7 Seat + Spare LR Towbar fitting - drop exhaust?

All Discovery Sport related discussions
wheels81

7 Seat + Spare LR Towbar fitting - drop exhaust?

Post by wheels81 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:46 am

Hey all,
I have a 5+2 + Spare DS, and have just received the LR fixed ball kit, so this weekend its project time.

The instructions from Topix suggest that the exhaust needs to be dropped to complete the work (and i have seen videos for the 5 seat which show the same), but of course the accessory guide says to check the workshop manual for instructions on how to do this.

I have a copy of the workshop manual, but there are no sections on exhaust removal, so I am wondering if anyone has access to topix who can see if there are any other guides on this - or if anyone has any experience.

Looking at the new towbar support beam, there are two struts which could very well be exhaust hangers, yet the accessory guide does not show if these are to be used once the original crash member is removed.

Haven't seen any guides online for 7+spare towbar fitting, so I might take pics and do a writeup as i go.

Thanks in advance!
MY17 SE-Tech 180 Manual 7 Seats + Spare. TSR, Reverse Cam, Privacy Glass, Santorini Black roof.

Dashnine

Re: 7 Seat + Spare LR Towbar fitting - drop exhaust?

Post by Dashnine » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:56 am

I think it's relatively straightforward to drop the exhaust - just (that simple word - 'just' which can take hours sometimes) unhook the rubber mounts off the carrier, see attached.
Removal Exhaust System Rear Silencer.pdf
(245.89 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

wheels81

Post by wheels81 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 am

Thats great. Thanks Dashnine, pretty much confirms what i thought.
It looks like it will use the hangers on the new member. Hopefully i can get away with *just* releasing the rear-most rubber hangers.
MY17 SE-Tech 180 Manual 7 Seats + Spare. TSR, Reverse Cam, Privacy Glass, Santorini Black roof.

wheels81

Post by wheels81 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:42 pm

*Just* release the hangers they said. It will be easy they said!

Releasing the rubber exhaust mounts was the hardest part, but truth be told not all that painful.
For anyone else visiting this post in the future - yes you do have to drop the exhaust system. The twin box system on the 7+spare completely obscures the 4 long mounting bolts on each side, so you will have to do it.
You will also have to release the rubber mounts closest to the rear. The exhaust is connected to the torsion bar which you have to remove and discard, but you need to remount them onto the new structural beam in the kit.
The other mounts (the other side of the box) I opted to release the brackets.
I braced both boxes on a plank of 6x4 and held it on a trolly jack. Then it was just a case of lowering it down to get the necessary clearance.

Whilst i did most of the work on my own, I couldn't conceive of doing it without another pair of hands to help offer up the new beam and to support the bumper while you reconnect the electronics, so make sure you have a buddy for the tricky/heavy bits.
All in all took around 4.5 hours, no drama, and only limited swearing.

wheels81

Post by wheels81 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:48 pm

Oh - one more thing.
The arse bump panel has 4 bolts, instead of just the two Torx screws on the original. This left me two bolts short. I think they are M8-40s's so you probably want to make sure you have a pair of bolts + washers before you start.

I didn't - but nothing a pair of cable ties couldn't temporarily fix :)

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”