New DS? Dilemma re oil dilution etc

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Peternb

New DS? Dilemma re oil dilution etc

Post by Peternb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:05 pm

I have been thinking about getting the new DS (never had a JLR vehicle before!) . Seriously concerned though re what I have read re oil dilution problems and general reliability! I am a low mileage driver under 7000 miles per year. I currently have an XC60 2.4 diesel and have never had any problems at all. Is it only the D180 engine that is effected? I suspect it may be a safer bet to go for the petrol engine? Anyone know whether that’s any good? Maybe I should go with my other option which would be the new Mercedes GLC! Interested to hear opinions. Thanks.

Brianthemodeller

Re: New DS? Dilemma re oil dilution etc

Post by Brianthemodeller » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:22 pm

If you are only doing 7k per year I would suggest a Diesel engine is not the best option, oil dilution or not!
MY19 DS HSE 150 Manual in Scotia grey with privacy glass and cirus trim... and she’s gorgeous ;)
Now with Amazon Echo dot, wireless phone charger and LR dog guard

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Hi -

Well, given that JLR have known about the oil dilution issue for a good 3 years, probably more, you would hope that with the new DS (and Evoque) being on a new platform that they would have finally fixed it. However, only time is going to tell on that one with Evoque owners likely to be amongst the first to notice, especially as LR are heavily advertising it for use in the City, so short trips, stuck in traffic....

Petrol engines have been fine, and general build quality seems to have improved over time, so one would hope that carries through to the new DS, but until it arrives you just don't know. The interior quality of the new Evoque looks very good and feels very nice, so there is some hope there. Maybe worth taking a good look around the Evoque in the showroom to see what you think. I suspect DS will be very similar inside. certainly looks that way from the photos.
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:33 pm

A petrol DS is your best bet - even if the oil dilution issue is fixed, it will still be actively regenerating more frequently at low mileages (using diesel to burn off the soot).

Most Euro6 diesels will have the need to regenerate, your XC-60 was probably Euro5 where this wasn’t an issue, as with the old Euro5 2.2 DS engine.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

s5156

Post by s5156 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi Peternb..

I appreciate where you're coming from as a previous DS owner (and now a new XC60 owner I may be biased) my thoughts only...

DO you need the full capabilities of the DS 4WD system and will you use it to it's fullest? If not there are many alternates. After rejecting 2x DS's I had a big rethink about "what I wanted" and settled for maybe a "lesser capability 4WD system", after all I was never going to cross deserts or climb serious mountains. I'm also sure that the new XC60 may have some issues (hard to find serious issues) as it's a relatively new model, but most of the systems it uses are proven as they are shared on other models. I looked at everything as I knew my 2nd reject was imminent so I did lots of looking and test driving, you name I drove it! I settled on the Volvo (my first) as it ticked all my boxes.

If you really want a DS I'm sure you could be happy but my thoughts would steer you away from any diesel version as a starting point, also remember that what's standard in some competitors are expensive options on the DS (and some others), another reason I went for the current XC60. Audi, Merc and BMW seem to have the highest prices for options around! Some of the others Skoda, VW, KIA, Hyundai and even Jeep seem to be not as bad price wise. I didn't look at Alfa as they hadn't been released when I looked so can't really comment on them. I suggest you drive them, it's your hard earned that's going to be shelled out so spend it wisely.

Many have stated on here that the F-Pace diesels seem NOT to have the DPF issues as their systems are different I think, others may know more about this. From comments it seems they are NOT plagued with the same issues and have better build quality (and a bigger cost maybe). If it was me and again I must stress it's my opinion only, I had a nasty experience with JLR ( CRC in Aust and UK and how they handled things) but NOT my dealer who was great.. I wouldn't ever touch a JLR product again (shame as all my expectations were shattered) unless I won it and then I'd seriously consider selling it straight away!

I do wish you luck with whatever you choose and I also understand that there are many DS owners that are very happy with their cars and they are not really as vocal on the forum as those with issues. You mention your "trouble free Volvo Xc60..." doesn't that tell you something?

Cheers
s5156
Australia
1st DS - HSE SD4 2.2D, B-Pillar Rattle - Rejected: July 2017
2nd DS - HSE TD4 180, B-Pillar Rattle - Rejected: October 2017
2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription D4, 8Sp Auto, Pine Grey, Bowers & Wilkins, Air suspension. Napa Leather
What a change!

Peternb

Post by Peternb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:45 pm

s5156 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:51 pm
Hi Peternb..

I appreciate where you're coming from as a previous DS owner (and now a new XC60 owner I may be biased) my thoughts only...

DO you need the full capabilities of the DS 4WD system and will you use it to it's fullest? If not there are many alternates. After rejecting 2x DS's I had a big rethink about "what I wanted" and settled for maybe a "lesser capability 4WD system", after all I was never going to cross deserts or climb serious mountains. I'm also sure that the new XC60 may have some issues (hard to find serious issues) as it's a relatively new model, but most of the systems it uses are proven as they are shared on other models. I looked at everything as I knew my 2nd reject was imminent so I did lots of looking and test driving, you name I drove it! I settled on the Volvo (my first) as it ticked all my boxes.

If you really want a DS I'm sure you could be happy but my thoughts would steer you away from any diesel version as a starting point, also remember that what's standard in some competitors are expensive options on the DS (and some others), another reason I went for the current XC60. Audi, Merc and BMW seem to have the highest prices for options around! Some of the others Skoda, VW, KIA, Hyundai and even Jeep seem to be not as bad price wise. I didn't look at Alfa as they hadn't been released when I looked so can't really comment on them. I suggest you drive them, it's your hard earned that's going to be shelled out so spend it wisely.

Many have stated on here that the F-Pace diesels seem NOT to have the DPF issues as their systems are different I think, others may know more about this. From comments it seems they are NOT plagued with the same issues and have better build quality (and a bigger cost maybe). If it was me and again I must stress it's my opinion only, I had a nasty experience with JLR ( CRC in Aust and UK and how they handled things) but NOT my dealer who was great.. I wouldn't ever touch a JLR product again (shame as all my expectations were shattered) unless I won it and then I'd seriously consider selling it straight away!

I do wish you luck with whatever you choose and I also understand that there are many DS owners that are very happy with their cars and they are not really as vocal on the forum as those with issues. You mention your "trouble free Volvo Xc60..." doesn't that tell you something?

Cheers
Thanks for your post.
I did initially think of going for another Volvo XC60, but little things annoyed me like no wireless charging capability for example, no ambient/mood lighting etc. Shallow I know but if spending a lot of money on a new car I want it to have those things! I was attracted to the new technology on the new DS , clear sight , etc and the fact that the screens are integrated into the dash rather than looking like they are an after thought!

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Just so you are aware. my delaer told me they don't expect to see a new DS, even a showroom example until August - doesn't help you with your decision if you can't go and prod / test the quality of materials.
MY19 Landmark - Narvik Black, Traffic Sign Recognition, Reduced Spare Wheel, Alloy Pedals

Chris b

Post by Chris b » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:45 pm

I agree that for low mileage, petrol engine is best suited. However, as a current D180 owner and traded in a 3-yr old D180 last year with 60k miles on the clock, I have never had oil dilution. In fact very slight oil consumption is detectable on the dipstick at 12k miles on this one.

Another important factor is how you drive in your 7k a year. My mileage is a mix of short and long journeys so mine regularly gets the chance to self regenerate at high exhaust temps and does not over fuel too often . That's my theory.
19MY 2.0 HSE Manual. FIrenze+Corris roof, black headlining & grey 18" wheels
Gone:
2015 DS 2.0 HSE Manual 59k miles
2x Freelander 2 XS 09MY &13MY
G4 Discovery 2 (Tangiers Orange)
2x Discovery XS Tdi '97 Co. car then own '98

DroitwichGas

Post by DroitwichGas » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:39 pm

The big question is how long you usually keep your new car, if it is only 3 or 4 years the oil dilution is not really going to be an issue as any issues will be covered by the warranty/a 12 months extended warranty. As far as buying a petrol DS, do LR actually sell any in the UK, as I've never seen any advertised for sale and who is going to buy it secondhand unless the market has really gone 100% anti diesel when you come to sell it?

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:29 pm

DroitwichGas wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:39 pm
The big question is how long you usually keep your new car, if it is only 3 or 4 years the oil dilution is not really going to be an issue as any issues will be covered by the warranty/a 12 months extended warranty. As far as buying a petrol DS, do LR actually sell any in the UK, as I've never seen any advertised for sale and who is going to buy it secondhand unless the market has really gone 100% anti diesel when you come to sell it?
Errrr, yes they do I’m looking at one. Plus look on Autotrader, 88 for sale in UK. Who’s going to buy them secondhand - same kind of people who are buying them new I guess.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”