Oil dilution and dpf

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Thursday_next

Oil dilution and dpf

Post by Thursday_next » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:46 pm

Hi

I have mostly enjoyed my MY17 but it have been hampered with DPF problems and oil dilution. It is currently in the garage for, yet another, investigation. My main concern is that it will be out of warranty in less than 3 months. I bought the car (or so I thought) as a good outlay to last at least 5 or 6 years (as with all my previous cars). I would have never paid so much for a car to keep it for such a short amount of time - the depreciation is just too much.

To give a bit of background. I bought the car from a Landrover main dealer when it was 8 months old and with 5,500 miles on the clock. I bought the car outright and not on finance. I do a fair mix of town and motorway driving. We live within 1/2 mile of a motorway junction and most weekends I travel a fair distance on the motorway to my teaching venues. Since I have had the car, every few weeks the amber light will turn on - I immediately zip up the motorway and the filter re-gen takes place, but this has lead to oil dilution and every 8,000 miles (or so) the car is asking for a service :-(

I once had a situation (the car thankfully was already booked in for service otherwise *apparently* it would not have been covered by warranty) where the DPF warning light turned amber and in the 2 miles it took to drive towards the motorway from my son's school it turned to red - this meant a very stressful situation of having to be recovered by Landrover assist with a young child in the car. What a crazy situation to get less than a 2 mile warning. I have always had my "trips" enabled in my landrover app, so this could easily be verified by them if needed.

The car has been to the garage so many times over the 2 years I have owned it :-( and it has clearly never been "fixed". I am wondering if the car ever goes into an automatic regeneration? I believe that it tries to re-gen after a prescribed number of miles, rather than when it gets hot enough. The latest "amber" warning light came on one day after a trip 200 miles down the motorway - there surely must be something wrong that it is not going into an automatic regeneration?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I really do not want to change my car so early (it has done exactly 30,000 miles) unless I feel utterly forced to do so.

I love so many aspects of the car but I am highly concerned that these issues will become a real financial concern when the warranty has finishes at the beginning of April.

Thank you :-)

ThursdayNext
2017 TD4 Pure, (2.0 150 Ingenium), Fuji White, Black half-leather

PedroT

Re: Oil dilution and dpf

Post by PedroT » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:38 pm

I’d advise taking on the full Landrover extended warranty, expensive at about £80 per month but you won’t want to be without it!
MY16 SE Plus Pano Roof Rev camera removable tow bar. Prev. Kia Sportage

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:35 pm

^^ as above.

Thursday_next

Post by Thursday_next » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:21 pm

Thanks both - just feels highly frustrating to have bought a new car to negate any financial issues in the medium to long-term. £80 is quite expensive but I agree, better than the worries I have about keeping the car at the moment.
2017 TD4 Pure, (2.0 150 Ingenium), Fuji White, Black half-leather

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 pm

Definitely warranty if your keeping it.
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Gilfishman

Post by Gilfishman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:25 pm

Has there been any changes to addressing these problems with the latest 2020 revised models?

Past master

Post by Past master » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:11 pm

The engine is the same. My Evoque seems to have a lot more lagging around the exhaust, which may help the problem. As regards dilution, my car has done 15500 miles and is asking for an oil change in either 700 or 4000 miles depending which indicator I look at (see another thread about this). As before, I see no problem if you change the oil half way between services, as I intend to do, and assuming you do a reasonable mileage - if you only do short journeys don't buy a diesel. ANY diesel.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black
Now replaced with MY19 D180 Evoque S (new shape)

Rediscovery

Post by Rediscovery » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:00 pm

Gilfishman wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:25 pm
Has there been any changes to addressing these problems with the latest 2020 revised models?
Parts diagrams (L551 PTA) and visual underside inspections (L550 PTA) show that the DOC and SCRF remain pretty much in their original positions, so it's a case of "no change to architecture and hardware". The diesel dilution threshold was raised from 6% to 10% in early 2019 (software update originally appeared in N289) so a service message that would have triggered at 8,000 miles is now being delayed until 13,000 miles, assuming a similar driving style and journey mix. JLR will foot the bill for interim oil services for three years and/or 55,000 miles whichever occurs first. This should be done without quibble according to my local service manager,

If you're planning to keep one for more than 3 years an extended warranty is a "must have" accessory, as it always has been.
17MY SE Tech White

Rediscovery

Oil dilution again - New Evoque L551

Post by Rediscovery » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:11 am

Honest John L551 Range Rover Evoque Good & Bad
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/land-rover/range-rover-evoque-2019-l551/good

15-01-2020: Owner of Evoque 2019 D180 reporting oil service indicator at 3300 miles. Land Rover dealer is unwilling to change the oil free of charge will simply reset the offending warning light.
17MY SE Tech White

Past master

Post by Past master » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:58 am

Strange - my dealer is happy to do a free oil change "under warranty" at 10500 miles after warning flashed up.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black
Now replaced with MY19 D180 Evoque S (new shape)

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”