Meridian vs Factory-fit

All Discovery Sport related discussions
LROwner1337

Meridian vs Factory-fit

Post by LROwner1337 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:08 pm

Hello,

I have a late-2016 Discovery Sport HSE Black edition with Meridian sound system, which I purchased a couple of months ago. I thought the sound was flat and tinny, played with the bass/mid settings to see if I could improve that and it still struggles to produce any reasonable amount of bass. I assumed this was just how it was and accepted that.

Today I was given a 2018/2019 Discovery Sport SE Tech courtesy car without Meridian-labelled speakers, so presumably the factory-fit system? In any case, the sound is a good 30x as meaty as my Meridian system, it really has a punch by comparison. I've reported it to the dealership and they've advised me they'll take a look.

Does this sound like a problem or does it seem to fall in line with what I should expect from the 'upgraded' Meridian system? I presume I have the 380W Meridian system and I have the standard InControl touch system.

snowmanx95

Re: Meridian vs Factory-fit

Post by snowmanx95 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:32 pm

We have the factory fit system and when I test drove the car, I found it "good enough". Yes, I have heard better systems, but it is one of the best factory fit systems I heard. In fact our previous car is Toyota RAV4 equipped with JBL premium sound system and to my surprise both systems sound fairly similar when it comes to sound clarity and bass expression (the RAV4 can do a bit better bass, because it has a subwoofer, but not that much for the style of music I'm listening to)
2018 DS HSE Firenze Red 237hp

LROwner1337

Post by LROwner1337 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:26 pm

It's impressive for a factory fit in my opinion. What I'm getting at is that the factory-fit system in an SE Tech absolutely blows my Meridian system in an HSE out of the water by far. It feels like there's a problem with the system in my car. I've mentioned it to the dealership and I'll see whether they find anything interesting.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:44 pm

I think you do have an issue regardless of which Meridian system you have - it should be better than the unlabelled SE system.

Your late 2016 DS will be a MY17 car which as an HSE would have the Meridian labelled 380W as standard (without CD player) or the optional 825W Meridian system (with CD), both have a subwoofer, the 380W has 10 speakers, the 825W 16 speakers.

So either should sound better than the unlabelled 190W system of the SE. Can you hear anything out of the bigger midrange speakers in the doors, or just from the smaller tweeters in the doors and pillars? If so, maybe a connection issue out of the head unit / amp (which is under the passenger seat, maybe possible to have a look).
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”