Maintenance charging battery

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Canuk

Re: Maintenance charging battery

Post by Canuk » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:27 pm

Elliot wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:41 pm
found this reply to the AGM/Recon question on a jag forum

Recond program is developed only for flooded batteries (including EFB), to remix the flooded acid inside.

and so on
Yours, sincerely,
Teresa
CTEK
Thanks Elliot for finding the information from CTEK :D :D

It is almost the anniversary of when I bought my CTEK and did what I thought was helping the battery, so no more reconditioning until I hear differently

I normally wait until the start stop no longer works then put the battery on charge. Most of the time I turn the start stop off but I let it run once a week when doing short trips and perform a battery check the easy way :lol: . Nooo stopie, low battery!

CTEK connected directly to the battery. That way there is no sparking from using the alligator clips and so much easier than hunting for some other grounding location. IN the past there was always the chance of an explosion (or at least a loud bang) from gases from the lead acid batteries and connecting to a remote ground made sense as does it when boosting a dead car.
Blue Disco 2016
2 litre turbo petrol
5 seater

ryankenn

Post by ryankenn » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:16 pm

I have been using a Schumacher SC1319 Battery maintainer to get around the consistent "low battery" warning I get. I let LR Toronto know as we bought this vehicle as certified pre owned with only 24K on it, and it started almost immediately. With COVID the SUV is parked all week, and at this point it will barely go two weeks without needing a charge. I have to assume there is something wrong somewhere.

I have been connecting the positive to the battery and the ground to the LR recommended engine mount on the passenger side. It just looks easier than trying to get at the battery negative. The problem is so bad at this point I have considered put a couple of 8 gauge terminals down to charging posts under the front end so I can just pull it in the garage and connect the charger without even opening the hood.

So far this is the most disappointing part of the car.

Canuk

Post by Canuk » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:21 am

There was a software fix. My start stop never worked (wife very happy) on a consistent way,unless I charged all the time. Now when I use the start stop it works 90% of the time.

I have wired directly to the battery. I wonder why owners listen to Land Rover as to where to put the connections as most of the trouble seems to be with their electronics anyway.

The ctek has an adapter cable that can be left in place all the time, does the Schumacher have one?
Blue Disco 2016
2 litre turbo petrol
5 seater

ryankenn

Post by ryankenn » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:59 am

It does, as you can switch ends, I never really thought about that. To date I just take the front two plastic retainers off and tip the cover up to get the positive lead. I assume if I take the cover right off I can position them better. I believe the Schumacher came with one adapter that has rings terminals so I can really affix them permanently.

I hope when this all clears and I can get it in for service the software fix can be applied. I do find this car has more things on when its "off" than anything I've driven. Today I went for a 20 min drive to pick up dinner, 60 km/h average, it was 15C out and I didn't have the heater on. But on parking I can hear a fan running for almost 5 mins in the dash. That's probably helping things.

I did let LR know right away so at least its on file when I go in.

Unclemort54

Post by Unclemort54 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:36 am

For information.
The Ctek comfort ‘hardwire’ connector is available with M6, M8 and M10 terminals. And from memory costs around £5.00.
In the UK available from:

https://www.smarterchargers.co.uk
MY16 DS HSE 180 auto, Corris grey, HD Towing Pack (EDT and five seats), 20" style 511, privacy glass, silver roof rails, AFS xenon lights, 5yr SP.

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:02 am

From CTEK:

With stop-start technology becoming increasingly widespread, the new MXS 5.0 model now gains a dedicated mode for AGM batteries commonly used in this type of vehicle. It also gains multi-mode functionality (denoted by the red mode button), meaning it's now possible to select AGM and RECOND charge profiles in any mode - so you can run a recondition cycle on a smaller battery, or optimally charge a small AGM to the correct voltage.

BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps, Privacy Glass, Memory Pack, Travall Dog Guard, Removable Tow Bar, Qi Wireless Charging Mat. Built Oct 2015.

BrianD

Post by BrianD » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:38 am

Re Battery charging. Yes the manual does say remove the battery from the car when charging, to prevent confusing the battery management electronics. An alternative to removing the battery from the car, is to disconnect the positive terminal from the battery and insulate. Apply the battery charger directly to the positive and negative posts of the battery. This prevents the charging current from flowing through battery management shunt connected in the battery negative wiring. What you will have to do when charging is complete and the positive terminal re connected to the battery. Is to reset the windows and blind settings. This is easy to do and described in the manual, it entails cycling each window and the roof blind through an open and close cycle.

Brian
DS 2.0TD4 180 Auto, HSE Lux, Farallon Black,Windsor Leather Interior, Side Steps, Roof Bars, Privacy Gass, Panoramic Glass Roof, 10.1 inch Touch Screen, 850W Meridian Sound System.

Canuk

Post by Canuk » Fri May 01, 2020 5:59 pm

prevent confusing the battery management electronics.

As if the car is not confused already :lol:
Blue Disco 2016
2 litre turbo petrol
5 seater

aingarth

Post by aingarth » Mon May 25, 2020 11:38 am

During the lockdown, my car has developed an issue that the auto stop/start has ceased to work. For a 2 month period from early March to early May, when we were only allowed to make essential journeys, the car only travelled about 45 miles in total and I was not surprised that the auto stop did not activate, even when the engine was up to temperature. By late April, the red warning, battery low - start engine started appearing. Short journeys did not add sufficient charge to remove this warning and items such as the electric tailgate stopped working if the engine was not running. I rang the local dealer and asked if I could charge the battery or if I needed to drive a longer journey. The advice was:- " No problem in putting a charger on the battery, using the positive terminal on the battery but using the negative chassis connection point indicated in the handbook and not the negative terminal on the battery. In no circumstances disconnect or remove the battery as the car will require a full re-program". I explained the type of charger I have, a charge/condition unit retailed by Halfords and was told that was fine". I charged the battery without any problem with everything functioning as normal. However, following a 150 mile round journey late last week the auto stop/start system is still not operational. Any ideas?
Disco Sport Landmark 180 auto New 29/11/2018
Subaru Impreza 2007 New 29/9/2007
Previous Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto New29/09/2012
Previous Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto New 30/03/2007
Previous - BMW 525i Auto and 528i Auto

County

Post by County » Mon May 25, 2020 3:17 pm

:oops: A trip to the dealers as it's still under warranty?
:D B 1984 RR Vouge, Then BMW. Back to LR, H 1991 Disco 1, L 1993 Disco, N 1996 Disco, Y 2001 Disco, 53 Disco 2, 56 Disco 3
MY10 FL2 TD4 XS [Nav], MY13 FL2 TD4 GS Auto
MY15 DS SE Tech Auto Firenze Red 2.2 FL engine!