CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
SailorDoc

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by SailorDoc » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:59 pm

I’ve just ordered the Unique-Ad unit. Fingers crossed the install goes OK!
MY18 DS SE Tech 180HP Automatic Santorini Black

Karper

Post by Karper » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:24 am

Nice, let us know how it goes. Due to the situation in China mine from aliexpress is still waiting to be sent.

I've found another place selling it for cheaper, https://www.etradesupply.com/wireless-apple-carplay-for-land-rover-jaguar-discovery-sport-f-pace-discovery-5-android-auto-mirror-wifi-ios13-car-play.html I've never heard of the website before so couldn't vouch for it or the product.

SailorDoc

Post by SailorDoc » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:28 am

Well, the unit has arrived, but doesn’t look as though this weekend will be the one to do the install due to lots of rain and wind from storm Dennis :cry: If anyone has any ‘things to watch out for’ from their own installs please post here!

davep1628

Post by davep1628 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:08 am

SailorDoc wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:28 am
Well, the unit has arrived, but doesn’t look as though this weekend will be the one to do the install due to lots of rain and wind from storm Dennis :cry: If anyone has any ‘things to watch out for’ from their own installs please post here!
When you remove the dash panel above the glovebox, be aware that it's not all clips that hold it on, there is a screw near the centre console end. I approached this with brute force and ignorance and managed to break the lug that the screw goes through :( Luckily, I was able to fix it with some strong glue and it is holding OK.

Dave
2016 Discovery Sport HSE Luxury, Farallon Black, Ivory Interior

SailorDoc

Post by SailorDoc » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:45 pm

davep1628 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:08 am

When you remove the dash panel above the glovebox, be aware that it's not all clips that hold it on, there is a screw near the centre console end. I approached this with brute force and ignorance and managed to break the lug that the screw goes through :( Luckily, I was able to fix it with some strong glue and it is holding OK.

Dave
Thanks, I’ll watch out for that. I got the Topix guide to the trim removal downloaded. Just need a weekend free to do it with decent weather now :D

ikennethj

Post by ikennethj » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:36 am

SailorDoc wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:45 pm
davep1628 wrote:

Dave
Thanks, I’ll watch out for that. I got the Topix guide to the trim removal downloaded. Just need a weekend free to do it with decent weather now :D
Hi, did you manage to install it yet? I am holding back my purchase as I reached out to the guys at AD and am a bit confused. Besides the jumper switches 1 and 8, I was told that we are required to tap the reverse light cable in order for the factory reverse cam to work. Do you know anything about this?

Thanks in advance

ikennethj

Post by ikennethj » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:44 am

davep1628 wrote:
SailorDoc wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:28 am

Dave
Just curious, I don’t seem to be able to remove the panels on the steering wheel side. How do I get access to the small leather panel next to the radio? And the panel under the steering. Am I missing something?

ikennethj

Post by ikennethj » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:12 am

davep1628 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:38 am
Hi,

I can confirm that my factory fitted reversing camera has worked from the moment I installed the device. Unique AD were very keen to know exactly which model year my DIsco is and they set the switches for me before they sent the device to me - 1 & 8 ON in my case.

Regards,
Dave.
Hi Dave, did you have to tap on to the reverse lights cable even with the 1 & 8 on? I reached out to AD and they mentioned I had to do it. How have the system been so far, did you experience any issues?

Thanks

ikennethj

Post by ikennethj » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:15 am

davep1628 wrote:
Hi,

I can confirm that my factory fitted reversing camera has worked from the moment I installed the device. Unique AD were very keen to know exactly which model year my DIsco is and they set the switches for me before they sent the device to me - 1 & 8 ON in my case.

Regards,
Dave.
Sorry, also can you explain the issue of the getting to the rear aircon controls through the touch screen (MMI)? Just concern the wife might get frustrated. Thanks again

davep1628

Post by davep1628 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:18 am

ikennethj wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:12 am
davep1628 wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Dave.
Hi Dave, did you have to tap on to the reverse lights cable even with the 1 & 8 on? I reached out to AD and they mentioned I had to do it. How have the system been so far, did you experience any issues?

Thanks
No, I didn’t need to do anything with the reversing lights, I just plugged in all of the connectors to the Audio Head unit.

From what I recall the panel on the steering wheel side just pops off, revealing the screws for the centre console side panel.

Regards,
Dave.
2016 Discovery Sport HSE Luxury, Farallon Black, Ivory Interior