Rav4

The place to discuss everything else..
ntc

Re: Rav4

Post by ntc » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:43 pm

roadster wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:37 am
Should be collecting mine on Sunday. Can't wait! Did you get the Toyota tow bar or some other?
Hi well done which model did you go for ? factory removable tow bar and 3 year service plan.When you get your vin number go to my Toyota uk and download both manuals you will need them to set the car as you would prefer,the dealers mostly don't know how ie when using sat nav the directions will display in the screen in front of you, any help you can pm me but I will be abroad next week, anyway enjoy setting it up its good fun.
Enjoy the car. :D
MY 2016.7 Hse Lux 180
Gone should have built it better shame nice car cheap parts fitted from new, expensive dealers :roll:
New Rav4 AWD Dynamic LOVE IT :D

ntc

Post by ntc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Well ten days in France no problems at all another 2k sticking to the speed limits 610miles on one tank wow. :D
MY 2016.7 Hse Lux 180
Gone should have built it better shame nice car cheap parts fitted from new, expensive dealers :roll:

TeddyBear

Cheerio.

Post by TeddyBear » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:37 am

I've just had the most remarkable test drive experience of my life! This is a May 2019 Design with 7,000 miles and I'm planning to pick it up on Friday. At last I understand what RAV fans have been saying about the HSD and what smooth torque with no gears really feels like. Pulling away with no engine noise is weird at first (as is lack of RPM gauge) and I didn't know whether the engine was on of off. By the time I pulled back onto the forecourt I didn't care either. Stop-start is just crude by comparison. I haven't felt this excited about a car since I got my first 6-cylinder 24V 320i SE in 1992. Anyway, JLR had their chance and blew it. Good luck to all. Ed.

rav4.PNG

roadster

Re: Cheerio.

Post by roadster » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:52 am

TeddyBear wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:37 am
I've just had the most remarkable test drive experience of my life! This is a May 2019 Design with 7,000 miles and I'm planning to pick it up on Friday. At last I understand what RAV fans have been saying about the HSD and what smooth torque with no gears really feels like. Pulling away with no engine noise is weird at first (as is lack of RPM gauge) and I didn't know whether the engine was on of off. By the time I pulled back onto the forecourt I didn't care either. Stop-start is just crude by comparison. I haven't felt this excited about a car since I got my first 6-cylinder 24V 320i SE in 1992. Anyway, JLR had their chance and blew it. Good luck to all. Ed.

rav4.PNG
Yes it was the test drive that did it for me exactly as you say. I'm sure you will be as happy as I am when you get behind the wheel. The car optimizes fuel use but the driver decides the rate of progress just by accelerator pedal control. Retardation gathers energy with gentle use of the brake pedal and the disks and pads get minimal use. This is something I have anticipated for decades and its finally been achieved.
2018 MY Diesel auto 180 SE tech

Caterham

Post by Caterham » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:47 am

Has anyone had experience of towing a caravan with the new RAV4? I’m considering swapping but nervous about towing capability.

ntc

Post by ntc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Caterham wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:47 am
Has anyone had experience of towing a caravan with the new RAV4? I’m considering swapping but nervous about towing capability.
No problems towing with mine at all 1600kg
MY 2016.7 Hse Lux 180

roadster

Re: Rav4 - where it can't match the DS

Post by roadster » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:30 am

I said I would report about my RAV4 in a balanced way so here is an area where it can't match the DS and doesn't really come close. One of the pleasant surprises you get with the DS is that the "Sport" bit is actually much better than could be expected of an SUV. The RAV4 doesn't have any pretentions in this area and, although it has the power, when you try to press on and use all of that 222 HP the handling and ride quality deteriorates pretty quickly. It squirms about both under acceleration and under heavy braking and lets you know you really shouldn't be trying that hard. The DS retains its composure and its ride comfort much better when pushed a little harder, and never feels in any kind of difficulty when using full throttle or cornering briskly. Some of this difference is because the RAV4 doesn't transition to four wheel drive quickly enough to give the same "cornering on rails" characteristic but its also because the quality of the suspension doesn't have the same suppleness and damping control. The DS owner can enjoy a luxurious ride under any circumstances but perhaps the RAV4 has to be driven more carefully within its limitations. Having said all that I expect that nine out of ten owners have no intention of driving in anything other than gentle fashion and for them its possible that only at motorway speeds would the DS have the big advantage.

ntc

Post by ntc » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Tyres 33 psi ? check as some dealers do not deflate after transport, then set it on the tpms.
MY 2016.7 Hse Lux 180

roadster

Post by roadster » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:58 am

ntc wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:05 pm
Tyres 33 psi ? check as some dealers do not deflate after transport, then set it on the tpms.
Yes I've reported that on the Toyota forum. First thing I always check with a new car. near side were spot on, offside at delivery pressures! All my comments refer to behaviour at 33 psi all round. Incidentally the DS was delivered with relatively small discrepancies probably because they weren't adjusted when cold. There is no actual pressure read out available on the Toyota TPMS so it takes a bit more effort to check.

ntc

Post by ntc » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:06 pm

I see they are now used as course cars on the BTCC and they also will go hybrid next 2021 just like the others have done. F1, 24hrs etc.
MY 2016.7 Hse Lux 180

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”