Moving from Diesel DS to Petrol DS: worth the effort?

All Discovery Sport related discussions
iPaul

Moving from Diesel DS to Petrol DS: worth the effort?

Post by iPaul » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 am

Hi Folks,

I'm suffering from the diesel DS 6k mile/8 month oil change service interval due to oil dilution problem. Other than that, I love my 17 plate HSE Lux. I'm contemplating a swap to another DS of similar age, spec and milage but with a petrol engine, assuming I can come to an acceptable (i.e. minimal) cost to change with my dealer. I know a few other forum users have made the same journey and wondered, with the glorious benefit of hindsight, whether you are happy with the switch from Diesel DS to the petrol version, or are there a new series of annoyances awaiting me if I switch? Anything I need to be aware of when choosing a petrol DS of roughly 17 plate vintage?

Cheers,

Paul
2017 HSE Luxury, Waitomo grey, ivory leather with privacy glass and tow bar

Dashnine

Re: Moving from Diesel DS to Petrol DS: worth the effort?

Post by Dashnine » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:43 am

I switched, but to a new P240 from the D180 and just love it, it’s a different animal and a hoot to drive. But the elephant in the room is the fuel consumption, I got 32mpg over 3 years with the D180 and after nearly 2 months it’s 24mpg with the P240. However, I’ve not really done any long trips yet and on a good run it does 27-28mpg so I’m hoping a trip down to Devon at Easter will raise the average.

As long as you factor in the extra fuel cost (which isn’t a lot when you compare it to the cost of buying the thing, and tell the wife that petrol’s cheaper than diesel which she can see for herself at the pump) you can relax and just enjoy it.

In terms of petrol specific issues, nothing’s risen its ugly head yet so hopefully it’ll stay that way!
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Koevoet

Post by Koevoet » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:41 pm

We bought an Si240 in September. its been great, my Wife does mostly short local runs into and around Edinburgh and the Lothians. We have also taken the car up to Skye and did a bit of touring around the Highlands. The consumption si what you would expect from a near 2t car with a 240hp petrol engine accept that and all is good.Longer runs, you will get better consumption. The only issue that my Wife has thrown up is that there is a hesitancy pulling away but once you get the hang of that, It's also amusing to see just how nippy it can be off the mark.
MY2019 DS HSE petrol 240, Firenze red with Contrasting black roof ,18" dark grey rims,camera's etc
Gone : Lexus NX 300H
In the garage for fundays: Porsche 981 Boxster S, PSE ,PASM,LSD, PTV, Sport chrono and manual gearbox :D

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:53 pm

If you don’t need 7 seats go take a look at the 25t FPace.
Best change I ever made from the diesel DS !
Love it and getting 32-38 mpg In it too (in D not eco)
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Barnsh wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:53 pm
Barnsh, you must drive with an egg under the accelerator, I can't believe 230Kg less weight gives you 8-14mpg more - the official figures are only 3mpg apart (for combined, but we know all about those)

I reckon everywhere you go must be downhill with a following wind home! :-)
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

XES Owner

Post by XES Owner » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:33 pm

Crumbs, I can get up to 52mpg with four passengers from my petrol DS.
Five miles driving and five miles, all pushing. Although it does take a heck of a time to get anywhere :roll: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, I have had 30mpg from it in the first 200 or so miles from new - taking it easy. But since I've given up pushing it everywhere, I regularly achieve 26mpg which I suppose isn't too bad considering it doesn't take me as long to get anywhere as it used to.
iPaul, this page may help in your decision:
https://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/d ... ctric.html
Awaiting delivery of DS Si4 290 in Narvic Black. Anticipated 31/07/2018 - Hmm, now end of Septembert for a MY19 version @ MY18 price.
Jaguar XE S in Ultimate Black with lots of toys
Number plate X3 *** for Jaguar XE and X4 *** for DS 4 X 4

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:15 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:49 pm
Barnsh wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:53 pm
Barnsh, you must drive with an egg under the accelerator, I can't believe 230Kg less weight gives you 8-14mpg more - the official figures are only 3mpg apart (for combined, but we know all about those)

I reckon everywhere you go must be downhill with a following wind home! :-)
Nope, it gets a good thrashing now and again.
Average over 600miles Oxford to Perthshire ( uphill 😂) 33mpg.
Speed average 74mph.

EDIT: they’re not messing with my engine for CO2 purposes that’s for sure , got the letter for H185 yesterday.
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:27 pm

XES Owner wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:33 pm
Crumbs, I can get up to 52mpg with four passengers from my petrol DS.
Five miles driving and five miles, all pushing. Although it does take a heck of a time to get anywhere :roll: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, I have had 30mpg from it in the first 200 or so miles from new - taking it easy. But since I've given up pushing it everywhere, I regularly achieve 26mpg which I suppose isn't too bad considering it doesn't take me as long to get anywhere as it used to.
iPaul, this page may help in your decision:
https://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/d ... ctric.html
Ha ha
Never pushed mine at all but I don’t do lots of short journeys , that kills mpg especially in the cold.
Shortest trip I’ve done is 40 miles from new , less than 10 miles I WALK 😀 Stop start is always OFF!
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Monteforte

Post by Monteforte » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Hi Paul can I ask what is the deal with oil changes - do you need them every 6k or 8 months? Is it covered by LR?!

I’m looking at petrol but the availability is so limited and prices high. So may need to go diesel on my 7k a year mileage.

iPaul

Post by iPaul » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:49 pm

Guys, many thanks for your input. I'm currently in discussion with my dealership regarding the options. I wasn't expecting to change my car again after only 15 months ownership, so I absolutely want to minimise the expense of any change. That would rely on the good will of the dealership and JLR to help me transition into an equivalent spec petrol DS at minimal cost to me, or (probably more realistically) trying to get JLR to cover the cost of these additional oil change services for the remaining ownership period of my diesel DS. As tempting as a petrol DS sounds, I can't see it ending up being cheaper to run in the long run than my dodgy diesel.

@monteforte: The claimed service intervals for the 2 litre diesel were 21k miles or 24 months. There is a problem well documented on this forum with oil dilution, caused by the emissions control hardware on the diesels, which means that the car may request an oil change ahead of the 21k scheduled service, if it detects too much contamination of the oil caused by the emissions control system. Since I have owned the car, which I bought used with 9k miles on the clock , I have had one extra oil change request, which the dealership performed free and gratis, followed 7k miles later by a scheduled 21k service, and now having travelled a further 5k miles, the car is warning that it will need another oil change within the next 1k miles. In a poll you can find on this forum, of around 120 Diesel DS owners who responded, around 70% saw their first request for an oil change before 7k miles, so it seems to be a not uncommon problem.
2017 HSE Luxury, Waitomo grey, ivory leather with privacy glass and tow bar

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”