Recomendation Indie Garage

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
nmjeria

Recomendation Indie Garage

Post by nmjeria » Sat May 23, 2020 10:40 am

Can anyone recommend a good independent garage for an oil service around the London area, is Halfords any good? Spoke with dealer and they quoted close to £300. My 4th year service is also due in 7 months so don't want to fork out too much at this point. thx
---------------------------------------------------------
My17 indus silver HSE 19" rims 66 plate

SarahStreet

Re: Recomendation Indie Garage

Post by SarahStreet » Sat May 23, 2020 8:27 pm

The problem that you are going to have, is that the oil required that is approved to JLR standard, is only available via Retailers and Approved Independents (of which there are only a handful left).

Halfords/National/ATS etc will happily do it for circa £100 but they won't be using the correct oil, and will not be able to reset your oil service counter, as they wont have the necessary relevant diagnostic equipment.

As you have a 17MY, any interim oil changes are covered under warranty to 55,000 miles by JLR, irrespective of being out of warranty or not.

And further, a 4 year/Main B service on a vehicle of this age will not cost you more than £415 inclusive of VAT under the 3+ scheme. Don't let a retailer tell you otherwise.

nmjeria

Post by nmjeria » Sun May 24, 2020 12:16 am

Thank you Sarah Street for this useful information.

Is this information noted down anywhere so I can take to my dealer as they seem to be playing hardball.
I didn't want to pay £300 now and then have to fork out another £400 in 6-7 months for my 4 year service.
My last service was in feb 2019 and although my service counter still has 3000 miles untill I'm notified to do an interim oil service. Sadly not many dealers are open presently.
My concern is leaving oil in the engine for that length of time.

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Sun May 24, 2020 8:37 am

For the goodwil oil change, simply advise that you have a 17MY, and quote JLRP00100. If they won't play ball, find another retailer.

With regards 3+ Servicing prices, please see table below:

image.png

nmjeria

Post by nmjeria » Sun May 24, 2020 2:55 pm

Will certainly try this...thanks again...

Stroh

Post by Stroh » Mon May 25, 2020 6:15 pm

What is the 3+ Service and Maintenance? Is this a UK only thing or is it available in the US as well?
2020 DS P250 SE, Fuji White, Acorn Windsor Leather Heated and Cooled Seats, Premium Interior Upgrade Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Meridian Surround Sound System with Sirius XM Satellite Radio, Black Exterior Pack, Technology Pack, Natural Shadow Oak Veneer!

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Mon May 25, 2020 6:25 pm

UK Markets only I'm afraid Stroh.

I believe that the US Market has something called Maintenance Plus Plan - you will need to check with your authorised (authorized) Retailer for details and costs specific to your vehicle.

Canuk

Post by Canuk » Tue May 26, 2020 5:42 pm

Looking at my manual no where does it say you have to use land rover approved oil, it does recommend it . Oil requirements are to use , in the gas engine, a high quality synthetic meeting A5/B5 specs. I am using at present Motul oil that meets the Land Rover specs. Car runs better as well, or seems to :roll:

Nice to see that Land Rover has made it harder to reset the service light with software updates but the same team struggles to make other software changes.
Blue Disco 2016
2 litre turbo petrol
5 seater

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Tue May 26, 2020 6:26 pm

But we are not talking about a petrol engine here - this is in reference to a diesel D180. As you are undoubtedly aware, the Diesel Ingenium is more sensitive than a butterfly, and the only oils approved by JLR are manufactured by Castrol or Shell. (And finally, more recently, Comma)

Should the worst happen and the engine goes bang, you can kiss goodbye to any goodwill gesture if you haven't used an oil that meets JLR specification. STJLR.03.5007

And believe me, when it comes to a warranty claim on an engine, they will examine EVERYTHING, in order to avoid paying out.

41jules1967

Post by 41jules1967 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:13 am

I am paranoid about oil but I use a local 'backstreet' garage for all my servicing.
Rather than leave it to chance, I buy the oil myself and deliver that with the car to the garage and they just charge me for the parts they do buy and the labour. Rarely comes to more than £100 and I get the left over oil back to use next time.

I use Opie oils https://www.opieoils.co.uk/ as they're reasonable, reputable and mail it out in a couple of days, but even Halfords will sell you the correct 'approved' oil over the counter.
After that, any idiot can do a regular service, you really don't need a main dealer.