Maintenance charging battery

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
DRBA22

Re: Maintenance charging battery

Post by DRBA22 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:02 am

Thanks UncleMort54 for the confirmation. At least I now have the option for a permanent -ve connection for the CTEK which will obviate the need to remove the battery cover. Ironically the +ve terminal is not as convenient as the arrangement shown in your photo, so I will resort to using the clamp nut.

County

Post by County » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:12 pm

:cry: just had to put the Ctex on the VW Polo MY10, as had to jump start it after being called by son with flat battery at local Tesco's, he couldn't understand it, but he had sent his girlfriend in to do all of the shopping while he stayed with the ignition switched on playing the radio and charging his fone! Shows how long the weekly shop now is. :roll:
:D B 1984 RR Vouge, Then BMW. Back to LR, H 1991 Disco 1, L 1993 Disco, N 1996 Disco, Y 2001 Disco, 53 Disco 2, 56 Disco 3
MY10 FL2 TD4 XS [Nav], MY13 FL2 TD4 GS Auto
MY15 DS SE Tech Auto Firenze Red 2.2 FL engine!

Unclemort54

Post by Unclemort54 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:24 pm

Does anyone know if it’s OK to use the reconditioning cycle on the Ctek charger on an AGM battery? I note that on Ctek’s the reconditioning uses the ‘normal cycle and not the AGM.
Maybe one can initially use the AGM and when charged switch to recon. The AGM charges at a slightly higher voltage.
Views and knowledge appropriated.
MY16 DS HSE 180 auto, Corris grey, HD Towing Pack (EDT and five seats), 20" style 511, privacy glass, silver roof rails, AFS xenon lights, 5yr SP.

Canuk

Post by Canuk » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:27 pm

I used the AGM reconditioning with my CTEK . Do not know if it helped but I assume it did not hurt.

Prior to using the ctek I would get the low battery warning occassionaly but now with the ctek directly wired to the battery terminals have never had it in over a year. Put on charge once a month in winter and if doing lots of short trips in summer with the a/c on full once a month as well.

With the ctek directly wired there is no change of sparking and accompanying problems.
Blue Disco 2016
2 litre turbo petrol
5 seater

County

Post by County » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:29 pm

8-) I have used the AGM once when first got the unit, instructions recommend once a year, just use normal charge since when needed, no battery warnings yet.
:D B 1984 RR Vouge, Then BMW. Back to LR, H 1991 Disco 1, L 1993 Disco, N 1996 Disco, Y 2001 Disco, 53 Disco 2, 56 Disco 3
MY10 FL2 TD4 XS [Nav], MY13 FL2 TD4 GS Auto
MY15 DS SE Tech Auto Firenze Red 2.2 FL engine!

Burnerg81

Post by Burnerg81 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:24 am

I bought a ctek 5 last week and charged the battery using the crocodile clips. All good and I'm now going to attach the comfort connectors.

From what I can gather using the secondary earth for the -ve comfort cable would be fine? Photo below from a previous post.

Anyone confirm?

Thanks.

Screenshot_20200422-111523_Samsung Internet.jpg

Burnerg81

Post by Burnerg81 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:30 pm

PS: I have the empty threaded hole above but it's an m8 and the eyelet on the comfort cable is m6.

If the secondary earth isn't fine can I:

1) just cut the eyelet on the cable, or
2) use any other spare hole on the bodywork (there are plenty, but nothing as neat as the part of the bodywork the battery earth cables attach to)

Thanks!

Burnerg81

Post by Burnerg81 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:24 pm

Ok, finally!

Couldn't get a screw into the spare hole so used a bolt on the metal above the wheel/suspension (bulk head?).

This ok?

Screenshot_20200422-162315_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200422-162309_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200422-162259_Gallery.jpg

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:41 pm

found this reply to the AGM/Recon question on a jag forum

Recond program is developed only for flooded batteries (including EFB), to remix the flooded acid inside.
The remixing/balancing is necessary to treat an already stratified battery, or to prevent severe stratification.
AGM or GEL batteries are not flooded, and therefore does not suffer from stratification. That means Recond will not help AGM or GEL.
Reconding an AGM battery does not harm the battery, but does not help either, so we cannot recommend recond program on AGM batteries either.
For GEL batteries, recond can be harmful, because using too high voltage can dry the gel inside the battery and weaken the battery instead of empowering it.
NOTE:
When you choose Recond program, you should note that Recond program always starts with a normal battery charging program. Then, after battery has reached fully charged, Recond treatment itself is implemented. Depending of charger model and battery size, Recond step lasts from ½ to 4 hours, on top of the charging time.
When charger turns to green light, the program is completed.

Yours, sincerely
Teresa
CTEK

also asked why they had AMG listed in Normal Charge Mode and also in Snowflake/AGM the reply:-

Dear Sir;

There are many different battery manufacturers and battery models on the market.
Recommendations regarding charging voltage vary a bit.

Most AGM- batteries are recommended to charge with normal 14.4V voltage.
Some AGM- batteries (and Ca-Ca batteries) require 14.7V (snowflake) for best treatment.

Please check with the battery manufacturer to get the correct information for your particular battery.

If no information is possible to acquire, use normal charging option, 14.4V It suits most lead/acid batteries, including GEL, EFB, AGM, etc.
It is better to charge with a bit too low voltage than too high.

Yours, sincerely,
Teresa
CTEK
Narvik 250P hse, lovely

Stroh

Post by Stroh » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:48 pm

I don't have a subscription for Topix but I saw this title pop up in the notifications. Perhaps it has information pertinent to this thread?

Discovery Sport / Range Rover Evoque - NLI Head unit battery drain leading to ‘Low battery message’
2020 DS P250 SE, Fuji White, Acorn Windsor Leather Heated and Cooled Seats, Premium Interior Upgrade Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Meridian Surround Sound System with Sirius XM Satellite Radio, Black Exterior Pack, Technology Pack, Natural Shadow Oak Veneer!