Rear Brake Pads and Discs

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
elmo

Rear Brake Pads and Discs

Post by elmo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:06 am

Greetings all.
I have used the search facility but cannot find an exact match to my query.
Had my 2nd oil service yesterday at 14000 miles (18 months old car). On completion I was told that the rear brake discs have 2mm wear left and need to be replaced along with the discs. I have no disc corrosion.

What mileage are people getting on their brake pads and why is there a need to change the discs? Previous Non LR cars have not needed disc replacement until the 3rd set of pads have gone on.

Elmo
Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 180 SE, two Dawes touring bikes and a mountain bike. How shall I get to work today?

Dashnine

Re: Rear Brake Pads and Discs

Post by Dashnine » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:40 am

That’s an incredibly low mileage for disc replacement given there’s no corrosion. I’d expect at least twice that before having to replace the discs, but these days it can be common to replace discs with the pads as modern (and I mean the last 20+ years) pads are abrasive and deliberately machine that discs to stop variable disc thickness and hence juddering (which old asbestos based pads didn’t need).

Not sure what can be done in your case, there’s an explanation somewhere - regularly heavily loaded etc. making the rear brakes work harder.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

PaulCP

Post by PaulCP » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:05 am

Think I’d be checking them myself or getting a second opinion and yes, I do have a high mistrust of dealers (not just LR ones)
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

RPR

Post by RPR » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:04 am

Rear pads change after only 14,000!

That doesn't sound encouraging
MY18 Indus Silver HSE Black Edition 2.0 TD4 180 ICTP 825w Meridian Audio, Hi Res audio

Bugginbob

Post by Bugginbob » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:59 am

When my car had a free “safety check” when in for its first oil change at 10k I was told the rear pads were low. The pads an discs had been changed by that dealer 1k before under warranty. I checked the pads myself, they were fine and at 30k now still have plenty left on them. So in other words get them checked by someone else as I think dealers make it up as they go along.
MY17 HSE Black, Corris Grey, Diesel Auto
Seat Leon 1.4 Tsi FR Tech
Triumph Scrambler

Past master

Post by Past master » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:19 pm

I agree with the above. Dealers need to be super conservative about brakes because they theoretically have to last 21000 miles between services. But it sounds like your dealer is taking the p... Or there's something wrong with the brakes.
Mine had the rear discs changed under warranty at 20000 miles. It's now on 51000 and the rear discs are fine. However because of the unpolished area around the rim where the pads don't touch, they don't look good, and the dealer has used this to say they need changing and lowered the trade in value as a result.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black
Now replaced with MY19 D180 Evoque S (new shape)

Northern Lights

Post by Northern Lights » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:40 pm

I have the same issue, my Discovery Sport is 2 years old and completed 14,200 miles, warning light came on, dealer says I need new rear brake pads and new disks. The service manager tells me it’s because of such a low mileage, I do not remember getting a warning about low mileage, drivel of course. He then explained that there have been issues, but LR have no protocols in their warranty to supply replacements. Interestingly I also have a Freelander which is now 8.5 years old, completed 65,000 miles and apart from new pads, the disks, front and back are fine. After a lifetime of driving LR’s I am now finished with them. Very sad.

elmo

Post by elmo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:36 pm

I have a good update.
My initial post said that I had no corrosion on the discs. Someone else inspected them and pointed me to the back of the disc which was pitted and grooved.
Last weekend I posted a letter to my dealer expressing my concerns at the low mileage and cited this forum and the JLR bulletin.
An email on Monday from the dealer said warranty job. The rear discs and pads were changed today.
The dealer Westover Salisbury have come up trumps twice now, the oil changes and now this. I wonder why some dealers argue an fob people off with 'driving style' etc when others look after the customer.
Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 180 SE, two Dawes touring bikes and a mountain bike. How shall I get to work today?

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:25 am

Good result 8-)

Now, if only they would stop making their brake discs from recycled Fiats. :roll:

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey
Opening Panoramic Roof, Virtual Cockpit, Canton Sound, Adaptive Cruise Control, Adaptive LED Headlamps, Heated Steering Wheel, Reverse Camera, Side Steps

GONE - 17MY HSE Auto 180 - JUNK

dghdgh

Post by dghdgh » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:47 pm

elmo wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:36 pm
I have a good update.
My initial post said that I had no corrosion on the discs. Someone else inspected them and pointed me to the back of the disc which was pitted and grooved.
Last weekend I posted a letter to my dealer expressing my concerns at the low mileage and cited this forum and the JLR bulletin.
An email on Monday from the dealer said warranty job. The rear discs and pads were changed today.
The dealer Westover Salisbury have come up trumps twice now, the oil changes and now this. I wonder why some dealers argue an fob people off with 'driving style' etc when others look after the customer.
I wonder if the dealer would have suggested warranty to cover these without your independent inspection, citing the forum and pointing out the JLR bulletin? Sounds like they were trying their arm.

Return to “Faults & Technical”