Discovery Sport Forum banner

Rear Disc replacement -- Brake maintenance Mode

29K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Comeinhandy 
#1 ·
I need to change the rear discs on my 2017MY discovery sport, I know the rear EPB ( electric parking brake) needs to be in the Maintenance mode, so the brake unit retracts so that the brake piston can be pushed in.

The stealers would use a computer but I think there is another procedure using the brake lever and throttle etc, but tried a few combinations of these that I found on the internet, but these and does not work for my year of car.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Mike

#27 ·
On your fail sheet, did it say something along the lines of this?

Offside/Nearside Rear Brake discs worn, pitted or scored, and seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))

#28 ·
Comeinhandy said:
A surprising reason for a fail, assuming that they still functioned ok. Discs will always corrode as they are steel items exposed to the weather all the time, it will be all the worse if the car isn't used everyday to rub off the rust forming. Same on most cars. Warranty doesn't normally cover wear and tear items like brake pads and discs.
There's a problem with the DS discs, covered by a technical note, where they corrode excessively. It's either poor material or whatever braking duty they do isn't enough to keep them clear of rust.

Several people, quoting the rust, body judder and graunching noise (as specified in the technical note) have had them replaced under warranty, myself included at 25K miles / 2.5 years.

Others have been less fortunate with the dealer refusing to entertain a warranty replacement, or not even prepared to lookup the technical note.

#29 ·
As above.

Dealers are allowed only so much warranty work each month - if they exceed their quota (which is usually the case) they will try and wriggle out of it.

This has happened to me this Autumn (same dealer as -9), and was only resolved after a heated discussion with the head of business there.

Stand your ground, and don't get fobbed off by service - if necessary demand an audience with the DP.

Finally, if you bought your vehicle Approved Used, then you will have 3 years MOT insurance as standard.

#30 ·
I read the technical note. It seems that they sometimes replace the disks under warranty due to more rust than expected. It still surprises me that they are that generous to change a rusted disc under warranty as they rust on all cars. Changing pads or disks, after 3 years, is not that unusual, depending on mileage and use.
I would be very surprised if an approved used warranty would cover wear and tear items like pads and disks. Those sorts of things have to be regularly changed as part of the servicing.

#31 ·
Yes, but they degrade significantly owing to a manufacturing error.

#33 ·
Comeinhandy said:
They are all made of steel. Perhaps they may have some impurities in it perhaps that make them rust more. Only guessing. Probably a lot of other cars or aftermarket discs out there made of the same steel.
But discs don't usually rust on the pad path, they do maybe on the bell or on the outer diameter and the vent holes. It just seems that light, economical braking doesn't shift the beginnings of rust on the disc face and it gets worse and worse until it starts juddering and graunching.

That's the abnormal part, and either it'll just happen again unless I brake like a lunatic every now and again, or the replacement discs are of made of a less likely to rust steel (but I'm no metallurgist). I don't know if this is possible, I assume there are different grades of steel perhaps the replacements are from Sheffield rather than China....

#34 ·
Haggis said:
Hi all
Is there a way to release the electronic handbrake for the fit mechanic.
Disco is on for warranty work at present and also the back brakes but going by other rear brake posts it looks highly unlikely that they will change mine under warranty. I will argue but in the end will do them myself if I get no where.
Thanks
Yes, and you don't need any diagnostic tool or to unplug the EPB servo as has been suggested elsewhere:

2017.0 DISCOVERY SPORT (LC), 206-05
PARKING BRAKE AND ACTUATION
ELECTRONIC PARKING BRAKE
(EPB) SERVICE MODE
ACTIVATION AND
DEACTIVATION

GENERAL PROCEDURES
CAUTIONS:
The electric park brake (EPB) switch apply/release is inhibited
while in this mode (for safety of technicians fingers) so do not
drive the vehicle in this condition. Failure to follow this
instruction may cause personal injury.

This procedure requires the vehicle in the Park or Neutral
position, with the ignition turned ON (the engine must be
OFF) and the parking brake system released.
Once the rear brake pads or brake discs have been installed,
the Service Mode must be cancelled.

ACTIVATION

NOTE:
This procedure allows the parking brake to be released when
removing and installing new rear brake pads or brake discs.

1. Press and hold the parking brake switch in the release
position.
2. Wait one second.
3.Press and hold the accelerator pedal in the wide open throttle
position.
4. Wait one second.
5. Switch the ignition OFF and back ON immediately.

An audible noise will be heard to confirm that the parking brake
has been released in Service Mode.

6. Release the accelerator pedal and release the parking brake
switch to the neutral position.

DEACTIVATION

CAUTION:
This procedure requires the vehicle in the Park or Neutral
position, with the ignition turned ON (the engine must be OFF)
and the parking brake system in Service Mode.

1. Press and hold the parking brake switch in the apply position.
2. Wait one second.
3. Press and hold the accelerator pedal in the wide open throttle
position.
4. Wait one second.
5. Switch the ignition OFF and back ON immediately.

An audible noise will be heard to confirm that the parking brake
has been released from the Service Mode.

6. Release the accelerator pedal and release the parking brake
switch to the neutral position.

As always your success may vary across the model years.

BB

G
#35 ·
Thanks for procedure above. Just tried it on my 15 reg DS. 2.2 engine. Worked a treat. Need to stick to the timings as I had a panic when I couldn't switch off service mode. Tried again with 1 sec between actions and it worked.

Ordered Brembo disks and pads for the rear. Car is out of warranty so no chance of the sorting it. Already had them changed under warranty around 10000miles ago. They just don't last.

#36 ·
Hi im hoping someone on here might have an idea on how to put epb into service mode on discovery sport 2019 l550 2.0td 180

Ive tried the procedure with pedals and 2 sec inbetween with no success, (i think landrover might of updated the software to prevent this)

Is there a diagnostic i can buy that will work with these?

Vehicle has only got 7,500 miles from new and inner rear pads is down to 2.5mm , dealer want £500 to change pads and disc and wont change under warranty , i can do it myself if i could retract the rear calipers ,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.