned up and as I said most of the time no vibration issues. I do tend to play FLAC/Hi Res audio files
MY18 Indus Silver HSE Black Edition 2.0 TD4 180 ICTP 825w Meridian Audio, Hi Res audio

Trickett20

Post by Trickett20 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:18 am

Hi REs Audio does make a difference for sure!

If i now play the same song on Spotify vs Tidal It is substantially different.

I am using Carplay to send both from an Iphone which does not support Complete Full Res but Tidal does allow the to Iphone to max out its potential more than spotify. Enough to notice a difference.