CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
lionshead

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by lionshead » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:01 pm

Hi,

Tomorrow my '16 with 8" screen goes in for the installation of the Xcarlink option. This is being done by Audiofile-Incar of Bishops Stortford. They previously installed an audio setup to replace the woeful LR system so I can highly recommend them.

I will post once installed.

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:39 pm

This looks like a very promising "project" thread.

I'd be very interested which units support wireless carplay/Android Auto? (looking at the Joyeaut and Unique audio sites, it looks like they do)

My ideal setup would be to replace the trinket tray under the terrain response buttons with a QI charging mat (forum post: [url]https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10346[/url] and a suitable wireless carplay module from this thread . The phone can then wirelessly charge and connect to the module all with no wires.

Other caveats, the original reversing camera/parking sensors must be supported along with the steering wheel controls.

Excited to see what install photos appear...

BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, flaps, privacy glass, memory pack, travall dog guard. Built Oct 2015.

D3GGY

Post by D3GGY » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:43 am

Ive just ordered a wireless CarPlay module. $159

https://carplay2air.com
Volvo XC60 B4 Inscription Pro

davep1628

Post by davep1628 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:58 am

@D3GGY

I think you'll find that that device will only work if you have an existing CarPlay system without the Wireless connectivity, it's not a CarPlay system itself.

Dave.
2016 Discovery Sport HSE Luxury, Farallon Black, Ivory Interior

D3GGY

Post by D3GGY » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:46 am

davep1628 wrote:@D3GGY

I think you'll find that that device will only work if you have an existing CarPlay system without the Wireless connectivity, it's not a CarPlay system itself.

Dave.
Correct and I do in my new Volvo.

davep1628

Post by davep1628 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:18 am

@D3GGY

OK - didn't want anyone to think that that was a quick and cheap solution for their Discovery Sport (although it might work with the Factory CarPlay for the In Connect Touch Pro owners).

Dave.

D3GGY

Post by D3GGY » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:16 pm

davep1628 wrote:@D3GGY

OK - didn't want anyone to think that that was a quick and cheap solution for their Discovery Sport (although it might work with the Factory CarPlay for the In Connect Touch Pro owners).

Dave.
That’s the reason I posted for those who already have CarPlay. Looking forward to no wires for CarPlay as I really like how CarPlay handles calls.

davep1628

Post by davep1628 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:13 am

lionshead wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:01 pm
Hi,

Tomorrow my '16 with 8" screen goes in for the installation of the Xcarlink option. This is being done by Audiofile-Incar of Bishops Stortford. They previously installed an audio setup to replace the woeful LR system so I can highly recommend them.

I will post once installed.
How did your installation go? Are you pleased with the result? How much did you get charged for the work?

Regards,
Dave.

davep1628

Post by davep1628 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:35 pm

davep1628 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:11 pm
I've bitten the bullet and placed an order, they start shipping on 14th November, so it shouldn't be too long 'till I receive the package. Once I receive it, I'll have to make a judgement call on whether or not I'm up to installing it myself or if I should get someone else to do it for me (trust me, if I am able to do it, anyone will be).

Regarding the audio, I think it connects to the AUX input of the standard head unit - if it's like a video I saw of a similar installation in a Disco 3, I expect there is an AUX input on the head unit that gets used, rather than the one in the centre console (of course, that may mean that the centre console one is disabled). All will be revealed when the kit arrives (I hope).

Dave.
Just received notification that my CarPlay kit shipped today, so it will arrive at work the early part of next week - too late for me to install it this weekend, but, hopefully, the weather might be better next weekend anyway.

When it arrives, I'll post photos of the contents of the kit.

Dave.

mwknox@mail.com

Post by mwknox@mail.com » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:45 pm

I got mine this week. Am hoping to be be able to fit it this weekend but am a little nervous about removing the trim and being able to connect it up. Have been looking at the TOPIx documents for the console trim and im hoping i dont have to do everything they suggest and that only certain parts need to be removed to get it installed.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”