OBD Bluetooth Adapter

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
47MBC

Re: OBD Bluetooth Adapter

Post by 47MBC » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Hi aquascape, you are right. Only the MX+ version works for iPhone, at about 80 USD. The perks of using iThings :D
I didn't pay attention before, my bad.
MY17 180 TD4 AT

tseug

Post by tseug » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:00 pm

Interesting...OBDlink appears to be a clone of OBDfusion (check the screenshots of each).

I doubt there is any need to pay the significant markup for the branded adapter (though obviously if using greenfruit you need to make sure any adapter is compatible with that).

I see little difference with my genuine ELM chip adapter and my much cheaper chinese clone with EOBDFacile/OBDFusion/Torque Pro. Software differences have been more significant in the past...EOBD Facile had a better database of LR specific PIDs (no idea if this extends to DS as I've had no errors to decode) and the other two better for customised views of data and live view.
MY2018, D240, HSE Dynamic, Indus Silver, ICTP S19B_19.40.4-, Map 08.030.0101.0156

47MBC

Post by 47MBC » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:11 pm

There are tons of OBD adapters available online, I'm sure many might work with DS. I've checked the compatibility chart with Land Rover for this one before buying, and I was maybe 80% certain it will work. It is always a lottery though. I was lucky, I guess, that it gave me the access to the exact data I was looking for.
I couldn't figure out yet how to trigger a regeneration myself, regardless of the trigger counter.
MY17 180 TD4 AT

aquascape

Post by aquascape » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:33 am

Can this or any adapters read oil dilution % as this would also be useful to know?
Discovery Sport HSE Luxury MY16 180 DieselCorris Grey, Black Pack, Side Steps, Paddleshift
Retrofitted Rear Headrest DVD Screens

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:47 am

A couple of things...

Even when you can see if there is an active regeneration in progress and as a result you keep driving until it has finished, you won't stop oil dilution. This is because oil dilution is not caused by just failed active regens, but by *all* active regens. Oil dilution occurs while the ECU is adding extra fuel to the exhaust mix, so ALL diesel DS''s will get oil dilution as they all rely on active regens to clean the DPF. Failed regens make it worse because the car spends more time injecting fuel as it has to restart the regen process again... and again.... and again....

You can't trigger a regeneration while driving. This is done purely by the ECU. The workshop forced regeneration is different and I'm not sure even if we could find the code, it would be wise to use it often. We don't know if there are any other side effects of a forced regen, like perhaps needing to change the oil afterwards.
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 am

aquascape wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:33 am
Can this or any adapters read oil dilution % as this would also be useful to know?
No, not to my knowledge. Even Pathfinder/SDD can only *estimate* a percentage based on distance/completed/failed regeneration's...if for example they estimate a 7% dilution rate, sending a sample away for independent testing will almost certainly result in a different FIO actual reading.

There really is no point in getting frustrated with it - it is what it is. Change the oil every 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes sooner if you plan on keeping the car.

tseug

Post by tseug » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:15 am

aquascape wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:33 am
None of the aftermarket software I use shows a PID for oil dilution. It seems very unlikely there is a sensor available and responses from much more knowledgable people say there isn't
It may be possible to use the same calculation JLR use to arrive at the approximation they see but this would depend very much on the software you use. Whether this calculated value is of any real use is also open to debate.
MY2018, D240, HSE Dynamic, Indus Silver, ICTP S19B_19.40.4-, Map 08.030.0101.0156

47MBC

Post by 47MBC » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:51 pm

No oil dilution PID with this software I'm afraid.
I have settled to change oil every year anyway, since I'm not driving more than 10k per year.
I am aware that the oil dilution happens anyway with every regeneration, but still it will be less if there are no more aborted ones.
Plus the DPF blocked issue will be less likely if regeneration happens on time and it's not interrupted.
How difficult would have been for JLR to add a notification on the dashboard when regeneration is active?
Obviously the PID was there all along.
It is disconcerting to see how fast the "Normalized trigger for DPF regen" value is raising when doing only city driving.
As I said the last regen has stopped at 20% two days ago, after which I did only city driving probably no more than 30-40 miles and today is at 44%.
MY17 180 TD4 AT

tseug

Post by tseug » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:34 pm

For anyone thinking of purchasing an OBDII adapter:

I have just tried a couple of cheap Chinese ELM327 clone devices...one has no name and cost £7 and the other was labelled 'Actimex' and cost £9. Layout on both includes an on/off button and illumination for power/OBD data/bluetooth.
I also used my more usual device which has a genuine ELM chip and cost significantly more back when the clones weren't a choice!

For all three I used Torque Pro / OBDFusion on Android
All were capable of accessing the data covered by the two threads on 'Regen' information collection.

I also used the same adapters with an assortment of other software on droid/windoze/linux and there was no obvious difference in the capability of them.

As well as his Torque Pro software Ian Hawkins markets suitable 'branded' clone adapters and these are actually about a quid cheaper (for droid devices anyway) than I paid for the 'Actimex' one so for adapter (which will work with other software as well) and softare less than £15 total

Other clones can be had for even less money and might be OK...on the other hand for the sake of a couple of extra quid the Torque combo is probably a good choice*

A brand of adapter I have seen mentioned positively several times by greenfruit fans is 'Carista'. They are a few quid more and can be used with most software (they also have their own software but I've no idea on cost).

*no, I don't know Ian or have any financial incentive...I've just used his software for years

aquascape

Post by aquascape » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:46 pm

I purchased one of these Mx+ Adapters off amazon and using the obd link app can communicate with my car but I cannot see any of the dpf values. They show initially on the app but disappear once connected to the car so presumably my car Ecu does not transmit this data. Not sure if it’s because my car is 2016 model or because I am using iOS.
Discovery Sport HSE Luxury MY16 180 DieselCorris Grey, Black Pack, Side Steps, Paddleshift
Retrofitted Rear Headrest DVD Screens

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”