New car damaged

All Discovery Sport related discussions
marcusp

New car damaged

Post by marcusp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:55 pm

I took delivery of my brand new r dynamic p250 today in narvik black and due to the current virus issue the dealer delivered it to my address.
On examining it I have found a deep scratch down to the basecoat on the nearside wing under the mesh panel insert and also the nearside rear plastic strut has a 2” crack in it.
To say im gutted is an understatement having waited so long for it. The dealer has taken a photograph of the damage and has stated they will have the vehicle back in to the work shop to put it right however the workshop is closing down tomorrow due to the virus so cant give me any estimated date or how it will be rectified.

What would you be asking of the dealer as its my first ever brand new car and ive never been through this before.
I have sold my previous vehicle now so dont really want to be without a car for weeks but would you be happy with the dealer repairing it or should I just refuse the vehicle. The issue is especially with the factory closing I would probably be without a car for months.

marcusp

Re: New car damaged

Post by marcusp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:59 pm

Ive attached some pics of the damage

5E076B75-D124-41C4-910F-282768A53D74.jpeg

F2B844B1-60BC-4CAA-8F3A-F44F9B97EB40.jpeg

8E63F4CF-9A27-4133-B5E9-5C4BC27E066F.jpeg

F2B844B1-60BC-4CAA-8F3A-F44F9B97EB40.jpeg

4 on the floor

Post by 4 on the floor » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:22 pm

That’s a very poor standard from the dealer. Am guessing they pushed it out before they closed and they either new about it beforehand or did not carry out the PDI. Either way you have the car, it is only cosmetic, (cars are occasionally damaged in transit, some manufacturers worse than others) Have them repair it to your satisfaction when they reopen and supply you with a car whilst they undertake the work. Also suggest a suitable compensatory gesture should be given for such shoddy service. Even in these extreme times they should have made this a better experience for you and advised you of the fault beforehand, you could have then chosen to accept or delay the delivery.

County

Post by County » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:05 am

4 on the floor wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:22 pm
That’s a very poor standard from the dealer. Am guessing they pushed it out before they closed and they either new about it beforehand or did not carry out the PDI. Either way you have the car, it is only cosmetic, (cars are occasionally damaged in transit, some manufacturers worse than others) Have them repair it to your satisfaction when they reopen and supply you with a car whilst they undertake the work. Also suggest a suitable compensatory gesture should be given for such shoddy service. Even in these extreme times they should have made this a better experience for you and advised you of the fault beforehand, you could have then chosen to accept or delay the delivery.
:o Totally agree with the comments made, very poor service, name and shame the dealer.
:D B 1984 RR Vouge, Then BMW. Back to LR, H 1991 Disco 1, L 1993 Disco, N 1996 Disco, Y 2001 Disco, 53 Disco 2, 56 Disco 3
MY10 FL2 TD4 XS [Nav], MY13 FL2 TD4 GS Auto
MY15 DS SE Tech Auto Firenze Red 2.2 FL engine!

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 am

Disappointing to see yet another retailer pushing out a vehicle that clearly hasn't been properly PDI'd.

The Salesman was clearly thinking only of his Q1 commission and bonus, and wasn't interested in ensuring that the vehicle was prepp'd to nominal JLR handover standards. If you would like to PM me with a valid email address, I will happily send you a copy of what these standards are, so that you can take issue with the retailer higher up should you need to.

Please don't be fobbed off with waffle from the retailer - most, if not all workshops are open albeit with a reduced workforce during this pandemic, with priority servicing and repair work being given to front line and NHS Workers. I would suggest that you instruct the retailer that the vehicle is ready for collection today, and that you require onward mobility arrangements to be made immediately. Further, give them no longer than 14 days to bring the vehicle up to standard and returned to you, or you will formally reject it, as per your statutory rights. Looking at your second picture under the sunlight, the vehicle could do with a full MOP, and that is the least that they can fund given the situation.

What I suspect is happening here is that they are using the COVID-19 situation as an excuse to time you out of automatic rejection at 28 days. Be firm and tell them that you will not accept this moving forward.
Last edited by SarahStreet on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:33 am

That level of prep is appalling - not withstanding the issues listed the paintwork looks to be heavily swirled too - absolutely rushed job, poor washing and poor showroom prep. I'd be asking for it to be fully polished and mirror finish before accepting the vehicle back. The side vent cover also looks to have something on it in the photo too, maybe you've blanked out a reflection, but it could be bird poop etching ?
MY19 Landmark - Narvik Black, Traffic Sign Recognition, Reduced Spare Wheel, Alloy Pedals

marcusp

Post by marcusp » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:37 pm

Thanks for everyones help and advice. Had no contact from the dealer today so I will give it until Monday and then do as suggested via email. Ill keep you updated

PaulCP

Post by PaulCP » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:55 pm

Don’t wait for the dealer to contact you. Sending the car out like they have shows that they only have contempt for their customers.
If the showroom closes due to the current National situation you may want to place them on notice by email so as not to affect your rights
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

marcusp

Post by marcusp » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:05 pm

Think i will escalate it monday otherwise Im going to refuse the car

s5156

Post by s5156 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:22 pm

Hi, just my 2 bob's worth as well...

I have to say what a disgraceful delivery for process... the dealer is about making money, commissions etc. They really don't care about the piece of metal they have sold you! Now it's your problem to get them to fix it.

DON"T WAIT TILL MONDAY!

Start the process NOW via email (with a return email receipt and open receipt) about what you want and expect them to do e.g. Follow the advice of others re the 14 days, replacement use of another car, complete "make over" of vehicle finish etc. Use the supplied doc about their levels of delivery standards as well, it should be what they have to do after all.

This email should also say what you intend to do.. deliver the car to them by a certain time for them to proceed with their "repairs" use this word as it's true, they have to repair it! I would also suggest you keep a "diary" of ALL conversations (Names, time, date and what was said) I in fact recorded calls and made it clear I was doing it with whoever I spoke to (this was recorded as well to ensure it was done).

DON"T be rude but be very clear about expectations, be reasonable about time frames etc. You may need this email as evidence that you did everything in your power to get it resolved quickly and to everyone's satisfaction, and it would include time and date sent (this may be crucial and of use to you). It's called ammunition and you may need it if you want to reject.

I'm not trying to frighten you, but it took about 1.5 years for me to reject 2 x DS vehicles (both had the same problem and it was 2 separate reject processes, 1st took 1.3 years, 2nd took 7 weeks), the only thing I had on my side was a well documented case otherwise I would have been treated like crap! It cost me nothing but a bit of time to detail everything, keep a diary and prepare my case. I got a full refund of all money.. I mean FULL, no discounts for travel, use, wear and tear etc.

Consider a few things here... It's your hard earned money that bought the car, they are doing you no favours (it's their job to sell cars not make friends with buyers), you're the one that now has to follow it up (they don't care - it's a piece of metal).....

Send an email NOW (timing is everything even though you may not think that) then follow up with whatever you say you're going to do...

Cheers and good luck.
s5156
Australia
1st DS - HSE SD4 2.2D, B-Pillar Rattle - Rejected: July 2017
2nd DS - HSE TD4 180, B-Pillar Rattle - Rejected: October 2017
2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription D4, 8Sp Auto, Pine Grey, Bowers & Wilkins, Air suspension. Napa Leather
What a change!