CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
SailorDoc

CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by SailorDoc » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:00 pm

I have come across a Company claiming to offer an aftermarket solution to add wireless Apple CarPlay to the 8” InControl Touch displays:

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-carplay-interface-for-land-rover-discovery-sport-range-rover-evoque-discovery-5/

Has anyone tried this? I can’t tell if this is a serious solution, but may be the only option as Land Rover seemingly have no plans to offer CarPlay support :cry:
MY18 DS SE Tech 180HP Automatic Santorini Black

davep1628

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by davep1628 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:19 pm

Funnily enough, I found this product today - I'd also like to know if anyone has any experience of it. I've emailed them to ask for a few more details and to request the installation instructions. I had a response to ask for the VIN number of my car, but nothing else so far.

It would appear, at first glance, that this system is likely to be better than the only other one that I've found in the UK (Xcarlink), since it supports Wireless CarPlay. It's also cheaper than the Xcarlink option.

I'll update this thread if I get any more information from them.

Dave.
2016 Discovery Sport HSE Luxury, Farallon Black, Ivory Interior

davep1628

Post by davep1628 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:17 pm

I had a long online chat session this morning about the Wireless CarPlay Device. The first thing to note is that this is a very new product, first customer shipments start towards the end of next week.

According to the responder:
  • Installation just requires a bit of trim removal - Dash Side Panel, Inner Panel behind Centre Console, side trim below console, dash panels either side of the radio
  • No modifications, such as drilling/cutting panels are required
  • It uses a second microphone for Siri, but the existing one for phone calls
  • Once the panels are removed, installation is just plug & play
  • Factory reverse camera will continue to work as designed
  • To use climate control and other standard Manu items, you need to switch out of CarPlay by a long press on the Home button
  • An experienced installer would expect to take about 3 hours to install, so someone that hasn't done it before would probably take a bit longer
  • The parent company IDCORE designed and engineered the device, but it is manufactured in their own factory in China.
  • The UK office is in Exeter
  • The device is fully CE approved.
They're planning on updating their website with more details and pictures of the system this afternoon.

There is also an, almost, identical system available from JoyAuto https://www.joyeauto.com/land-rover-discovery-5-jaguar-f-pace-wifi-wireless-apple-carplay-airplay-solution/ which is quite a bit cheaper, but JoyAuto are based in China and do not appear to have any UK representation.

I shall probably go with the Unique AD device, even though it's more expensive, purely for the UK support.

I'll post further information if/when I get hold of the device.

Regards,
Dave.

mwknox@mail.com

Post by mwknox@mail.com » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:57 am

Im interested in following this. Post some pictures / videos of the actual installation and then the finished product if you can :-)

Would they be interested in a group buy? Im sure there are quite a few others that would love to get CarPlay or Android Auto in their Discos.

mwknox@mail.com

Post by mwknox@mail.com » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:26 pm

One thing that comes to mind is how does this output the sound to the speakers? Is it using the main original head unit still or is it like the Joyeauto one which uses the Aux connection?

Im not even sure how thats done... if its a cable to the AUX socket then thats a bit of a pain.

mwknox@mail.com

Post by mwknox@mail.com » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:08 pm

answering my own question, yes, it is though the AUX socket. So I wonder what the difference is between the two options then.

davep1628

Post by davep1628 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:11 pm

I've bitten the bullet and placed an order, they start shipping on 14th November, so it shouldn't be too long 'till I receive the package. Once I receive it, I'll have to make a judgement call on whether or not I'm up to installing it myself or if I should get someone else to do it for me (trust me, if I am able to do it, anyone will be).

Regarding the audio, I think it connects to the AUX input of the standard head unit - if it's like a video I saw of a similar installation in a Disco 3, I expect there is an AUX input on the head unit that gets used, rather than the one in the centre console (of course, that may mean that the centre console one is disabled). All will be revealed when the kit arrives (I hope).

Dave.

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:33 pm

Do not assume that a CE logo on their website, packaging or products is a referent to safety - its often used by low cost Chinese sellers whcih when challenged claim it's China Export !

Hope it all works out well though - it's a pricey solution to my eyes but others will think its value for money
MY19 Landmark - Narvik Black, Traffic Sign Recognition, Reduced Spare Wheel, Alloy Pedals

SailorDoc

Post by SailorDoc » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:23 am

I’ll be very interested to hear how your installation goes, and how clear the installation instructions are. It is of course a shame that Land Rover haven’t come up with an official solution, but given their laziness products such as these are going to be the only option. Fingers crossed it’s a viable option!
MY18 DS SE Tech 180HP Automatic Santorini Black

mwknox@mail.com

Post by mwknox@mail.com » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:48 pm

ok so I bit the bullet as well. Ordered one from Joyeauto. It seems to be similar to the Unique AD one but time will tell. I'll post some pics and a review later when it arrives and I install it.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”