Not driving for 5-6 weeks, how to make sure battery survives

All Discovery Sport related discussions
snowmanx95

Not driving for 5-6 weeks, how to make sure battery survives

Post by snowmanx95 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:43 am

I won't be driving the DS for ~5-6 weeks, what can I do to make sure the battery survives this. Any thoughts / suggestions? I was thinking about disconnecting the battery, but worried this might cause some problems.
2018 DS HSE Firenze Red 237hp

PedroT

Re: Not driving for 5-6 weeks, how to make sure battery survives

Post by PedroT » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:43 am

If you are able start the car weekly and bring up to temperature. I wouldn’t be too concerned if only 5-6 weeks, like being away for a longish holiday.
Lots of advice on here on battery care.
New 2020 S 150d with a few extras, kept just below £40k to reduce tax.
MY16 SE Plus Pano Roof Rev camera removable tow bar. Prev. Kia Sportage

roadster

Post by roadster » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:21 am

... and most of the advice on the forum suggests that you get a charger that is "smart" enough to be connected without disconnecting the battery from the car. Disconnecting the battery can cause all kinds of misery if the cars so called intelligence gets confused. Running the engine for a short time is a poor solution because the battery needs charging for some hours even at a reasonably high charging rate, and its also not particularly good to leave an engine idling, especially if its a diesel.
RAV 4 Hybrid convert
Now gone::2018 MY Diesel auto 180 SE tech

Unclemort54

Post by Unclemort54 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:07 am

Some good information here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11163#p113573

From my own experience:
In the past, the longest I’ve left the vehicle without any attention is four to five weeks and I do remember seeing the ‘start engine battery low’ warning. However, the engine started without issue and I had no further warnings following a reasonable journey of around 30 miles I think.

Since a couple of weeks before lockdown, which is when I more or less stopped using the DS, I’ve charged the battery with a Ctek mxs7 charger on a weekly basis. I’ve Also started the engine, but only for a couple of minutes on a two weekly rota. Also, due to the lengthy lockdown I’ve been moving the vehicle approximately one eighth of a wheel turn to prevent flat spots on a two weekly cycle, however, that won’t effect your situation of only four to five weeks.
Took the vehicle out last week for the first time since lock down (30miles) - no issues.

Other useful info:
The weekly charge took two hours.
If the engine had been started, the weekly charge took three to three and a half hours.
MY16 DS HSE 180 auto, Corris grey, HD Towing Pack (EDT and five seats), 20" style 511, privacy glass, silver roof rails, AFS xenon lights, 5yr SP.

worrasf

Post by worrasf » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:56 am

My two penneth after many years experience with Jaguar and latterly LR "battery eating" electronics.

These cars are incredibly sensitive to even small reductions in battery voltage - they need to be at 12.4 12.6 volts for correct functioning.
This is not a fault or a new issue my 2001 Jag XKR has suffered from this from new - you just have to accept it and act appropriately.

Get a CTEK Stop/Start charger and connect the courtesy leads to battery + and vehicle ground point (not battery -) and leave them permanently connected for ease of use.

If the car is not going to be used for several weeks just connect it and leave it connected until you need it. No sense in disconnecting after an arbitrary period of time. The CTEK units are designed for long term connection without any battery damage.
During the winter layup the CTEK on my XKR is connected for several months and I have never had an issue - car always starts first time in the spring and all the electronics function correctly.

Starting the car for a few minutes to "get warm" is not a good idea. It never gets sufficiently hot to drive out condensation/moisture from the exhaust system and increases the risk of premature corrosion. Idling the autobox without load is also not a good idea.

There are numerous threads about this on this forum if you search and/or pop over to the Jaguar Forum where this topic is done to death https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/
MY 17 DS HSE Black
2001 Jaguar XKR
1994 Mazda Eunos 1.8 Roadster VSpec

West Yorkshire - UK

snowmanx95

Post by snowmanx95 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:06 pm

Great thanks for all the info. Unfortunately I won't be able to start the car weekly as I'll be away from it. I previously left the car for 3-4 weeks and it was not a problem at all, however this year I need to be away longer and during the covid crisis I didn't drive the car much and the car complained a couple of times with the low battery message.

Looks like the best option is the CTEK charger at this moment. BTW what is the reason to connect the charger to car ground and not the batter negative terminal?

worrasf

Post by worrasf » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:19 pm

snowmanx95 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:06 pm
BTW what is the reason to connect the charger to car ground and not the batter negative terminal?
If you connect to the battery negative there is a high probability of messing up the battery management system (BMS) resulting in the car not sensing the correct battery charge/state. The relevant instructions come with the CTEK and only apply to vehicles with BMS's.
MY 17 DS HSE Black
2001 Jaguar XKR
1994 Mazda Eunos 1.8 Roadster VSpec

West Yorkshire - UK

snowmanx95

Post by snowmanx95 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:58 am

Get a CTEK Stop/Start charger and connect the courtesy leads to battery + and vehicle ground point (not battery -) and leave them permanently connected for ease of use.
So CTEK 5.0 arrived today, but unfortunately the distance between the positive and negative clamps is too short to connect it to a batter positive terminal and the ground in the DS, which is on the other side of the engine bay. How did you guys solve this? Is there any other ground point I might possibly use?

Lurcher

Post by Lurcher » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:14 am

Connect the negative on mine to a bolt head on the bulkhead directly behind the battery .
2020 SE Auto 180 Firenze Solid Roof Privacy Glass

Burnerg81

Post by Burnerg81 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:19 am

Plenty of options here. You just need to separate the wires a bit.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10648